🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GrahamS.

We need to start a coronavirus movie group

Seattle has just closed down its public schools—where I work— due to the coronavirus for TWO WEEKS. Holy shit!  I have a ton of time to watch movies!

Apologies if I’m appearing to be a callous dick who doesn’t care about real life suffering. It’s horrible that people are dying from this. Just trying to find a bright side to being shut out of work and having city rules get increasingly restrictive.

i hope everyone is doing OK.

A friend of mine asked for suggestions for a Nick Cage movie marathon. That sounded very HDTGM to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

A friend of mine asked for suggestions for a Nick Cage movie marathon. That sounded very HDTGM to me. 

Excellent idea. I guess it depends on what kind of Nicolas Cage movies you want (and there are a surprising variety). The only one of his that I’ve seen that I wouldn’t watch again (and I respect it, but it’s a colossal bummer)  is Leaving Las Vegas. Unless you enjoy being horribly depressed, AVOID AT ALL COSTS. But still, a very well-made film and both he and Elizabeth Shue are great in it.

otherwise, I’ll make a stab at starting the list. He’s done so many that this is in no way comprehensive. Here goes:

I’ll start with the most mainstream/critically appreciated films. The first film that got me into Nic Cage—and the Coen Brothers—and is where I got my profile pic from is...Raising Arizona. I saw that film in the theater and it blew my twelve-year-old mind. The rest of the list: Valley Girl, Moonstruck, Red Rock West (fucking great, but not streaming, as far as I know), Adaptation, Joe, Birdy, Face/Off (I know some people hate this one, but I love it and it was a critical/commercial hit).

Mainstream films that aren’t great but are fun: The Rock, Con Air. Some people like those National Treasure movies but I haven’t seen them. I liked Honeymoon in Vegas but I haven’t seen that in a LONG time.

WTF Nicolas Cage movies, which are more divisive: Vampire’s KISS, Wild at Heart, Bad Lieutenant:Port of Call New Orleans (or whatever the awkward title is. Great movie, terrible title), Mandy, Mom and Dad, and last but not least, The Color out of Space (which is an H.P. Lovecraft adaptation that just came out. It is fucking bonkers and a lot of fun).

Whew! Those are the ones that I can remember and have seen. I’ll be interested to see what people add to it and what their opinions are.😁

Oh, BTW, Gone in 60 Seconds FUCKING SUCKS. Tried to watch that one a couple years ago and he’s just sleepwalking through it. Great cast, shoulda been fun, but boring as can be.

OH AND HOLY SHIT... THIS!!!’

Samuel L. Jackson pre- Pulp Fiction, Nic Cage. It played at the movie theater I worked at in high school and I remember it being offensively bad then. Would be curious to see it now. It might be on YouTube.

I'm waiting in anticipation to be allowed to work from home until further notice (which honestly every company that has this ability should be fucking doing it) and I keep thinking "maybe now I can actually watch The Witcher!" 😂

• Like 1

Bad news for Paul and Jason...I just read that Fast and Furious 9 has been pushed back until next year due to Coronavirus.

Since we are all stuck at home, I propose that they make all old HDTGM episodes available for everyone to download and listen to to help pass the time.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 4:00 PM, taylor anne photo said:

I'm waiting in anticipation to be allowed to work from home until further notice (which honestly every company that has this ability should be fucking doing it) and I keep thinking "maybe now I can actually watch The Witcher!" 😂

The Witcher is fun, less Game of Thron-ey than i thought it would be, and better for it ( Although there are dragons. And nudity ). I'm crossing my fingers for a couple of days to finally watch the last eps of The Good Place.

Hope everybody is ok, and taking precautions. Be safe yall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omaxem said:

The Witcher is fun, less Game of Thron-ey than i thought it would be, and better for it ( Although there are dragons. And nudity ). I'm crossing my fingers for a couple of days to finally watch the last eps of The Good Place.

Agree 100% with the health sentiments here.

the last season of The Good place was great. Wrapped it up really well, I thought.

i also really enjoyed the last season of Legion. I know the show doesn’t appeal to everybody—and I wasn’t really a fan of season 2—but it does a fairly good job of wrapping up and is a unique show.

Plus you get to see Jason and Jemaine Clement have a rap battle!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Agree 100% with the health sentiments here.

the last season of The Good place was great. Wrapped it up really well, I thought.

i also really enjoyed the last season of Legion. I know the show doesn’t appeal to everybody—and I wasn’t really a fan of season 2—but it does a fairly good job of wrapping up and is a unique show.

See, I was the opposite - loved S2 of Legion and didn't love S3 as much as I thought I would. What I should do is rewatch the whole series and all of Fargo, just to be safe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

23 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

See, I was the opposite - loved S2 of Legion and didn't love S3 as much as I thought I would. What I should do is rewatch the whole series and all of Fargo, just to be safe.

I liked the ending of Legion, you can't say that they 100% nailed it, but

Spoiler

David and Sids

ending was very sweet, and the

Spoiler

TimeEaters

were a a great take on

Spoiler

a vilain.

But hey, GrahamS, lets start building a list. Are we going full Cage? Definitely down for Raising Arizona and Mandy, and i still haven't seen Color Out of Space but that one def looks like HDTGM material.

We got 2 weeks ( at least ) from work starting today, i'm adding The Lighthouse and Portrait of a Lady on Fire to my must see list. 

If people are looking for good stuff to binge while working from home or whatever, I highly recommend the animated Star Wars series The Clone Wars and Rebels, as well as Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.

6 hours ago, Omaxem said:

The Witcher is very clearly made with women at the helm I feel like. It knows what we want and that's women who want to be powerful and fucking feral  sometimes and for  Henry Cavill to fight shit in obscenely tight clothes. It makes no sense, has no proper timeline, and refuses to explain itself... and I *loved* it. 

also you Will get Toss A Coin To Your Witcher stuck in your head because that song's a certified bop.  Just accept it. 

• Like 1

I really recommend the show The Detour. It stars Jason Jones and is co produced by him and his wife the always amazing Samantha Bee ( I love their love. They met in an unauthorized production of a Sailor Moon play! ) it's fucking hilarious and the first season deals with maybe deadly hand sanitizer?

6 hours ago, Omaxem said:

I liked the ending of Legion, you can't say that they 100% nailed it, but

Hide contents

David and Sids

ending was very sweet, and the

Hide contents

TimeEaters

were a a great take on

Hide contents

a vilain.

But hey, GrahamS, lets start building a list. Are we going full Cage? Definitely down for Raising Arizona and Mandy, and i still haven't seen Color Out of Space but that one def looks like HDTGM material.

We got 2 weeks ( at least ) from work starting today, i'm adding The Lighthouse and Portrait of a Lady on Fire to my must see list. 

I’m down for building a list, just need another day to think of some solid options (and of course I’m down for Nicolas Cage). The more corona is ramping up, the more a list like this seems like a necessity (for entertainment purposes). Seattle Schools are now out until the end of April and a lot of coffee shops (and I’m presuming restaurants) are operating on a strictly to-go basis.

if anyone has Hulu, I just watched The Art of Self Defense with Jesse Eisenberg, Imogen Poots and Alessandro Nicola (who Played Nic Cage’s brother in Face/Off). It’s a very quirky, fairly violent black comedy about toxic masculinity in a karate dojo. It’s Fight Club for 2019, but with odder rhythms. The cast is excellent and Eisenberg is very funny as a character who seems perpetually awkward and out of place (possibly even more so than usual). Not to everyone’s taste, but recommended as a film that was overlooked this last summer. 

3 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Cats is coming out on streaming. Should we watch as a group? I didn’t get to go to an Alamo rowdy screening...

https://www.playbill.com/article/cats-movie-released-for-digital-purchase-march-17

Sure! I wouldn’t want to buy it, I’m not THAT committed to it, but I’d rent it.

i saw the play in high school and was thoroughly confused by it/kinda hated it, by the way. I may or may not watch this sober.

STARZ has a deal now where it’s $4.99 a month. I wanted to watch Rear Window for unspooled and it was streaming it, so I went ahead and got it. STARZ is actually streaming a number of HDTGM/Unspooled movies, just FYI.

1 hour ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Seth Rogen watched Cats. https://mashable.com/article/seth-rogen-cats-stoned-watch/

i dont know why why I am pushing Cats so hard when I was scared of the commercial growing up. It’s just all I can think of. 

... and I am scared to watch it alone. 

I’m down to watch it! But honestly, with the salary of a special ed instructional assistant—and I’m lucky to have that, I’m fully aware and thankful for that right now—I have to be choosy about how I spend my money. And PURCHASING Cats—sight unseen—just seems like a step too far. I’m happy to rent it, but it doesn’t seem to be available until April 7th. And since schools are still going to be closed, I can wait.

That said, if there is a way to watch it without spending $20+, I’m into it.

And I Think you’re right to be terrified😁, Also, I think if I watched it stoned, there are 50/50 odds that it would haunt my dreams.

• Like 1

Ok, I didn’t realize it was so much. Do we know when it is avail for rent?

what about Great Wall?

25 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Ok, I didn’t realize it was so much. Do we know when it is avail for rent?

what about Great Wall?

April 7th.

yes, I’d watch Great Wall.

Also, Paul just posted on Twitter that they were able to talk Showtime into giving out month-long free trials to watch Black Monday (and other stuff, I’m assuming).

Sign in to follow this