🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Episode 233.5 — Minisode 233.5

13 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I guess I can finally watch the new Veronica Mars though.

Oh man post your thoughts when you finish... cause I have some of my own...

2 hours ago, taylor anne photo said:

Oh man post your thoughts when you finish... cause I have some of my own...

Is it better or worse than the movie? Because now you have me worried.

11 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Is it better or worse than the movie? Because now you have me worried.

I actually loved the movie so I would say worse lol.

Honestly I'm surprised you haven't heard anything about it by now. The internet was literally on fire because of it.

ETA: I say I love the movie but I am still pissed off they killed Gia. JUSTICE FOR GIA!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, taylor anne photo said:

Honestly I'm surprised you haven't heard anything about it by now. The internet was literally on fire because of it.

ETA: I say I love the movie but I am still pissed off they killed Gia. JUSTICE FOR GIA!!!

We watched the first episode and decided the movie was a fitting ending. I do, however, know what happens. I stand by my decision 😐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taylor anne photo said:

You'd be surprised how much internet fervor I miss. I don't really do social media much.

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

We watched the first episode and decided the movie was a fitting ending. I do, however, know what happens. I stand by my decision 😐

Oof. I was going in with low expectations but this is worrying. I thought the movie was okay but an unnecessary coda.

I'm not going to be the best judge. I haven't seen the show since, idk, 2009? Even when the movie came out, I couldn't remember much of anyone's backstory or names (for example, I don't know who Gia is or why I should be upset that she died). So, if there is something super crazy, I might just fall back on "This isn't how I remember the show, but maybe I'm just forgetting it all????"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I used my free preview of Hulu but it's cheaper to get a month of that and a free week of Starz than to get a month of Starz through Prime. That's way too much work for one movie but 10 minutes in and it's for sure HDTGM worthy. I guess I can finally watch the new Veronica Mars though.

This is definitely a reason for us to find a rabb.it replacement. 

Just FYI, there WAS a deal where you could get a combo package of Spotify and Hulu for $10 a month. That’s pretty cheap. Don’t know if they’re still offering.

i actually like Hulu better than Netflix, personally. They have more interesting movies—Sorry to another You among others—exclusively, and they’re getting the entire FX library. (and already have exclusive rights to Atlanta and other FX shows). Plus, they have  Originals like Ramy and Castle Rock, which I like a lot.

18 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I used my free preview of Hulu but it's cheaper to get a month of that and a free week of Starz than to get a month of Starz through Prime. That's way too much work for one movie but 10 minutes in and it's for sure HDTGM worthy. I guess I can finally watch the new Veronica Mars though.

This is definitely a reason for us to find a rabb.it replacement. 

Just FYI, there WAS a deal where you could get a combo package of Spotify and Hulu for $10 a month. That’s pretty cheap. Don’t know if they’re still offering.

i actually like Hulu better than Netflix, personally. They have more interesting movies—Sorry to another You among others—exclusively, and they’re getting the entire FX library. (and already have exclusive rights to Atlanta and other FX shows). Plus, they have  Originals like Ramy and Castle Rock, which I like a lot.

one day I’ll learn that I only need to hit the “submit” button once on my phone, but today is not that day.

Edited by GrahamS.
I pushed submit too many fucking times.

58 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

You'd be surprised how much internet fervor I miss. I don't really do social media much.

Oof. I was going in with low expectations but this is worrying. I thought the movie was okay but an unnecessary coda.

I'm not going to be the best judge. I haven't seen the show since, idk, 2009? Even when the movie came out, I couldn't remember much of anyone's backstory or names (for example, I don't know who Gia is or why I should be upset that she died). So, if there is something super crazy, I might just fall back on "This isn't how I remember the show, but maybe I'm just forgetting it all????"

You might be fine then. I actually watched the movie first, binged the show, re-watched the movie, and then tried the new season, so everything was pretty fresh. 

Honestly, I can’t even tell you why I didn’t like the new season anymore. I just remember watching the first ep and being like, “I don’t want to watch anymore.” IIRC, part of my issue was that she’s an adult rather than a teenager so it loses some of its charm. It would be like if Neil Patrick Harris brought back Doogie Howser. Who wants to watch a show about an adult Doogie?

• Like 1

I'm still angry.

57 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I woudn't even say that the quality is bad... there are just some decisions made by the show that are bad... like... really bad...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

IIRC, part of my issue was that she’s an adult rather than a teenager so it loses some of its charm. It would be like if Neil Patrick Harris brought back Doogie Howser. Who wants to watch a show about an adult Doogie?

This is definitely part of my issue as well, but not because of them bringing it back - I was honestly in the camp of I would watch VM do her shit until she was Golden Girls age - but rather her characterization at this point. She's an adult acting the same as she did as a teenager, and that's fucking frustrating to watch.

Not even a spoiler for Grudlian, because as Cameron said, all of that is really in the first episode.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, taylor anne photo said:

I'm still angry.

I woudn't even say that the quality is bad... there are just some decisions made by the show that are bad... like... really bad...

I agree. The quality was good. The production values are more in line with the movie. I really wish I could remember what happened in that episode that really turned me off. I feel like there was something specific...

Just now, taylor anne photo said:

This is definitely part of my issue as well, but not because of them bringing it back - I was honestly in the camp of I would watch VM do her shit until she was Golden Girls age - but rather her characterization at this point. She's an adult acting the same as she did as a teenager, and that's fucking frustrating to watch.

Not even a spoiler for Grudlian, because as Cameron said, all of that is really in the first episode.

Yeah, I totally agree, and maybe I could have worded that better. I think that’s why I like to end it with the movie because you really felt she had grown and she’s where she either wants or needs to be. The new season felt reductive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Yeah, I totally agree, and maybe I could have worded that better. I think that’s why I like to end it with the movie because you really felt she had grown and she’s where she either wants or needs to be. The new season felt reductive.

100%

And to comment on your previous post, I can't even remember what happens specifically in that first episode cause I binged them all at once lol. But I have a lot more feelings about the writing and the season itself before even the thing that you know happens that made me angry lol.

Which like lol I feel telling Grudlian the quality was good while also saying THE WRITING SUCKED seems hypocritical but like you said earlier, the production value is on point and you can tell everyone brought their A game for it, but also it TOTALLY is reductive and feels off.

• Like 3

You might be fine then. I actually watched the movie first, binged the show, re-watched the movie, and then tried the new season, so everything was pretty fresh. 

Honestly, I can’t even tell you why I didn’t like the new season anymore. I just remember watching the first ep and being like, “I don’t want to watch anymore.” IIRC, part of my issue was that she’s an adult rather than a teenager so it loses some of its charm. It would be like if Neil Patrick Harris brought back Doogie Howser. Who wants to watch a show about an adult Doogie?

This is kind of my vague worry. At this point, she's just a private eye, right (I assume it's a bit more complex but whatever)? Plus all the high school drama makes less sense if everyone is in their 30s. Why am I watching this beyond nostalgia?

I'd be fine with her just being Columbo or Jessica Fletcher solving murders. I don't need her to be Veronica Mars.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

This is kind of my vague worry. At this point, she's just a private eye, right (I assume it's a bit more complex but whatever)? Plus all the high school drama makes less sense if everyone is in their 30s. Why am I watching this beyond nostalgia?

I'd be fine with her just being Columbo or Jessica Fletcher solving murders. I don't need her to be Veronica Mars.

Yeah, it’s pretty much what @taylor anne photo said. She’s older, but she hasn’t really grown up. Like, you can go 12 Seasons w/ JB Fletcher because she’s already in her 50’s at the start of the series. But a now 30-something shouldn’t still be acting like she did at 17.

That’s why I think the movie worked so well for me even though I hadn’t seen the series. She’s trying to decide what to do with her life, and at the end, she makes a decision. You didn’t need the series to get that. Now it’s just like...she’s a private eye, I guess?  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Yeah, it’s pretty much what @taylor anne photo said. She’s older, but she hasn’t really grown up. Like, you can go 12 Seasons w/ JB Fletcher because she’s already in her 50’s at the start of the series. But a now 30-something shouldn’t still be acting like she did at 17.

That’s why I think the movie worked so well for me even though I hadn’t seen the series. She’s trying to decide what to do with her life, and at the end, she makes a decision. You didn’t need the series to get that. Now it’s just like...she’s a private eye, I guess?  

How has she not grown? She was already more mature than everyone. I get some mature people go through a second adolescence to make up for not having one but that's not Veronica Mars. We heard her over monologue. We know who she is. I'm not expecting her to feel super old, but I expect gett to be a totally put together adult.

I haven't even watched it yet and I'm angry. Why?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

How has she not grown? She was already more mature than everyone. I get some mature people go through a second adolescence to make up for not having one but that's not Veronica Mars. We heard her over monologue. We know who she is. I'm not expecting her to feel super old, but I expect gett to be a totally put together adult.

I haven't even watched it yet and I'm angry. Why?

Here's a minor spoiler: If Logan Echolls is the most emotionally mature person on screen then you know you've got a problem.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, taylor anne photo said:

I haven’t watched the new season, but I wonder how much was because of Hulu’s demands. Hulu has the equivalent of hard R-rated material in its programming, and the Veronica Mars team were prepared to fully embrace that and had written a pilot with a lot of foul language in it, but Hulu wanted the program to remain TV-14.

What I vaguely remember from the article was that Hulu didn’t want the character to lose the appeal that made the show successful. But why not try something new?  Kristen Bell is in her thirties so it seems like she should be able to talk/act like someone in her thirties. 

1 hour ago, taylor anne photo said:

Here's a minor spoiler: If Logan Echolls is the most emotionally mature person on screen then you know you've got a problem.

Ugh. Why? How?

I'll be honest, I had mostly forgotten why I hated Logan but I knew I hated him. So, I skimmed a Veronica Mars wiki of him (and got what I assume is a major season 4 spoiler) and hated him all over again. Also, why the heck did she date him? Veronica being emotionally stupid is starting to make sense.

2 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

What I vaguely remember from the article was that Hulu didn’t want the character to lose the appeal that made the show successful. But why not try something new?  Kristen Bell is in her thirties so it seems like she should be able to talk/act like someone in her thirties. 

I get your point but I also get Hulu's point. I certainly don't care if the show has swearing or violence but I don't want it to feel like they are R rated just because they can be.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

I haven’t watched the new season, but I wonder how much was because of Hulu’s demands. Hulu has the equivalent of hard R-rated material in its programming, and the Veronica Mars team were prepared to fully embrace that and had written a pilot with a lot of foul language in it, but Hulu wanted the program to remain TV-14.

Based on what I didn't like and reading comments from Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell after the season aired and everyone was pissed... It wasn't Hulu's fault... They decided they wanted to "take back their show" and stop giving "fan service" aka totally go against everything they had written up until this point.

12 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Ugh. Why? How?

I'll be honest, I had mostly forgotten why I hated Logan but I knew I hated him. So, I skimmed a Veronica Mars wiki of him (and got what I assume is a major season 4 spoiler) and hated him all over again. Also, why the heck did she date him? Veronica being emotionally stupid is starting to make sense.

Now hold on a minute there friend lol! Team Logan Echolls until the day I DIE!!!

• Like 2

Haha I used to always "argue" with an ex about Veronica and Logan. I wanted way better for her but she was like, he's great.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, taylor anne photo said:

Now hold on a minute there friend lol! Team Logan Echolls until the day I DIE!!!

Team Veronica is better than any of the chumps on the show.

6 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Haha I used to always "argue" with an ex about Veronica and Logan. I wanted way better for her but she was like, he's great.

This guy gets it. This is like Rory Gilmore all over again. She's too good for any of her boyfriends (excluding Year In The Life obviously where Rory is trash)

• Like 1