🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
GrahamS.

Purple Rain (1984)

This will be a controversial choice. I just watched this. Here are the things that are good about this movie.

1. Prince’s opening and closing performances.

2. Morris Day (who’s also fucking awesome). Acting-wise, he’s the best thing in this film. Pretty much every scene he’s in is funny. And his music numbers are entertaining.

otherwise, holy shit,Prince is a fucking asshole in this film. And I’m a Prince fan. I’m legitimately surprised that he allowed himself to look THIS bad. Perhaps he thought he was giving off a tortured artist vibe—and the film is semi-autobiographical—but he treats Appolonia (and pretty much all the women around him) like shit. Why her character is romantically drawn to him is a totally underdeveloped mystery, since he abuses her fairly routinely.

Also: I will go out on a limb and say Computer Blue is a terrible song. So is Appolonia’s song.

Dont get me wrong, the soundtrack to this movie largely kicks ass and some of the musical sequences are great (and besides Morris Day, they’re the main reason to watch the film). But man, there’s some dark stuff here that’s given a superficial 80s music-video style treatment, and it’s pretty fucking jarring.

i know people—especially Jason—would object, but I would be interested in hearing Jason, June and Paul take an honest look at this film. I know this film has an iconic reputation, but goddamn is it problematic.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:20 PM, Blast Hardcheese said:

This over Graffiti Bridge?!?

In the immortal words of Rudy Ray Moore:

Haha! I’ve just watched Purple Rain and have never seen Graffiti Bridge, so I can’t make a comparison.

12 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Haha! I’ve just watched Purple Rain and have never seen Graffiti Bridge, so I can’t make a comparison.

You, sir, are in for a treat. It makes Purple Rain look like Casablanca.

• Like 1