🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
theworstbuddhist

Episode 235.5 — Prequel to Episode 236

Advice for callers from Florida! A woman falls under a train and triggers June's panic response, but they are both ok. And, should Paul watch the Resident Evil films? Paul also offers advice on the Paul Help Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Underworld: Blood Wars, and checks in with Devin and Cody for recommendations on how to spend your isolation time. Plus, find out which movie will be covered next week!

• Like 3

Hope nobody minds that I went ahead and started this topic, it didn't seem like there is some kind of rota for it so I hope I didn't overstep.

As for the mini-episode, thanks Paul. For many of us, I think having the things we love still coming along at the usual times is a comfort for that stupid part of the brain that generates anxiety. Should you watch Resident Evil? Ordinarily I would say yes, at least for the very first one, which I thought was OK at the time. But, depending on how you feel about watching a series of films based on videogames about a biohazard, it might be a bit much for now. But if you're up to it, the first one is a solid horror picture, and much like Underworld, the quality drops off after that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Hope nobody minds that I went ahead and started this topic, it didn't seem like there is some kind of rota for it so I hope I didn't overstep.

No, you’re good. For some reason they stopped creating threads for this and Unspooled. We’ve all just been taking it upon ourselves to do it.

Thank you for doing it 🙂

• Like 4

I kind of have to disagree with Paul on the boyfriend who objects to violence in movies having to just suck it up and watch it.

My immediate reaction to hearing this was that this person is maybe justified in their reaction (obviously, we need more information on how specifically they reacted). For all we know, this person has some past trauma they aren't comfortable discussing yet with their SO. I'd say this is something they need to talk about before just telling them they need to just go along with watching a violent movie even if it's semi-cartoonish like Harley Quinn is. 

• Like 4

Did I miss something what's the next film....oh the last bit should listened to full pod

3 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I kind of have to disagree with Paul on the boyfriend who objects to violence in movies having to just suck it up and watch it.

My immediate reaction to hearing this was that this person is maybe justified in their reaction (obviously, we need more information on how specifically they reacted). For all we know, this person has some past trauma they aren't comfortable discussing yet with their SO. I'd say this is something they need to talk about before just telling them they need to just go along with watching a violent movie even if it's semi-cartoonish like Harley Quinn is. 

I think that was his initial reaction (to suck it up), but then he re-evaluated and seemed to see the issue from your POV. He kinda covered both bases, is how I heard it.

The outtake was awesome. 

I’ve really appreciated all of Paul’s efforts to keep us entertained. 

I just binged the first season of Black Monday during a free Showtime trial. It helped me get through a rough week. I will probably wait until Penny Dreadful is on to subscribe to Showtime  (I’m finding free deals to take advantage of in order to keep my streaming bill affordable), but I really enjoyed it. Recommended!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LTL said:

Did I miss something what's the next film....oh the last bit should listened to full pod

The announcement of next week’s film is now always at the end of the minisodes.  Next film is The Great Wall starring Matt Damon.

YAY! I WIN! AND John butchered my name TWICE, in DIFFERENT WAYS! 😍 

I don't think they need to see Resident Evil, they already did Ultraviolet which is basically bargain bin RE anyway.

5 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Yeah... It's not like it's a deal breaker or anything. If you SO is uncomfortable with something, don't ask/guilt/force them to do it.

Also, you don't have to share everything.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Omaxem said:

YAY! I WIN! AND John butchered my name TWICE, in DIFFERENT WAYS! 😍 I

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZ0jKpiq7fJI_9WJdveMR

• Like 3

Paul’s self-quarantine voice gave my post the emotional heft it deserved.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrGuts1003 said:

The announcement of next week’s film is now always at the end of the minisodes.  Next film is The Great Wall starring Matt Damon.

Which is available on Netflix here in Canada, and we usually have less stuff on ours than a lot of countries so hopefully(?) you guys have easy access to it.

1 minute ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Which is available on Netflix here in Canada, and we usually have less stuff on ours than a lot of countries so hopefully(?) you guys have easy access to it.

I don't understand why everyone hasn't bought a copy of it yet?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I agree. I cannot handle horror films or anything really dark because I get vivid nightmares. It's always been something that deeply upsets me. I just cannot do it. I once tried to watch an episode of Torchwood with a friend that involved a space manatee thing being used for meat while still alive and my mom had to force me to stop watching because I was sobbing so hard.  So even though I really wanted to watch a show that a friend had introduced to me I just had to put my mental wellbeing above our bonding moment. Thankfully she understood and was more than happy to skip that episode.

As a general rule if you know that someone can't handle something it's ok to do things separately or picking another option that you both would enjoy. 

• Like 1

I feel like I should put in a request for an Emotional Support June. 

Also birds remember being dinosaurs and are PISSED. Her fear is valid.

• Like 2

As a potential replacement for rabbit for HDTGM Classics, has anyone used netflixparty.com? I haven't used it and I'm not sure what HDTGM movies are on Netflix at the moment. It might be our next best option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

As a potential replacement for rabbit for HDTGM Classics, has anyone used netflixparty.com? I haven't used it and I'm not sure what HDTGM movies are on Netflix at the moment. It might be our next best option.

I had been meaning to try it but hadn't yet because my Mac is old and Macs in my experience don't work great with Chrome. I installed it to see if it would work (thought it might not in Canada) but so far so good if anyone wants to give it a shot.

2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I have not, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it has a more solid connection. Our movie choices will be limited, but I would love starting Classics up again in some form or another.

Honestly, I was hoping Kast would work as I typed in rabb.it the other day and it redirected me there. But I guess not.

• Like 1

yea NetflixParty seems to have a good rep going, but our film choice will definitely be limited a little, unless we started watching random other stuff together too.

the facebook group seems to be still be using Kast though? i havent tried it myself yet, but someone is getting it to work

7 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

yea NetflixParty seems to have a good rep going, but our film choice will definitely be limited a little, unless we started watching random other stuff together too.

the facebook group seems to be still be using Kast though? i havent tried it myself yet, but someone is getting it to work

I dunno if US Netflix gets sweet stuff like this, but if you do, I think we should be ok for a while.

I just wanted to check in with everyone. How are you holding up?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

vhqpun5.jpg

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

vhqpun5.jpg

The 43rd day of Smarchtober

giphy.gif

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Things have been weirdly good for me and it feels strange talking about it since I know a few people who lost their jobs and a coworker's cousin has Covid-19. So, I'm kind of like "maybe don't say anything."

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Things have been weirdly good for me and it feels strange talking about it since I know a few people who lost their jobs and a coworker's cousin has Covid-19. So, I'm kind of like "maybe don't say anything."

I mean, if things are good, that’s great! No one should feel guilty or anything. We need our personal wins. I’m glad things are going well for you 🙂

• Like 3