🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

3rd Annual(?) Howdies

Paul mentioned this week that they’re prepping for another Howdies (yay!), and he wanted us to come up with some categories. As far as the forums are concerned, I thought I would start this thread to help facilitate this. So if you have any categories or bits you think should be highlighted by the gang, please post them here. I can’t wait to hear some of your ideas.

The last Howdies were up to Episode 135–Solar Babies (wow!), so I guess anything from Episode 136–Hell Comes to Frogtown (double wow!) through Episode 235–The Great Wall is fair game.

(Also, if @DanEngler or other mod could pin this thread, that would be fantastic :) )

Current Categories (we can add more):

Best Recreation (When a Host/Guest acts out a scene)

Best Metaphor (This Movie is Like...)

Weirdest Thing Jason is Turned on By

Best Host Theory

Best Celeb Impression by a Guest

Grossest Sex Talk 

Best Tangent 

Best Guest Laugh 

Best Explanation Hope 

Best One Liners

Best Moment of Realization (Think Rudy from Reindeer Games moment)

Best New Word created on the Podcast

Best Impression by a Host

Best Audience Correction and Omission

Best Mini Ep Correction & Omission

Best Thing that June is truly Upset by

Best New Movie Pitch based on a Movie that we watch (This Movie Should have been, a Sequel pitch or Alt movie)

Best Guest One Liner

Best Abuse of someone in the Crowd

Best Second Opinion

Best Second Opinion Theme

Best Use of Google

Best Jessica St Clair Moment

Best “How Did We Get Scheer” (Tales from Paul’s Past)

Best June Just Not Having It

Best Made-up Hypothetical Spin-off  (i.e. Chardonnay Talk, “Fry or Fuck,” the one about Jamie Gertz “Ladies of the Eighties” I think...)

Best Paul Intro Line

Best Fashion Talk

Best Moments of Hosts Attacking a City and/or Country

Best Moments of Paul Aggressively Mispronouncing Someone's Name

• Like 5

Off the top of my head, maybe:

1) Best Celebrity Impression (although I suspect a certain British Angeleno will win that)

2) Best Tangent

3) Best Anecdote from Paul’s Harrowing Childhood (This might fall under “Best Tangent,” but I feel like there are enough to warrant its own category.)

4) Best 2nd Opinions Song

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

3) Best Anecdote from Paul’s Harrowing Childhood (This might fall under “Best Tangent,” but I feel like there are enough to warrant its own category.)

No, Sir. This needs to be it's own category.

I nominate:

5 - Best Audience Baby;

6 - Best Post-Apocalyptic Dumpster Fire Rant, feat Jessica StClair ( or other )

• Like 6

7) (suggested by @Elektra Boogaloo) Best of Jason Antagonizing the Crowd

😎 Best Audience Explanation Hope

9) Best Correction & Omission

10) Best 2nd Opinion

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Omaxem said:

No, Sir. This needs to be it's own category.

I nominate:

5 - Best Audience Baby;

6 - Best Post-Apocalyptic Dumpster Fire Rant, feat Jessica StClair ( or other )

Both of these for sure!

• Like 1

Paul's childhood stories have to be its own category. How many nominees are we allowed for that? (Kissing his mom from Jaws 3 is my fave. Also giving first girlfriend a ring, I think that was Holidays in Handcuffs. Seeing Superman in the theater?)

Maybe best Jason Statham impression could be its own category. Whose was better Paul, Jason or Ike? 

There needs to be some kind of Jessica St. Clair category. Faberge eggs, dumpster fires, her beef with Mario Lopez?

Oh! Oh! What about Best Use of Google

-- Naked Ken doll from Mannequin 2

-- Alyssa Milano Pants from Double Dragon

-- Scientific Research from the Secret

I had another one that I now forgot. 

ETA: Country Bear Parts from the Country Bears

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Paul's childhood stories have to be its own category. How many nominees are we allowed for that? (Kissing his mom from Jaws 3 is my fave. Also giving first girlfriend a ring, I think that was Holidays in Handcuffs. Seeing Superman in the theater?)

Maybe best Jason Statham impression could be its own category. Whose was better Paul, Jason or Ike? 

There needs to be some kind of Jessica St. Clair category. Faberge eggs, dumpster fires, her beef with Mario Lopez?

Oh! Oh! What about Best Use of Google

-- Naked Ken doll from Mannequin 2

-- Alyssa Milano Pants from Double Dragon

-- Scientific Research from the Secret

I had another one that I now forgot. 

ETA: Country Bear Parts from the Country Bears

I love all of these! ❤️ 

• Like 1

-Best Jason Shutting An Audience Member’s Shit Down (aka, “Hey, Bro...?”)

-Best “How Did We Get Scheer” (Tales from Paul’s Past).

-Best June Just Not Having It.

• Like 4

Ooh! I would like to nominate the time the entire panel got ready to fight the guy who condescended to them as “Best Antagonizing the Audience.” I think that was Highlander 2. 

And also probably “balcony monsters” but I don’t remember where that was from originally? Anyone remember?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Blast Hardcheese said:

-Best Jason Shutting An Audience Member’s Shit Down (aka, “Hey, Bro...?”)

-Best “How Did We Get Scheer” (Tales from Paul’s Past).

-Best June Just Not Having It.

Love the Sheer pun. Well done, 

will nominate “Paul I a taking off my earphones” (Little Italy, I think?) and the addendum to “The Secret” for June not having it, 

eta: I tried to put this quote in the previous post but I fucked it up. Sorry for the double post.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

And also probably “balcony monsters” but I don’t remember where that was from originally? Anyone remember?

It’s been awhile, but I want to say it was one of the shows in Austin. Time Cop maybe..?

These are some categories Paul posted for the last Howdies. If you can think of any moments to be included, even if just vaguely, feel free to post them here.

Here are some of the PRELIM CATEGORIES -- 

Best Recreation (When a Host/Guest acts out a scene)

Best Metaphor (This Movie is Like...)

Weirdest Thing Jason is Turned on By

Best June Theory

Best Celeb Impression by a Guest

Grossest Sex Talk 

Best Tangent 

Best Guest Laugh 

Best Explanation Hope 

Best One Liners

Best Moment of Realization (Think Rudy from Reindeer Games moment)

Best New Word created on the Podcast

Best Impression by a Host

Best Audience Correction and Omission

Best Mini Ep Correction & Omission

Best Thing that June is truly Upset by

Best New Movie Pitch based on a Movie that we watch (This Movie Should have been, a Sequel pitch or Alt movie)

Best Guest One Liner

Best Abuse of someone in the Crowd

Best Second Opinion

Best Second Opinion Theme

• Like 3

I’m kind of excited to go back and relisten to older episodes. :) 

• Like 1

I could probably listen to the last Howdies and find this out, but what as the cut off episode? I don’t want to re-nominate things.

• Like 1

I put it in the first post. 😉 It starts at episode 136 Hell Comes to Frogtown and goes through Great Wall (I guess.)

Do you want to divide some episodes up? 100 episodes is a lot for us all to go through. I know last time, Marissa gave us a list of episodes, we’d look for the listed topics and jot down the time stamps for any notable moments. 

ETA—I just started listening to Hell Comes to Frogtown 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I put it in the first post. 😉 It starts at episode 136 Hell Comes to Frogtown and goes through Great Wall (I guess.)

Do you want to divide some episodes up? 100 episodes is a lot for us all to go through. I know last time, Marissa gave us a list of episodes, we’d look for the listed topics and jot down the time stamps for any notable moments. 

ETA—I just started listening to Hell Comes to Frogtown 

Whoops I missed it. Remember not liking Hell Comes to Frogtown. 

Can we do worst kiss? Because I would nominate the Lake House. 

Oh and June not liking the Vin Diesel singing clips from xXx 2 to the June Not Having It. 

@Cameron H. I can certainly be responsible for the most recent ones if you want to focus on the older ones.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

@Cameron H. I can certainly be responsible for the most recent ones if you want to focus on the older ones.

Cool! I can start at 136-146 if you want to do 226-236. We can assign stuff to other people if they're interested, if not, we can just meet each other in the middle. We'll have to listen through the minis as well for good C&O's. Should we include Paul's Explanation Hope Line? I'm not sure if personal help, humorous or not, is something you include on a "best of" list... 

I think I'm going to edit my initial post to put a complete list of (tentative) topics. If you, or anyone, think of more we can pencil them in.

• Like 1

I added "Best Made Up Podcast" to the list ("Is this an episode of Tech Talk?")

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I added "Best Made Up Podcast" to the list ("Is this an episode of Tech Talk?")

Hmm. Can we expand on made up podcast and turn it into made up... thing? (Idk). “Fry or Fuck” the fake game show from “Van Helsing” and “Who’s Fucking” the fake Nicole Byer movie commentary from “The Meg”?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Hmm. Can we expand on made up podcast and turn it into made up... thing? (Idk). “Fry or Fuck” the fake game show from “Van Helsing” and “Who’s Fucking” the fake Nicole Byer movie commentary from “The Meg”?

That’s a great idea! Is there a way of wording that so it’s not so vague? Best Hypothetical...Side Project? (Lol I have no idea.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

That’s a great idea! Is there a way of wording that so it’s not so vague? Best Hypothetical...Side Project? (Lol I have no idea.)

Spin off idea? Idk.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Spin off idea? Idk.

That’s perfect! 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 7:10 PM, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Adding the Playgirl/Guy on a Boat story from 225: Friday the 13th. About 50 mins in.

• Like 1

Oh man, listening to these old minis makes me sad for all the posters who are no longer with us. I miss @Amy the Gorilla :( 

For consideration, Ep 136 Hell Comes to Frogtown

• Abuse of someone in the Crowd
    • 4:11-5:50 (Podcast nerds/the woman knitting in the front row during the show) (ETA: She returns in The Phantom episode at 1:02:55)
    • 1:06:06 ("I'm considered the Jason of our group...")

There are a couple of other things I could pull from this episode, but with 100 episodes to go through, I think it's best to hold them off unless a specific category is looking anemic.  

• Like 2