🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
CaptainAmazing

The Types of Bad Movies That HDTGM Does

Went down a rabbit hole on this in the "Bad Movie Recommendations" forum a while back and the thread finally surfaced again, allowing me to post it here. (So that's why there's not a lot of terribly new stuff on here). I've noticed that a lot of the movies that they do fall into certain categories, like the following:

1. Something that was aiming absurdly high and failed so miserably (Gods of Egypt, The Jazz Singer remake, Battlefield Earth)

2. Something that was aiming low and still failed miserably (Howling 2, Sleepaway Camp, Star Wars Christmas Special)

3. Trying to rip off something else and failing so miserably (Mac & Me, Beautiful Creatures, Congo)

4. Weak celebrity vehicles, especially those with someone already famous for something else "looking to get into acting" (Crossroads, Spiceworld, Kazaam)

5. Attempts to take an existing franchise (not always already a film one) "In a different direction" (Superman IV, Halloween III, Super Mario Brothers)

6. Notorious bombs/duds (Gigli, Stop or my Mom will Shoot, Batman & Robin)

7. Notoriously so-bad-they're-good movies (Birdemic, Zardoz, Gymkata, The Room)

8. Straight-up next-level bonkers stuff, regardless of its infamy (Face/Off, The Room, Hard Ticket to Hawaii, Surf Ninjas)

9. Absolutely anything related to the Fast and the Furious movies.

Any others that I'm not thinking of?

On 1/27/2020 at 7:38 PM, CaptainAmazing said:

Went down a rabbit hole on this in the "Bad Movie Recommendations" forum a while back and the thread finally surfaced again, allowing me to post it here. (So that's why there's not a lot of terribly new stuff on here). I've noticed that a lot of the movies that they do fall into certain categories, like the following:

1. Something that was aiming absurdly high and failed so miserably (Gods of Egypt, The Jazz Singer remake, Battlefield Earth)

2. Something that was aiming low and still failed miserably (Howling 2, Sleepaway Camp, Star Wars Christmas Special)

3. Trying to rip off something else and failing so miserably (Mac & Me, Beautiful Creatures, Congo)

4. Weak celebrity vehicles, especially those with someone already famous for something else "looking to get into acting" (Crossroads, Spiceworld, Kazaam)

5. Attempts to take an existing franchise (not always already a film one) "In a different direction" (Superman IV, Halloween III, Super Mario Brothers)

8. Straight-up next-level bonkers stuff, regardless of its infamy (Face/Off, The Room, Hard Ticket to Hawaii, Surf Ninjas)

10. Zardoz.

On 1/27/2020 at 2:38 PM, CaptainAmazing said:

You said The Room twice.

9945d634-c9a2-4298-9945-bacd40cb3a49_scr

5 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

You said The Room twice.

9945d634-c9a2-4298-9945-bacd40cb3a49_scr

I like The Room.

Plus, things can totally belong in more than one category.

• Haha 1

Crank and Crank 2: just good movies that are crazy (though they don't really do those anymore).

• Like 1

It seems like there is a whole "Hallmark/Holiday Dram-Rom-Com" category that includes things like: The Lake House, Holiday in Handcuffs, The Hottie and The Nottie, Harry & Meghan, Adore, Little Italy - basically something to make Jason cry.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 3:04 PM, wileykat said:

It seems like there is a whole "Hallmark/Holiday Dram-Rom-Com" category that includes things like: The Lake House, Holiday in Handcuffs, The Hottie and The Nottie, Harry & Meghan, Adore, Little Italy - basically something to make Jason cry.

You’re forgetting that Paul will cry at random stuff, too.

• Like 1