🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Episode 236.5 — Prequel to Episode 237

Quarantined birthdays, Sleepaway Camp news, magnets, and more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul offers advice as he opens up the Paul Help Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for The Great Wall, and shares a deleted scene from the last episode. Plus, find out which movie will be covered next week!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/
Check out our tour dates over at www.hdtgm.com!
Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter
@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

• Like 3

I am kinda bummed Valerian is next week because I have heard it already and I am desperate for new content these days. 

The deleted scene should definitely be in contention for Jason antagonizes the audience category. (They deserved it.) 

Little worried about Paul buying a bounce house for his kids. I hear those things are dangerous. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

I am kinda bummed Valerian is next week because I have heard it already and I am desperate for new content these days. 

The deleted scene should definitely be in contention for Jason antagonizes the audience category. (They deserved it.) 

Little worried about Paul buying a bounce house for his kids. I hear those things are dangerous. 

I was kind of disappointed too, but then I realized that we’ve never really discussed it on the forums, so that could be fun. I haven’t listened to it since it dropped, but I remember having this I wanted to bring up.

• Like 4

I never listened to it because I don't have Stitcher Premium. But now it's been so long since I've seen it, I won't have anything to say.

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I was kind of disappointed too, but then I realized that we’ve never really discussed it on the forums, so that could be fun. I haven’t listened to it since it dropped, but I remember having this I wanted to bring up.

This was the only HDTGM live show I've been able to attend.  I didn't think of a question to ask during the show until too late and then there was no discussion forum for the episode so I've just been having to carry it around myself lo these many years.  Finally a chance at closure.  And that is way too big of a build up because it is a silly question.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, ChunkStyle said:

This was the only HDTGM live show I've been able to attend.  I didn't think of a question to ask during the show until too late and then there was no discussion forum for the episode so I've just been having to carry it around myself lo these many years.  Finally a chance at closure.  And that is way too big of a build up because it is a silly question.

Too late! I’m expecting an amazing C&O from you now. 😜

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ChunkStyle said:

I went to the show too. I've also listened to the ep on Stitcher. But it's been so long, it still feels like a fresh episode for me haha

• Like 3

If they are going to have Valerian be an episode while we are in quarantine, then I demand that the Swordfish episode also be released.

BTW, by my count, I believe there are six episodes still not yet released. Megaforce, 2.22, The Visitor, Governor Gabbi, Abraxas, and Holy Matrimony. That’s 12 weeks worth of shows.  Hopefully we’ll be out of quarantine by then.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DrGuts1003 said:

If they are going to have Valerian be an episode while we are in quarantine, then I demand that the Swordfish episode also be released.

From what I heard, Paul won’t release Swordfish as long as he’s on a show with Don Cheadle. Honestly, I think that’s fair. It’s only a minor bummer for us, but it could be career and relationship affecting for him.

• Like 1

I think Don Cheadle should be brought on to give his rebuttal. He seems cool. 

Also, I watched the Disney+ movie ELEPHANT which is narrated by Meghan Markle. And it is mainly set in Botswanna. I felt that was significant somehow. Is her husband still the king there even though he left the royal family??? 

• Like 3

All I remember from Valerian is that the cold open(?) on the pearl planet bummed me out, the invisible swap meet, and that they cast two people who could easily pass for brother and sister as the romantic leads.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, muttnik said:

All I remember from Valerian is that the cold open(?) on the pearl planet bummed me out, the invisible swap meet, and that they cast two people who could easily pass for brother and sister as the romantic leads.

Holy shit, right?!? Going into this movie cold, I totally thought they were.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, muttnik said:

Valerian is basically a Stefon bit - This movie has everything: A model lady with big eyebrows, aliens that sh!t pearls, Rihanna... and who's that by the bar? Is it an intergalactic super manly playboy? No, it's just Dane Dehaan.

I remember a lot about it actually, it kinda pissed me off how someone ( Luc Besson ) can make a film so visually interesting and with so many ( good ) ideas and then just throw most of them in the trash because he still lives in the 90s, so instead he focuses on the white savior and the love story bits. And the misogyny. Boy, the misogyny... just thrown at you at every turn. 

Also how incredibly miscast Dane Dehaan was, how Cara Delevigne was totally fine, even charming at times, and how ( apparently ) Dane Dehaan was a total D bag to her during promo for the film.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hedgehog 1

I kept thinking that I saw this movie/listened to the podcast but something about kept nagging until I spent an extra 15 minutes poking around the web until I realized I was thinking about Jupiter Ascending with Mila Kunis/Channing Tatum.  Ah well, Got nothing but time these outbreak days. 

• Hedgehog 1

22 hours ago, Blast Hardcheese said:

Holy shit, right?!? Going into this movie cold, I totally thought they were.

It should have been retconned to a brother and sister. Just leave romance out entirely, especially since Green Goblin wasn't great at it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DannytheWall said:

I kept thinking that I saw this movie/listened to the podcast but something about kept nagging until I spent an extra 15 minutes poking around the web until I realized I was thinking about Jupiter Ascending with Mila Kunis/Channing Tatum.  Ah well, Got nothing but time these outbreak days. 

Years ago, in preparation for Rhinestone I ended up watching Urban Cowboy. I kept thinking it was far bleaker than their normal fare. 

• Like 3

Dammit of course the moment they decide to release Valerian I now can't find it on any of the streaming services I pay for. It has been staring me down for months and I hate watching bad movies unless I know I'm going to listen to the podcast that same week 😭.

• Like 1

Are we still able to download recent episodes? I tried on the earwolf website and the download buttons don't seem to work for me. I'm willing to chalk this up to me being stupid but I'm not sure why it's not working.

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

Are we still able to download recent episodes? I tried on the earwolf website and the download buttons don't seem to work for me. I'm willing to chalk this up to me being stupid but I'm not sure why it's not working.

The "Download" links have been broken since Earwolf switched to Omny for hosting, which provides no way of downloading files via their player or web site UI. 👍

Your best bet is to use something like Player.fm, which has a hidden "Download/Open" option under the "…" menu. Or you could subscribe to the RSS feed in a normal RSS reader like Feedly.

Correction: Something about my Firefox config prevents the "Share" menu from showing up in the embedded player, but there's a "Download" option there in Safari and Chrome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

10 minutes ago, DanEngler said:

"Download" links have been broken since Earwolf switched to Omny for hosting, which provides no way of downloading files via their player or web site UI. 👍

Your best bet is to use something like Player.fm, which has a hidden "Download/Open" option under the "…" menu. Or you could subscribe to the RSS feed in a normal RSS reader like Feedly.

I've been able to do dowloads by clicking the Share arrow and then right clicking on Transfer 🤓

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Omaxem said:

I've been able to do dowloads by clicking the Share arrow and then right clicking on Transfer 🤓

Weird, the "Share" menu is completely missing for me in Firefox but shows up in other browsers. I corrected my earlier post.

31 minutes ago, DanEngler said:

Weird, the "Share" menu is completely missing for me in Firefox but shows up in other browsers. I corrected my earlier post.

The Share button shows up for me in Firefox but the download button in the doesn't download. It starts opening a page on Omny but doesn't initialize the download.

It's working in Chrome though. I knew I should have tried a different browser before asking. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 5:50 PM, Cameron H. said:

From what I heard, Paul won’t release Swordfish as long as he’s on a show with Don Cheadle. Honestly, I think that’s fair. It’s only a minor bummer for us, but it could be career and relationship affecting for him.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but I was just listening to the Vampire’s Kiss (which stars Nicolas Cage if you don’t remember) episode and at the end, Paul announces that he’s now in a movie with Nicolas Cage called Army of One.

Clearly they had no issue mocking one of Cage’s films and have also done others since.  And I’m sure there are other examples of Jason, June and Paul working with actors who have been in movies they have done on the show.  So why is Cheadle so special?  Did Cheadle specifically ask they not air the episode?

51 minutes ago, DrGuts1003 said:

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but

And yet...

51 minutes ago, DrGuts1003 said:

I was just listening to the Vampire’s Kiss (which stars Nicolas Cage if you don’t remember) episode and at the end, Paul announces that he’s now in a movie with Nicolas Cage called Army of One.

Clearly they had no issue mocking one of Cage’s films and have also done others since.  And I’m sure there are other examples of Jason, June and Paul working with actors who have been in movies they have done on the show.  So why is Cheadle so special?  Did Cheadle specifically ask they not air the episode?

To my knowledge, the only reason it's believed that Don Cheadle is the reason Swordfish is unreleased is because someone not affiliated with the show or Earwolf claimed that Paul said this at a live show. So, the reality is that no one who isn't Paul, Jason, June, Earwolf staff and maybe Don Cheadle know the reason.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever the reason is. I want the hosts to be successful and, should they feel an episode hurts their careers or working relationships, then don't release it. They pulled a released episode for years (and it's generally accepted to be) at the request of someone in the movie. So, this isn't the first time it's happened.