🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
evenharder

Event Horizon (1997)

Somehow managing to fail as a sci fi movie AND a horror movie, this sci-fi horror flick gets no recognition as a bad movie, which is baffling to me because hoooooo boy...

• Like 1

Never worked as well as it should have for me.. some superb sets, a really interesting story, more than reasonable acting talent but the promise of the setup never really paid off.

To me it always felt like we were seeing the sequel to a really badass movie because the story of a ship travelling to 'hell' and itself being possessed and torturing the crew before finding its way back to our universe seemed like a far more interesting story with potential for effects and action. Instead we got an hour of wondering what happened and little evil going on (with now rather distracting cgi liquid effects) and then 40minutes of chaos telling you all the cool stuff you didn't see.

If they can prequel The Thing.. maybe they should do the same here and really make it tie up.

• Like 2

This movie was awesome.

When you look at it as more of a sci-fi thriller instead of horror, you should find it much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

It certainly has thriller pretensions but the gore splattered control room early on really set a tone for horror in my mind...which was also an element that somewhat annoyed me.. there was so really gruesome stuff but the team seem totally disinterested by it.

It suffered in many ways from the old case of 'we have loads of mental things happening at the end that cost money so lets draw out the opening hour with as little as possible so we can save budget' and when that happens I often find myself bored and thinking about the movie, which is never a good sign and worse still when the movie gives you nothing to ponder on as its saving that for the end too.

I watched this movie with my co-host when we were kids and he's still scared of it.

If they do this movie they should have him on. He'll start getting this tremolo in his voice as if he was discussing a legitimate childhood trauma if you bring up this movie. Honestly, like, you can ruin his night by bringing up Event Horizon.... it's the most hilarious kind of PTSD.

This movie blew my mind hole when I saw it in 1997 in the theater. I'd love to get June's take on EVERYTHING. I know she would find it UPSETTING. Also please make sure that Jason is in studio for this - I don't want to miss a second of his fury!

This could have been an amazing movie had it been directed by almost anyone other than Paul WS Anderson.

• Like 2

This could have been an amazing movie had it been directed by almost anyone other than Paul WS Anderson.

In that case, look no further than Danny Boyle's "Sunshine"! Sort of. Harder sci-fi that becomes more of a horror flick later on.

Of all of PWSA's movies this one is probably the least HTGM-worthy. Not that it's not worthy of an episode, but it's certainly more enjoyable than pretty much anything else that he's done.

Also, I didn't realize that he made Pompeii, but when I saw that my reaction was "that's about right."

In that case, look no further than Danny Boyle's "Sunshine"! Sort of. Harder sci-fi that becomes more of a horror flick later on.

A movie I love despite the fact that it goes completely off the rails in the last 30 minutes.

I actually still enjoy Event Horizon and the whole 'haunted house in space' concept. Like I said I think a competent director could have pulled off something better. It's pretty telling that Anderson's 'director's cut' of the movie just ramps up the gore to even more absurd levels but does nothing to address the story problems.

I love this movie. Jason Isaacs gets the best line in the movie "it doesn't mean 'save us', it means 'save yourself........ from HELL!'"

This movie is so goddamn bad, I really don't understand the love for it.

It has this progression for the middle hour where the guy walks around and does creepy stuff, then they show a static vignette of something that is supposed to be gross, then the crew reacts, then the guy walks around all creepy like, then they show a static vignette of someone who died, then there is a reaction - repeat repeat repeat. It's so boring.

It is like a haunted house - the kind you walk through when you're 7 years old and they have stupid little scenes set up for you to look at. I've seen more convincing death scenes at the Salem Witch Museum. Anybody who has been there knows what a next level insult that just was.

it's got Laurence Fishburne in it. how could it be so bad.

It's as good a reason as any to check it out. Definitely one of Paul WS Anderson's best.... which probably isn't saying much. Better than Alien Vs Predator.

• Like 1

Fuck Aliens and sunshine, someone finally got it right.. Kidding! At the middle point of watching this. So far it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Little bit of "hellraiser 2" in this. When they unlock the box in the hospital and walked into the labyrinth..

I'm done

Really is only one Comedy moment, that' is when the Coopers gets shoot into space and has to use his jet pack or whatever the hell that was to thrust him back to the ship.

Not really all that much to see here. It's really like I said an aliens movie with no Aliens. Sunshine with no sun. hellraiser with no cenobites. If you can call the ships creator a cenobite.

Have to give it a thumbs down on this one.

Like melllavicios said Laurence Fishburne was good in this. The acting is professional. Just a cut and paste copy cat. stolen from many sci-fi movies nothing original about it and nothing entertaining. It's heartless writing is all. Could've been a good movie if they have something called a script.

Disagree with OP. I think this movie is really scary. However, I have a real problem with (SPOILER ALERT) someone ripping out their own eyes. I couldn't sleep for a few days when this came out. I think I was 14 or 15. 

• Like 1

This movie had a lot of great ideas, and the set designs are still really nice, but it always felt so choppy to me, like entire scenes were missing or cut. I read a while ago there were a lot more gory torture scenes filmed, which you see bits and flashes of but have to pause the film to make out, but the studio scrapped them for the final cut. Can't imagine June liking this one at all.

15 hours ago, Kothel said:

I have a real problem with (SPOILER ALERT) someone ripping out their own eyes. I couldn't sleep for a few days when this came out. I think I was 14 or 15.

I can't watch eye violence either. And like 95% of old Italian horror (which I love) is all eye violence, which sucks, and I always forget, and then I spend the next few minutes after gagging. A tip for anyone, that website Does the Dog Die has all kinds of "does this movie have ____" yes or no questions and eye violence is one of them. It's been a real help for me.

• Like 2

YEEESSSSS!  Do.  This.  Movie.  Best decompression effect in cinema history.  This movie also gave birth to a demonstration on what it means to travel through a wormhole/Einstein-Rosen Bridge.  A demonstration repeated in Deja Vu (2006), and Interstellar (2014).

This isn’t a great movie but it does have a cult following. I think the performances sell it. It may be the one movie where Paul WS Anderson cares about craftsmanship  because it’s far more ambitious than any of his other stuff. Since the story is about a ghost ship from Hell, it’s fun in over-the-top way

When I saw this in the 90s, I also had a visceral reaction to the eye mutilation. I don’t know if this movie is “bad” enough to make a good episode, but I think—with it’s grotesque gore and dead-child trauma—June would hate it.. 

i also think Sunshine is much better sci-fi, but its final third also goes off  the rails for the slasher section.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 3:27 AM, muttnik said:

I can't watch eye violence either. And like 95% of old Italian horror (which I love) is all eye violence, which sucks, and I always forget, and then I spend the next few minutes after gagging. A tip for anyone, that website Does the Dog Die has all kinds of "does this movie have ____" yes or no questions and eye violence is one of them. It's been a real help for me.

I wonder if it's popular in Italian cinema because of that Saint (can't remember which one. Lucy? Cecilia?) who rips her eyes out so she'll never have to get married? Freaked me out badly. Glad I'm not the only one. I LOVE does the dog die so that I am at least prepared for the death of a dog, but I didn't know they could prepare me for this kind of thing. Thanks! Sorry it took me three months to acknowledge this. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 7:26 PM, Kothel said:

I wonder if it's popular in Italian cinema because of that Saint (can't remember which one. Lucy? Cecilia?) who rips her eyes out so she'll never have to get married? Freaked me out badly. Glad I'm not the only one. I LOVE does the dog die so that I am at least prepared for the death of a dog, but I didn't know they could prepare me for this kind of thing. Thanks! Sorry it took me three months to acknowledge this. 

Oh, no worries! Yeah, I constantly check that site when it comes to horror because I'm tired of animals "dying" for no real reason or way too graphically in addition to eye gore.

That is an interesting idea, you may be onto something. It seems like a lot more American horror movies these last few years have upped the eye violence too.