🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Blast Hardcheese

HDTGM Quarantine-palooza! (Online Playlists and Mixtapes)

I've been meaning to corral an online playlist/mixtape group thread here on the forum for a while, but never got around to it for one reason or another (re: laziness). Thanks to the on-going pandemic, however, this is about as good a time as any to share and listen to compilations of music (just like those good ol' homemade mix cassettes and CDR's of recent yore!)

The inspiration for this thread came from both Zouk's recommending the phenomenal band Mannequin Pussy a couple of episodes back (thank you!) and his Amoeba Records What's in My Bag video. I figure that our HDTGM community, likewise, has amazing taste in music and want this thread to serve as a forum for all of us to share our online mixes and playlists (via Spotify, Soundcloud, YouTube, etc.)

I made this mix last year (but never got around to posting) for Jason, June and John called A Politcal Song for Jason Mantzoukas to Sing:

Anyone else have online music mixes that they would like to share?

• Like 3

I’ve never been able to successfully post anything on here from my Spotify playlists. I don’t know if it’s not allowed, or if there’s some technique I don’t know about, or what.

Having said that , I do have a playlist on Spotify that has the entire collection of music I like from the sixties through now. It’s not a mix, it’s a collection that you can make into mix if you play it on random. There’s over 300 hours of 5,000+ songs, from classic to new funk, pop, hip hop, r&b, folk, grunge, etc. I didn’t censor stuff that I like, so there may be material—like Fleet Foxes—that people might find horribly offensive. Just skip over it and there are songs from other perspectives—like Eminem—to balance it out.

The playlist is called

the big 40

by justanotherwriter—us (that’s me)!  Check it out if you want!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Omaxem said:

My " Most Listened in 2019 " from Spotify, edited down to just 37 songs/ 2 hours and 37 minutes.  Indie, folk, alt, some electro. Hope someone likes it 😊

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/04JnBTXgq7iSoGmApT5tG1?si=ZJBWbp1mSxq6HrVJ0Z8J2A

This is a great playlist! That Walkmen song is one of their absolute best.

Here's the first in a planned four-part series of mixes featuring bands from 2020 I recently put together:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Further information about my playlist—it started as a playlist for my brother’s 40th birthday (that’s why there are so many songs from 1979 if you look at the playlist in chronological order. It kind of plays as the greatest hits/songs we liked throughout the decades as well). Then—during the past few months, I just decided to pour my entire album collection into it. I’m glad I did it because it has helped me get through the quarantine.

Since I started adding entire albums after awhile—and didn’t bother editing out the tracks I didn’t like because I’m lazy—there’s definitely skippable stuff here but on the other hand, if there are artists you like, you will find entire albums instead of singles, usually. I recommend listening to it on random, but it’s kinda a choose-your-own-adventure playlist so have fun!

• Like 2

i haven't made a ton of playlists lately, but i used to do it all the time. maybe i'll get back to it.

my only current one tho is one where i toss songs i like from 2020 on to a big list

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3AMB8x0SPcEZJiBxl8GFFx?si=FcE29E2WRg2vm-LUX_ZSLQ

also have some lists on there of my favorite albums of each year, which is something i compile and share with friends every December 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Omaxem said:

Don't know if these are helping anyone, but here are some of my most heard this year so far + a couple of my all time faves. 20 songs, 1 hour 24  minutes.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4r2bP9TF57giu6ImaNwzt1?si=dTWScdAsSLaCG3CWplc9xQ

that Aldous Harding record is really cool. i wasn't into her first one, but last year's was a knock-out. such a strange and beautiful writer.

• Like 2

Three weeks ago, I was Covid-canned from my J-O-B of nearly five years, so I decided to drown my sorrows in some shoegaze-y noise-pop. In the interest of trying to stay creative and motivated, and made this mix and I am sharing it with anyone on this board with a ear towards static gossamer noise-pop:

Enjoy!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Sorry to hear about your job.

Thanks, Graham. Yeah, it sucks, but it is what it is. While I was grateful to have that job while I did, being laid-off has essentially afforded me a new opportunity to pursue a career in what I actually went to school for: creative writing (articles, reviews (record and film), interviews, etc.)

Despite the current pandemic, I'm going to remain optimistic in forging a new career path that utilizes the 15 years' worth of creative writing, editing and story planning experience I've built up. Three weeks of being out of work is depressing and demoralizing enough; I'm ready and motivated to get back on my feet.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2020 at 6:19 PM, Blast Hardcheese said:

Despite the current pandemic, I'm going to remain optimistic in forging a new career path that utilizes the 15 years' worth of creative writing, editing and story planning experience I've built up. Three weeks of being out of work is depressing and demoralizing enough; I'm ready and motivated to get back on my feet.

Good for you dude. I can only hope you find something that truly fulfills you. You can always count on us here for... internet support? Whatever it is we do, i'm doing it to you, right now! In a good way. Just... take it? No. I think that what i'm trying to say is that i love you mommy 😱 😨 😭

Thanks for the playlist, and from the bottom of my heart, i wish you all the best.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, Omaxem said:

Good for you dude. I can only hope you find something that truly fulfills you. You can always count on us here for... internet support? Whatever it is we do, i'm doing it to you, right now! In a good way. Just... take it? No. I think that what i'm trying to say is that i love you mommy 😱 😨 😭

Thanks for the playlist, and from the bottom of my heart, i wish you all the best.

Aw, man. You just made my day! Of course I'll be your mommy!!!

I brought nothing in return... EXCEPT FOR THIS!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Ok, this is my first “official” playlist (as opposed to a link of my ENTIRE catalog of music)! It runs a little over an hour. 

The Musicians (in alphabetical-ish order)!:

A Tribe Called Quest

Andre 3000

Beastie Boys

Bjork

Ghostface Killah

Janelle Monae

Janis Joplin

Minnie Riperton

Pixies

Rage Against The Machine

Spoon

Superorganism

The Beatles

The Flaming Lips

The White Stripes

They Might Be Giants

Weezer

Enjoy!:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3W6w1x1X9ZY4t5xDfXXMKg?si=91l8ZrJXRdeWK95ySg0siA

• Thanks 1
  • Hedgehog 1

15 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Ok, this is my first “official” playlist (as opposed to a link of my ENTIRE catalog of music)! It runs a little over an hour. 

A Tribe Called Quest

Andre 3000

Beastie Boys

Bjork

Ghostface Killah

Janelle Monae

Janis Joplin

Minnie Riperton

Pixies

Rage Against The Machine

Spoon

Superorganism

The Beatles

The Flaming Lips

The White Stripes

They Might Be Giants

Weezer

Enjoy!:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3W6w1x1X9ZY4t5xDfXXMKg?si=91l8ZrJXRdeWK95ySg0siA

Graham, this playlist is awesome! So many great choices here: Spoon, Tribe, Pixies, Beasties, Ghostface, etc, etc. This is my job search playlist for today. Thank you so much.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blast Hardcheese said:

Graham, this playlist is awesome! So many great choices here: Spoon, Tribe, Pixies, Beasties, Ghostface, etc, etc. This is my job search playlist for today. Thank you so much.

Good luck with your job search! 

• Thanks 1

Decided to compile and post a collection of some of my favorite instrumental soundtrack songs:

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 11:00 PM, GrahamS. said:

A Tribe Called Quest

Andre 3000

Beastie Boys

Bjork

Ghostface Killah

Janelle Monae

Janis Joplin

Minnie Riperton

Pixies

Rage Against The Machine

Spoon

Superorganism

The Beatles

The Flaming Lips

The White Stripes

They Might Be Giants

Weezer

Enjoy!:

That's an awesome list and I feel it would be improved by The Go! Team

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blast Hardcheese said:

Decided to compile and post a collection of some of my favorite instrumental soundtrack songs:

I don't really do music streaming services but if anyone is looking for film scores to look up and listen to, I highly recommend:
Haywire
Stay
Solaris (the Soderbergh one)
The Man From UNCLE
Drive
Round Midnight
Man of Steel

I'd be interested to hear everyone else's recommendations, film scores can be a real rabbit hole. Edited to add: I don't do streaming services because I am limiting my subscriptions to stuff, no judgement intended. I do have some musician friends who tell me that they prefer Bandcamp, for what it's worth.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 8:08 AM, theworstbuddhist said:

I don't really do music streaming services but if anyone is looking for film scores to look up and listen to, I highly recommend:
Haywire
Stay
Solaris (the Soderbergh one)
The Man From UNCLE
Drive
Round Midnight
Man of Steel

I'd be interested to hear everyone else's recommendations, film scores can be a real rabbit hole. Edited to add: I don't do streaming services because I am limiting my subscriptions to stuff, no judgement intended. I do have some musician friends who tell me that they prefer Bandcamp, for what it's worth.

Okay, NOW I know what I'm doing with me day. Thanks for these recommendations, TWB!

On 5/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, theworstbuddhist said:

That's an awesome list and I feel it would be improved by The Go! Team

Ah, The Go! Team. What an amazing and wonderful band. My wife and I saw them play about two years ago and we had so, so, so much fun. You can't not move while listening to any of their songs.

I have two mixes posted on my Mixcloud page that have The Go! Team songs on 'em:

• Like 1

Taking a break for the tumult to post yet another 2020 mixtape. This one features Car Seat Headrest, Built To Spill, X, Perfume Genius, The Magnetic Fields, and more!

• Like 2