đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 88 Head

When you want to advertise your movie why not produce a poster that makes no sense and tells the audience nothing?

acbp-0712-courtesyofcarlsolwaygallery-59

• Like 4

@grudlian. what’s your feeling regarding Bob Dylan’s “Murder Most Foul?”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

@grudlian. what’s your feeling regarding Bob Dylan’s “Murder Most Foul?”

It's great. I appreciate that it's original take on JFK and turning toward music/art in uncertain times. It's also unlike anything in his career except maybe Dogs Run Free (except good).

I've been wondering a lot this year what is Dylan's next move after three straight albums of standards. This definitely fits into Dylan just dropping something unexpected out of nowhere but a 17 minute single on JFK definitely wasn't a direction anyone was going to pick, right? I'm very curious when this was recorded. I'm guessing around Tempest but that's just a shot in the dark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

It's great. I appreciate that it's original take on JFK and turning toward music/art in uncertain times. It's also unlike anything in his career except maybe Dogs Run Free (except good).

I've been wondering a lot this year what is Dylan's next move after three straight albums of standards. This definitely fits into Dylan just dropping something unexpected out of nowhere but a 17 minute single on JFK definitely wasn't a direction anyone was going to pick, right? I'm very curious when this was recorded. I'm guessing around Tempest but that's just a shot in the dark.

It's freaking awesome! It reminds me a little of some of his long songs on Tempest (those weird ones about John Lennon and the Titanic), so yea, I concur it's probably from those around then when he was writing about topics like that.

5 straight albums of Sinatra covers is way too much, that's for sure haha.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

It's freaking awesome! It reminds me a little of some of his long songs on Tempest (those weird ones about John Lennon and the Titanic), so yea, I concur it's probably from those around then when he was writing about topics like that.

5 straight albums of Sinatra covers is way too much, that's for sure haha.

That's what made me think Tempest too. Long songs about real people/events and death as a pretty strong theme. But it doesn't sound anything like that album. Maybe that's why it wasn't released? Or he just left off a great song for no reason again?

I kind of wish I didn't know this was old because it probably means it's not a direction he's going in.

I'm just glad this takes my mind off of how disappointing the new Pearl Jam album is.

• Like 1

I agree, I also love it. It was definitely a nice surprise.

• Like 1

For my Movie of the Weekend, I chose Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (2018).  I forgot my original intention of the program, which was to pick another movie with a word from the discussion's title.  For Velvet Goldmine I chose National Velvet.  Yet last time I forgot and made it rhyming.  Couldn't find anything like Titanic so I went the opposite direction and picked Fantastic Voyage.  This week I did the same with a "foot" title instead of "head".  Next time I'll try to go back to the original deal.  Read below for a semi-spoiled review.

This movie is about John Callahan (played by Joaquin Phoenix), a quadriplegic Portland cartoonist.  (He passed away in 2010.) He was injured in a car crash when he and a friend drove drunk to a party.  The friend at the wheel fell asleep and then woke up to mistake a telephone pole for an exit.  He drove straight into the pole at 90 mph.  The friend only had a few scratches but John was catastrophically injured. He went through the stages of depression, anger, grief, etc.  He found help through AA, especially a small group run by one of the members, Donnie.  (Donnie was a surprising performance by Jonah Hill.  I didn't even recognize it was Jonah until well into the movie.)

Donnie and the other group members challenge each other to break through their excuses to find the real reasons for things.  John realizes he can't blame his issues on his mother abandoning him, his father dying early, his foster family,  etc.  He has to forgive them all and then forgive himself.  He did a sketch of his mother to help the adoption agency find her.  Later he realizes he can use his drawing talents (he has limited use of his arms and hands) to express his feelings and thoughts inside.  He meets with some resistance because he steps over the line a lot but ultimately gains acceptance and success.

The movie was well done, directed by Gus VanSant, but didn't really tell me how and why John came to the realizations he did.  It sidestepped most of the cliches of "addict has issues but gets better" (Born on the Fourth of July springs to mind).  His biggest muse showed up out of nowhere and the movie never explained why she and John clicked.  (Traces of Xanadu, maybe?)  I would recommend it but not if you're looking for deep exploration of the topic.

• Like 5

On 3/29/2020 at 6:31 AM, Cinco DeNio said:

For my Movie of the Weekend, I chose Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (2018).  I forgot my original intention of the program, which was to pick another movie with a word from the discussion's title.  For Velvet Goldmine I chose National Velvet.  Yet last time I forgot and made it rhyming.  Couldn't find anything like Titanic so I went the opposite direction and picked Fantastic Voyage.  This week I did the same with a "foot" title instead of "head".  Next time I'll try to go back to the original deal.  Read below for a semi-spoiled review.

Hide contents

This movie is about John Callahan (played by Joaquin Phoenix), a quadriplegic Portland cartoonist.  (He passed away in 2010.) He was injured in a car crash when he and a friend drove drunk to a party.  The friend at the wheel fell asleep and then woke up to mistake a telephone pole for an exit.  He drove straight into the pole at 90 mph.  The friend only had a few scratches but John was catastrophically injured. He went through the stages of depression, anger, grief, etc.  He found help through AA, especially a small group run by one of the members, Donnie.  (Donnie was a surprising performance by Jonah Hill.  I didn't even recognize it was Jonah until well into the movie.)

Donnie and the other group members challenge each other to break through their excuses to find the real reasons for things.  John realizes he can't blame his issues on his mother abandoning him, his father dying early, his foster family,  etc.  He has to forgive them all and then forgive himself.  He did a sketch of his mother to help the adoption agency find her.  Later he realizes he can use his drawing talents (he has limited use of his arms and hands) to express his feelings and thoughts inside.  He meets with some resistance because he steps over the line a lot but ultimately gains acceptance and success.

The movie was well done, directed by Gus VanSant, but didn't really tell me how and why John came to the realizations he did.  It sidestepped most of the cliches of "addict has issues but gets better" (Born on the Fourth of July springs to mind).  His biggest muse showed up out of nowhere and the movie never explained why she and John clicked.  (Traces of Xanadu, maybe?)  I would recommend it but not if you're looking for deep exploration of the topic.

I saw Don’t Worry as well. I liked it and thought it was well-made, but I think your observations are on point (it’s been awhile since I’ve seen it). My family read a lot of Callahan’s cartoons so it was interesting to see what his life was like.

• Like 1

So as I was watching this movie I was struck with one thought, "Didn't my mother love The Monkees?" So I messaged my mom to ask her about The Monkees. So turns out I was right. She was a fan of The Monkees. Her room as a child had posters of The Beach Boys, Paul Revere and the Raiders and Davy Jones of The Monkees. No Monkees posters just Davy Jones. Just never saw Head and wasn't a fan of the show (she was like 10 when it was on) but liked their "music videos".

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

So as I was watching this movie I was struck with one thought, "Didn't my mother love The Monkees?" So I messaged my mom to ask her about The Monkees. So turns out I was right. She was a fan of The Monkees. Her room as a child had posters of The Beach Boys, Paul Revere and the Raiders and Davy Jones of The Monkees. No Monkees posters just Davy Jones. Just never saw Head and wasn't a fan of the show (she was like 10 when it was on) but liked their "music videos".

Eventually, she put aside such childish crushes and focused all her affections on one man: Ted Neely.

3153a30442bc7181f04a3d5a3f9d7850.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Eventually, she put aside such childish crushes and focused all her affections on one man: Ted Neely.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

THAT is the textbook definition of a deep pull.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

THAT is the textbook definition of a deep pull.

2e7b023a87f2fe1bfaf595822c0223ae--buddy-

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2020 at 8:31 AM, Cam Bert said:

I'd never heard of Paul Revere and the Raiders so I thought it was a poster of an artist's rendering of Paul Revere's ride in the American Revolutionary War or him and his silver.  In either case, best kink ever.

• Like 2