🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Episode 233.5 — Minisode 233.5

The true meaning of the word “Jam” and much more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul also offers advice as he opens up the Paul Help Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Space Jam, shares a deleted scene from the Space Jam episode, and opens up the Mail Bag. Plus, find out which movie will be covered next week!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our tour dates over at www.hdtgm.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

• Like 1

As I said in the episode thread, Paul is wrong and Cody is right about the songs being written for the movie. 

Yet he persists in his incorrect belief on Twitter. 

They use the name "Swackhammer" which is the name of DeVito's character. I didn't even remember his name until Genius pointed it out. 

ETA That is my real name, guys. I know you are shocked that my parents didn't Christen me Elektra Boogaloo. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

ETA That is my real name, guys. I know you are shocked that my parents didn't Christen me Elektra Boogaloo

giphy.gif

But to be fair, my real name isn't "Cameron H," but actually "Oedipus Flex." Strange world...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Thanks for your support, forum Paul. How are you today?

I’m doing well, forum June. Thank you for asking. How are you? 🙂

• Like 3

Paul did NOT like my perspective that Disney films are also a commercial enterprise. I got fuck-you'd pretty definitively. Yikes.

I laffed.

And was that Marvin the Martian phone comment, about Marvin being impartial because his is both from space and a Looney Tune, another example of a call almost directly quoting a message board comment? I feel like I did hear it before (or at least read it)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

And was that Marvin the Martian phone comment, about Marvin being impartial because his is both from space and a Looney Tune, another example of a call almost directly quoting a message board comment? I feel like I did hear it before (or at least read it)

That and the “Tune/Toon Squad” call were points brought up on the boards (which Grudlian already corrected, and in all fairness, could easily be a case of parallel thinking). The only reason I’m not more annoyed by this is because both points were made by new posters. That’s not to say it isn’t less wrong or annoying, just that I don’t know them and maybe the people who wrote the posts also called in to double their chance of getting on the mini? I’m not saying that’s what definitely happened, but I don’t know them at all, whereas if it were someone like you or Taylor Anne or another regular, I’d know for a fact you wouldn’t do that.

Still, in cases where the same point is brought up, I do wish they would give the edge to the boards—or at the very least, to the person with the most panache. I mean, it took the Tune Squad caller 30 seconds to ask what the person on the boards asked in 14 words and an image, yet he didn’t actually add anything that made his stand out. I mean, I totally get we can all (including and definitely myself) get verbose on here, and I love hearing/reading everyone’s point. And if you’ve got a good insight, joke, or hook at the end of it all, I’m all in. But if it’s a pretty basic observation without any flair in the writing/telling, and it’s not relevant to the point you’re making, I really don’t need your name, rank, and serial number. “Why “Tune” not “Toon?” (Four words 😜) is totally sufficient. 

Again, while I don’t exactly hate the phoned in C&O’s, I definitely prefer the written ones. In my opinion, they just tend to come across as more well-thought out and encourage a community that exists outside of just the show. It becomes a discussion rather than regurgitation.

In my opinion, as long as we’re allowing phone calls, my preference would be to only use the calls that are truly original. This would eliminate any suspicions (rightly or not) of “that was ripped off the boards!” It also gives the call more of a reason for being outside of just being, “It’s the exact same point, but it makes the episode more dynamic.” 

• Like 4

Also, totally my own opinion, but I’m not sure I’m completely  down with the Tune/Toon question being included just so it could be “called out.” It feels almost like...bullying? I’m sure there wasn’t any ill-intent, but Cody says she included the call, not because it was interesting, insightful, or funny, but, unless I misheard, because of the person’s ignorance and misunderstanding Merry Melodies? 

Like, I get that sometimes we’re wrong, or Paul disagrees, makes fun of us, and tells us to fuck off (looking at you @Quasar Sniffer), and that’s all fun and a part of it. But I don’t really want C&O’s to be chosen when they’re already known to be wrong, just so we can say, “Ha,ha! You don’t know [this basic thing], dork!” There are other posts/calls that could have been chosen instead.

Again, I’m 100% certain it wasn’t intentionally malicious, but it’s still plucking a person out of obscurity, and calling attention to something that could easily be politely ignored, for the express purpose of making fun of them. Personally, that’s a route I would prefer we avoid if at all possible.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

That and the “Tune/Toon Squad” call were points brought up on the boards (which Grudlian already corrected, and in all fairness, could easily be a case of parallel thinking). The only reason I’m not more annoyed by this is because both points were made by new posters. That’s not to say it isn’t less wrong or annoying, just that I don’t know them and maybe the people who wrote the posts also called in to double their chance of getting on the mini? I’m not saying that’s what definitely happened, but I don’t know them at all, whereas if it were someone like you or Taylor Anne or another regular, I’d know for a fact you wouldn’t do that.

Still, in cases where the same point is brought up, I do wish they would give the edge to the boards—or at the very least, to the person with the most panache. I mean, it took the Tune Squad caller 30 seconds to ask what the person on the boards asked in 14 words and an image, yet he didn’t actually add anything that made his stand out. I mean, I totally get we can all (including and definitely myself) get verbose on here, and I love hearing/reading everyone’s point. And if you’ve got a good insight, joke, or hook at the end of it all, I’m all in. But if it’s a pretty basic observation without any flair in the writing/telling, and it’s not relevant to the point you’re making, I really don’t need your name, rank, and serial number. “Why “Tune” not “Toon?” (Four words 😜) is totally sufficient. 

Again, while I don’t exactly hate the phoned in C&O’s, I definitely prefer the written ones. In my opinion, they just tend to come across as more well-thought out and encourage a community that exists outside of just the show. It becomes a discussion rather than regurgitation.

In my opinion, as long as we’re allowing phone calls, my preference would be to only use the calls that are truly original. This would eliminate any suspicions (rightly or not) of “that was ripped off the boards!” It also gives the call more of a reason for being outside of just being, “It’s the exact same point, but it makes the episode more dynamic.” 

I worry about sort of the opposite thing. I worry that as new people on the boards they may feel discouraged by their "work" so to speak, being overlooked in favor of calls that essentially day the same thing. Especially when, as you mentioned, often the people who are on the boards tend to write the questions/ observations on a more engaging and interesting way than how the callers phrase things. I think part of that is due to the general awkward nature of leaving a voice mail message but also partly because I think on the boards we take out time and can really go at a subject. I don't know I just feel like sometimes on the boards we are more passionate and interested in the subject.  I don't mind the calls I just think that we have some really good content on here and I love it .

• Like 5

I agree with both @gigi-tastic and @Cameron H. (they are very smart and it is just wise to agree with them), but even though I went on to clarify my comment further in the board pages, and engaged in debate with people who expressed their opinions in ways more eloquent than I did, it felt like the "fuck you" that I got was much more playful and funny than what the callers get sometimes because I had a complete thought that was then read by Paul. It's just easier to riff off of a full statement than a fuzzy phone call, and so the riffs spawned of of the message board comments are usually just funnier because we put in more work in with our comments. The Marvin the Martian thing is a perfect example.

• Like 2

I guess I just mean, I had my say with my comment. But did the guy who had the Toons/Tunes comment have his say? Could we have just said, "it's T-U-N-E-S, my dude, because Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes was Warner Brothers's way of taking the piss out of Disney's "Silly Symphonies.""

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

I agree with both @gigi-tastic and @Cameron H. (they are very smart and it is just wise to agree with them), but even though I went on to clarify my comment further in the board pages, and engaged in debate with people who expressed their opinions in ways more eloquent than I did, it felt like the "fuck you" that I got was much more playful and funny than what the callers get sometimes because I had a complete thought that was then read by Paul. It's just easier to riff off of a full statement than a fuzzy phone call, and so the riffs spawned of of the message board comments are usually just funnier because we put in more work in with our comments. The Marvin the Martian thing is a perfect example.

I agree. @gigi-tastic and I are extremely smart 😜 But so are you! In fact, everyone on the boards is smarter than 95% of the people I interact with irl.

Kpyh.gif

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

In fact, everyone on the boards is smarter than 95% of the people I interact with irl.

What's a jam tho

• Like 4
  • Hedgehog 2

On 2/22/2020 at 8:17 PM, AlmostAGhost said:

What's a jam tho

Clearly “jam” in the stuff that gets between your toes—much like how the nerdlucks have inserted themselves in Tuneville.

• Like 2

I'm watching Prelude to a Kiss, it's freaking wild. No idea how it got 63% on Rotten Tomatoes, but it's such a good pick for the podcast. Also, Stanley Tucci with hair.

• Like 2

Is anyone else finding it impossible to watch Prelude to a Kiss without a Starz subscription? I want to see early 90's Alec Baldwin wearing gigantic glasses in a body switcheroo!!

• Like 1

Re: The Calls

I feel like I've really made my stance on them clear by this point, but I do feel like it would be nice to keep calls to the "advice" part of the show and the forum for the C&Os part of the show. I feel like the forums are already losing a lot of their oomph, especially now that Who Charted is completely behind a paywall and Unspooled only looks at Facebook, also because lol the few bad apples from here. The more they accept calls for C&Os the more they let people know that's the way to go, and then they get bombarded with 500 calls telling Paul what the definition of "jam" is.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, taylor anne photo said:

Re: The Calls

I feel like I've really made my stance on them clear by this point, but I do feel like it would be nice to keep calls to the "advice" part of the show and the forum for the C&Os part of the show. I feel like the forums are already losing a lot of their oomph, especially now that Who Charted is completely behind a paywall and Unspooled only looks at Facebook, also because lol the few bad apples from here. The more they accept calls for C&Os the more they let people know that's the way to go, and then they get bombarded with 500 calls telling Paul what the definition of "jam" is.

3bd7c113d8aa87c4289fa845.gif

• Like 2

You guys now I really want this jam I had in Chicago at a cafe called Wildberry. They don't have an online store and this is the current tragedy of my life. I AM IN A JAM OVER JAM Y'ALL!

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 2:57 AM, LincolnHockOrHox said:

Is anyone else finding it impossible to watch Prelude to a Kiss without a Starz subscription? I want to see early 90's Alec Baldwin wearing gigantic glasses in a body switcheroo!!

I planned on watching this tonight and, looking at Amazon, this seems to be the case. I'd prefer to not sign up for Starz just to watch this. Does anyone know anyplace else to stream this?

11 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I planned on watching this tonight and, looking at Amazon, this seems to be the case. I'd prefer to not sign up for Starz just to watch this. Does anyone know anyplace else to stream this?

That’s the only way I know. I’m signing up for a 7-day free preview.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

That’s the only way I know. I’m signing up for a 7-day free preview.

Hmmm... I'm not getting the option for a seven day preview. That might be because I'm checking through the phone app but it might also be because I'm using the free preview of Prime this month. I'll have to check when I get home.

I really hope the show isn't going to start having impossible to find movies again. If I need Prime and then a subscription on top of that, ugh.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Hmmm... I'm not getting the option for a seven day preview. That might be because I'm checking through the phone app but it might also be because I'm using the free preview of Prime this month. I'll have to check when I get home.

I really hope the show isn't going to start having impossible to find movies again. If I need Prime and then a subscription on top of that, ugh.

Sometimes you have to get creative with your free previews. I’ve used my previews for Prime and Hulu, but not Apple TV. 😀

If you have an iPhone, you should be able to do it through the TV app.

Honestly, we really need to get on the ball with a rabb.it replacement. Not only for our movie nights, but for situations like this where maybe people can rotate renting the movies and we can watch in a room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Sometimes you have to get creative with your free previews. I’ve used my previews for Prime and Hulu, but not Apple TV. 😀

If you have an iPhone, you should be able to do it through the TV app.

Honestly, we really need to get on the ball with a rabb.it replacement. Not only for our movie nights, but for situations like this where maybe people can rotate renting the movies and we can watch in a room.

I used my free preview of Hulu but it's cheaper to get a month of that and a free week of Starz than to get a month of Starz through Prime. That's way too much work for one movie but 10 minutes in and it's for sure HDTGM worthy. I guess I can finally watch the new Veronica Mars though.

This is definitely a reason for us to find a rabb.it replacement. 

• Like 1