🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

Episode 234.5 — Minisode 234.5

The Star Wars order decided, Molson drinkers unite, and more on this week's mini-sode! Paul also offers advice as he opens up the Paul Help Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Prelude to a Kiss, and opens up the Mail Bag. Plus, find out which movie will be covered next week!

The best order for the Star Wars movies is Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6. Then maybe don't bother with the rest of the franchise?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

The best order for the Star Wars movies is Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6. Then maybe don't bother with the rest of the franchise?

I'd rather watch Rogue One and episodes 7-9 before 5 or 6 again, so 🤷‍♂️

Edited to add: psyched for Underworld next week, as far as it is possible to be psyched for that movie. One of my first dates with my wife was to see Underworld III, the one that doesn't star Kate Beckinsale, and we have been going to them since, along with all the other bad Legendary Studios monster horror chiller films like I, Frankenstein and Dracula Untold. Underworld III is like The Magnificent Ambersons by comparison.

Edited to change 4 or 5 (insane) to 5 or 6 (relatively sane)

10 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I'd rather watch Rogue One and episodes 7-9 before 5 or 6 again, so 🤷‍♂️

Edited to add: psyched for Underworld next week, as far as it is possible to be psyched for that movie. One of my first dates with my wife was to see Underworld III, the one that doesn't star Kate Beckinsale, and we have been going to them since, along with all the other bad Legendary Studios monster horror chiller films like I, Frankenstein and Dracula Untold. Underworld III is like The Magnificent Ambersons by comparison.

Edited to change 4 or 5 (insane) to 5 or 6 (relatively sane)

You'd rather watch the new trilogy over Empire? I think Empire is overrated but I wouldn't say it's worse than the new movies.

1 minute ago, grudlian. said:

You'd rather watch the new trilogy over Empire? I think Empire is overrated but I wouldn't say it's worse than the new movies.

Exactly, it's overrated. And yeah, I can easily see myself watching the new trilogy more often than the original, for now anyway, if only because I have seen the original so many times. Plus, if I'm honest, the new films look better, are better written and acted, essentially thematic remakes of the original. So it's like being asked if I want to watch the original version of The Thing, or Carpenter's, or the recent premake. I like them all. If pressed I'd say Carpenter's is the best in my mind, but I'm more likely to watch the other two, which I have seen less.

I do think that 6 is just not a very good movie, so that doesn't help. SF trilogies weren't the shiny well oiled machines that they are now. Amusingly, ep. 6 was my first date with the girl who would become my first wife. But that has no negative connotation for how I feel about the film, just mentioning it because of my mentioning Underworld III earlier.

Underworld: Bloodwars is on SyFy for free if you have that channel. 

Best Star Wars order: 4, 5, 6, Rogue One, 7, 8. That's all you need.

(ROTJ isn't a good movie, no, but you need it to wrap up the first trilogy. TLJ is as good an ending as the franchise is gonna get.)

Here’s my star wars order along with reasoning:

1, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, Rogue, 7, Solo, 8, 9

Ok, so watching Phantom Menace first sets up the world and introduces us to Obi-Wan. This gives us a reference for what he’s talking about when explaining things to Luke. Also, by jumping from Phantom Menace straight to A New Hope, it preserves the surprise reveal in ESB. Without AotC and RotS yet, you won’t know that little Ani turns into Darth Vader. Then, after the reveal in Empire, you go back to II and III to see how it all went down. Watching Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith right before Return of the Jedi gives you a good continuous story for Palpatine. Think, while you learn Darth Vader is Anakin in Empire, you don’t know who the Emperor is. It will be just as much a surprise that the Naboo senator from TPM became the emperor as it was that Anakin became Vader.

With the prequel and original series wrapped up, it’s a good a time as any to watch Rogue One.  It doesn’t really fit anywhere else and will be a nice nostalgic trip back in time anyway. Then it’s on to the sequels!
After Han dies in The Force Awakens, we can “honor” him by watching Solo. Then it’s straight on til morning with 8 and 9. 

as far as Star Wars goes the Machete sequence is the best. If you watch the films in numerical order the story becomes that of Anakin, and he really doesn't have much of a story arc. He's an annoying kid, to shitty teen to evil adult, with a completely unearned redemption at the end of his story before the new sequels (7-9). If you watch the Machete sequence the films main story arc rests back on Lukes journey which is a much more interesting journey and the prequels become a point where we learn of Anakin's history along with Luke. This way we go from Empire "I am your father", Luke studies this history and trains his skills so when he shows up in Jedi as a full fledged Jedi knight it's a more believable reveal. It also re-enforces his choices throughout all 9 films.  

Now to beer, in Canada the two biggest beer brands are Molson's and Labatt's. The top spot has been switching back and forth between Molson Canadian and Labatt's Blue. Prelude to a Kiss came out when Labatt's Blue was still on top but Molson was just about to launch their new "I am Canadian" campaign that would put them on top to this day. As it stands Molson Canadian is the second most popular beer in Canada and has been since it overtook Blue in the 90's. The top beer here, Moosehead. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this