🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
sycasey 2.0

The Sound of Music

Should The Sound of Music remain on the list?  

9 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should The Sound of Music remain on the list?

• Yes - Climb ev'ry mountain!
    • No - Couldn't solve a problem like Maria.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/21/20 at 08:00 AM

Amy & Paul yodel through 1965’s blockbuster musical The Sound Of Music! They learn the history of the real Trapp family singers, contemplate Julie Andrews’ post-Sound Of Music career, and ask if the story of the film holds up as well as the songs. Plus: Composer and lyricist Adam Guettel (The Light In The Piazza) talks about his relationship with his grandfather, Richard Rodgers.

Next week Unspooled takes a break from the AFI list to discuss Best Picture winner Parasite! What foreign film do you think should have won Best Picture? Call the Unspooled voicemail line at 747-666-5824 with your answer. Follow us on Twitter @Unspooled, get more info at unspooledpod.com and don’t forget to rate, review & subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts.

Like Paul, I had never seen this before. I know we watched a lot of it in elementary school music class, but I don't know if we ever finished it.

I liked the movie okay. Many of the songs are great. Julie Andrews is great. But I also agree with every criticism brought up in the episode. I don't know any of the characters in a three hour movie. The movie abruptly changes for the worse once they marry.

I'd also argue that the ending is such a slight problem. Yes, it's terrible people were forced to leave because of the Nazis but the story of a wealthy family were able to leave easily without harm isn't a super compelling story of evading the Nazis. Especially when the real story of the von Trapp family was a much easier escape where they simply left by train.

• Like 1

Yea I pretty much agree with Paul completely on this one. I do enjoy the film, very much of it (mainly scenery, most the songs, and Julie Andrews), but I definitely do not think it's good at all.

That lack of compellingness @grudlian. mentioned is basically true for everything in it: beyond the Nazi escape, the romance isn't compelling, nor is the kids' music career, nor Maria's arc. What else is there then? Beats me.

• Like 1

Whenever I watch this I enjoy it up to the intermission and then find that the pace of the story flags badly all the way until the end (and the succession of great songs dries up too). So on a pure "cinephile" level I don't think it holds up. Not that it's bad, just that it's not one of the Top 100. Stuff like Singin' in the Rain and West Side Story seem to use the cinematic form in more interesting ways to communicate the themes and emotion of the piece. Aside from a few of the outdoor location shots, I don't feel like The Sound of Music is much more than a handsomely-mounted version of the stage show.

Of course, in terms of "cultural footprint" this movie is clearly worthy of making the list. Everyone knows this movie and the songs and Julie Andrews' performance in it. It does seem like the movie itself is the reason the musical became so ubiquitous, so on that level I guess it should stay. I voted against it though.

Due to this getting bumped up in the release schedule I haven't watched this yet (I wasn't paying attention at the end of last week, I guess).

I suspected it wasn't my type of movie and one there's a good chance that I would think isn't very good. Everything I'm hearing in the podcast and this thread seems to be confirming those beliefs.

I'll probably pass on this one since I don't feel the need to be a completist (plus cost of time and money). (abstaining on the vote, fwiw).

Sure, it's confirmation bias, but there's a reason why we're succeptible to confirmation bias.

2 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Next week Unspooled takes a break from the AFI list to discuss Best Picture winner Parasite! What foreign film do you think should have won Best Picture? 

Should have won is a weird question with the Oscars.

I'm trying to think of foreign films that are period pieces about a quasi-famous historical figure that requires wearing a prosthetic, set in LA, that is about movie-making. But can't be too good.

I thought the podcast discussion was great for this one, as they really hit the nail on the head on how this is so lovable despite also being so insipid and nonsensical at times.  I'm abstaining from voting, because my head knows this isn't a good movie, but my heart wants to watch it again and then go sing "Edelweiss" at karaoke.  But I agree with Paul and Amy that Mary Poppins would absolutely be a better film to put on the list, if it counts as being American enough for the AFI.  I think it would have been cool to do this back to back with Cabaret, which is another musical set against the backdrop of the rise of Nazi Germany, but with objectively more interesting characters.  

I liked that Paul and Amy talked a bit about the absurdity of the geography concerning the ending, because Salzburg is VERY far from Switzerland, but as pointed out, it's only about an hour train-ride from Munich, which is where the Nazi party began and grew in the 20s.  And I'm super glad they mentioned the weirdness of the "tea with jam and bread" remix, though I'd have also loved a conversation about the weirdness of the awkward soprano dubbings of the word "Goodbye" during each version of "So Long, Farewell".

But I do agree with the assessment that this movie is nonsense. But I still love it. It's one of those "watched it with my mom" kinda, get me in the feels movies.

But... Paul and Amy mentioned that the kid actors didn't really do much after the movie. And specifically called out Nicholas Hammond and the torture he endured getting his hair bleached. I think Nicholas Hammond can take to his grave, that he has the distinction of being the first live-action Spider-Man in the CBS Amazing Spider-Man TV series.

33acbb1c372848a5a4836a9a960ce7e7.jpg

I'm looking forward to when they cover Cabaret, which as Bleary said, is another musical with Nazis in it. I like the tone of Cabaret more than Sound of Music. Good 70's take on the Wiemar years.

• Like 1

I had a lot of points I wanted to discuss after listening to this episode and magically they're just all gone. Poof.

I did feel the same as everyone else that I feel like the movie loses its steam once they marry, but I was legitimately shocked to find out that on Letterboxd I gave this a full 5 stars when I first watched it. It must have truly just dazzled me despite thinking now that the second half lacks that oomph. But I do disagree with the thought that there was no chemistry between Julie and Christopher. I feel that shit.

Also Christopher Plummer's hotness in this movie is just *chef's kiss* iconique.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, taylor anne photo said:

Also Christopher Plummer's hotness in this movie is just *chef's kiss* iconique.

My wife would agree 🙂

• Like 1