🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GrahamS.

Coronavirus movie group lists

I’m trying to gather suggestions into more straightforward groups/lists with less blathering on (on my part). Electra Boogaloo requested a Nic Cage list, so here is the streamlined edition. I’d be happy to watch any of these movies anytime. I will be coming up with more lists and am happy for any/all suggestions. Just trying to get the ball rolling.

Nic Cage list in no apparent order

Raising Arizona

Valley Girl

Birdy

Moonstruck

Wild at Heart

Red Rock West

Face/Off (HDTGM episode)

The Rock

Adaptation

Vampire’s Kiss (HDTGM episode)

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Lord of War

The Wicker Man (HDTGM episode)

Mandy

Mom and Dad

The Color Out of Space

if you haven’t heard of The ColorOut of Space, I saw it in the theater and it was a blast.  It was directed by Richard Stanley, who was the ORIGINAL director of the Marlon Brando version of The Island of Dr. Moreau and is in the excellent documentary Lost Soul, about the turbulent production of THAT film. Here’s the preview for The Color Out of Space.

It makes for a good double feature with Mom and Dad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrGuts1003 said:

I’m surprised Snake Eyes isn’t on this list.

I totally forgot about it. Thanks! 

I'm willing to go through as many Nic Cage films as I can find across my streaming apps. Is there any order or plan? When I watch one, should I just come here and share?

4 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I'm willing to go through as many Nic Cage films as I can find across my streaming apps. Is there any order or plan? When I watch one, should I just come here and share?

I don't endorse Reddit one way or another but it is often a good place to find someone who has done a thing:

3 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Kinda just making this up as I go. The easiest way to go about it—I think—is find which movies are easily available for streaming and pick one. If you want to watch one on your own and talk about it, that’s fine, too. Currently—due to the intense virus restrictions and not much to do—I have Hulu, free trials of Cinemax and Showtime, Netflix and the free library services Kanopy and Hoopla. Don’t know if any of the films are on those but I can check.

Also I’m not looking for total control (as if). If anyone has suggestions for other movies or shows that you want to talk about, that’s awesome. We can plan that out. For example, I’ve just started watching Black Monday on Showtime and am enjoying it so far, but am only on the second episode of the first season.

But back to Nic Cage—I’ll see what I can find and post it.

Here’s the Nic Cage List with streaming services added. A LOT aren’t streaming for free/with subscription at all, but I’ve marked which ones are.

Nic Cage list in no apparent order

Raising Arizona—HBO (I would also rent this one)

Valley Girl

Birdy

Moonstruck—Prime Video and Epix

Wild at Heart

Red Rock West

Face/Off (HDTGM episode)

The Rock

Adaptation—free on Sony Crackle

Vampire’s Kiss (HDTGM episode)

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (Kanopy, Sony Crackle, Tubi, VUDU, IMDB TV)

Lord of War— Hulu and Amazon Prime

The Wicker Man (HDTGM episode)

Mandy—Shudder and Hoopla (library streaming service)

Mom and Dad—Hulu

The Color Out of Space 

Bringing out the Dead—Kanopy (library service)

• Like 1

There’s actually a very handy app called Reelgood that lets you know if the film you want is streaming anywhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

There’s actually a very handy app called Reelgood that lets you know if the film you want is streaming anywhere.

Also justwatch.com and actually Letterboxd has a feature I just noticed last week that you can tailor to which apps you have.

But yea I've got quite a few streaming apps at this point that have movies on them, so unless we set up an order, I'll just do what I can find. As we do, I say post your thoughts about them here.

I have been also turning to TV lately with my extra watching time, but I still have plenty of time for movies haha. Just started Westworld and Umbrella Academy.

• Like 2

Sounds good. TV is good, too! I’ve actually spent more time gathering stuff on Hulu, etc. (for myself, my parents and others) to watch in the future than actually watching it.🤪

I decided to start with whatever I could find on Amazon Prime (there looks to be over 10 I can stream there; there's also 11 Cage films on Netflix).

So today I watched The Frozen Ground 

The_Frozen_Ground_poster.jpg

The story isn't bad, I guess it's all true - about a cop trying to capture a serial killer (with a lot of focus on him trying to locate, help, and convince the victim who survived).

Cage is pretty restrained in it. Pretty middle-of-the-road Cage film, had some things worthwhile (showing off Alaska), and some annoying aspects (the wobbly "real" camera work).

I’ll confess I’m not an “all in” Cage fan. The films on the list are my preferred. There are a couple on Hulu that I might watch that I haven’t listed —Drive angry and some newer film with Laurence Fishburne.

I don’t have Prime—because Jeff Bezos is fucking with my hometown, I don’t give him my money—but have Netflix, Hulu and Cinemax, and am willing to try any Cage movies that are on there.

I’m getting Red Rock West from Netflix dvd in a couple days. That’s a good one!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

I’ll confess I’m not an “all in” Cage fan. The films on the list are my preferred. There are a couple on Hulu that I might watch that I haven’t listed —Drive angry and some newer film with Laurence Fishburne.

I don’t have Prime—because Jeff Bezos is fucking with my hometown, I don’t give him my money—but have Netflix, Hulu and Cinemax, and am willing to try any Cage movies that are on there.

Oh same. I'll skip the ones that look way out of my interest zone for sure. I'll prob lean to the ones that seem HDTGM crazy, or have cool co-cast members.

I’m rewatching Adaptation tonight and I’m going to say it’s my favorite Nicolas Cage movie. Raising Arizona is an extremely close runner-up—both movies fire on all cylinders—but Adaptation has so many levels to it. Everyone in it—Including the supporting cast— is AMAZING and it’s a brilliant, profound script by Charlie Kaufman, also brilliantly directed by Spike Jonze. It somehow manages to be melancholy and fucking hilarious, sometimes in the same scene.

In a non-Cage related note, I noticed this link on comics/TV writer Warren Ellis' site today for a curated collection of foreign films, a la Criterion. I hadn't heard of this service before (and they're based in the UK, so I'm not sure if these discs are region-free) but their lineup is impressive if you like directors like Milos Forman: https://www.secondrundvd.com/browse.html

Edited to add: I also heard that the horror streaming service Shudder is giving out free first months - probably a Cage film or two there. The promo code is SHUTIN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theworstbuddhist said:

In a non-Cage related note, I noticed this link on comics/TV writer Warren Ellis' site today for a curated collection of foreign films, a la Criterion. I hadn't heard of this service before (and they're based in the UK, so I'm not sure if these discs are region-free) but their lineup is impressive if you like directors like Milos Forman: https://www.secondrundvd.com/browse.html

Edited to add: I also heard that the horror streaming service Shudder is giving out free first months - probably a Cage film or two there. The promo code is SHUTIN.

Yes, thanks! Mandy is on there.

Again, I don’t want to limit these lists to ONLY Nic Cage movies. That’s a pretty narrow list. Open to whatever as long as there’s interest!

I've got a bunch of the recent Criterion remasters of Godzilla to watch, but right now I'm watching an old Hammer picture called Dracula A.D. 1972 starring Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and Stephanie Beacham. Haven't seen it in ages but now I'm thinking a Hammer Films marathon might be in order.

I believe Troma has a promotion for their streaming service as well - lots of terrible movies to be found there.

On 3/15/2020 at 10:11 PM, theworstbuddhist said:

I don't endorse Reddit one way or another but it is often a good place to find someone who has done a thing:

Ooooh, if that impresses you, then you definitely need to check out the podcast  Travolta/Cage.

Available wherever you get your podcasts.

• Like 1

I tried watching Moonstruck tonight and I COULD NOT get into it. Nic Cage felt like a very California-y New Yorker and as a result felt kinda miscast.

The film itself felt like a rather blandly shot play. I know this is a beloved movie but I lost complete interest after an hour. I think the fact that it won a shitload of awards in 1987 overshadowed the film for me. And I’m  not really a Cher fan. Oh, well. 

Sign in to follow this