🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 89 Rock, Rock, Rock

Sorry, I’m late. Homeschooling...

We watched;

p5996_v_v8_aa.jpg

• Like 3

I'd there's one thing kids these days like, it's this rock and roll music. If there's two things kids like, it's banking!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think you could show this to your kids as homeschooling, so they learn all about finances

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Why is Mrs Silky such a fucking narc?

Yeah. Both parents? That seems like some overkill.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Yeah. Both parents? That seems like some overkill.

Yeah, I get her father, but what’s-her-face’s father too?!? I would take my business elsewhere.

• Like 2

I’m taking this 1/2 hour at a time, possibly to preserve what little sanity I have left. 

Observations on the first 1/2 hour:

I think I have forgotten the names of the songs either (a) on purpose (b) as a side effect of the terrible lip-syncing (I swear at one point Chuck Berry’s Mouth DID NOT MOVE while he was singing. An astonishing feat)!

Will what’s-her-name get the prom dress? I’m torn—don’t want spoilers but cant stand the suspense.

Will she stay on-budget?

I liked the reaction shots to the TV. The dad REALLY got into it, then went back to the paper.

I don’t like speaking badly about children but that musical number with the girl was fucking awful. 

it seems EVERY musical number was performed over the director screaming, “Less movement, goddamnit! Stay locked in place!”

Lingering question: So was this film’s sole existence to promote a TV show? I don’t think I’ve spent so long in a movie watching TV.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

I don’t like speaking badly about children but that musical number with the girl was fucking awful. 

That whole number was uncomfortable as all get out.

• Like 4

Yea that number was wild and bad. I wonder how it got stuck in there.

Generally though, the music was pretty solid all the way through, I thought. Diverse stuff too, not all just early rock.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea that number was wild and bad. I wonder how it got stuck in there.

Generally though, the music was pretty solid all the way through, I thought. Diverse stuff too, not all just early rock.

That's the one thing I liked in this was the music. There was some artist I didn't recognize at all. Was Jimmy Cavallo a big name in early rock? Or was he one of those "big for the month this movie was filmed so he lucked out being in this". Was he friends with Stan Freed (or a payola person)? I had at least heard of almost all the other bands in this. It seemed strange that Jimmy Cavallo got a couple songs in this movie.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

That's the one thing I liked in this was the music. There was some artist I didn't recognize at all. Was Jimmy Cavallo a big name in early rock? Or was he one of those "big for the month this movie was filmed so he lucked out being in this". Was he friends with Stan Freed (or a payola person)? I had at least heard of almost all the other bands in this. It seemed strange that Jimmy Cavallo got a couple songs in this movie.

According to Wikipedia:

James Cavallo (March 14, 1927 – December 2, 2019)was an American musician best known for performing with his band in the 1956 movie, Rock, Rock, Rock, by pioneering music DJ Alan Freed. Jimmy and the Houserockers were the first white band to play at the Apollo Theater in Harlem, where they celebrated the movie's release.

So, it looks like Freed was trying to make him a "thing." It does look like he *just* died which is kind of sad.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Yeah, I get her father, but what’s-her-face’s father too?!? I would take my business elsewhere.

How do you think she got the name Mrs. Silky?  She was all smooth up front but would go medieval on your ass if needed.  She must have been the only dressmaker in town at this point.

"Nice dress shop you've got here.  Shame if something happened to it."

• Like 2

Could Alan Freed have been a less-inspiring salesman for this?  He even "sang" the lead in one song and I was cringing the entire time.

• Like 3

From IMDB: "This early rock and roll feature, the 3rd in a series of 5 starring Disc Jockey and Rock N Roll impresario Alan Freed".

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

From IMDB: "This early rock and roll feature, the 3rd in a series of 5 starring Disc Jockey and Rock N Roll impresario Alan Freed".

We got four more to watch!

• Like 3

I was stoked to see Johnny Burnette.

Another one of his train songs went on to be covered by The Yardbirds and when Jimmy Page left that group and started up Led Zeppelin, they'd also cover it in the early days before they had enough songs to do. Legend is, it's actually the song the four Zep guys played when they first got in a room to meet.

Yardbirds version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y078n95ApAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y078n95ApA

Zep:

• Like 4

So, how old was Tuesday Weld supposed to be? I assumed she was supposed to be in high school but she was 12 or 13 when this was filmed and she definitely looked 12 or 13.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

So, how old was Tuesday Weld supposed to be? I assumed she was supposed to be in high school but she was 12 or 13 when this was filmed and she definitely looked 12 or 13.

I’d guess a junior or senior in high school since she was getting a strapless evening gown for prom.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I’d guess a junior or senior in high school since she was getting a strapless evening gown for prom.

That's what I would think but it so unusual to have a much younger actress play older in this age range.

6 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Could Alan Freed have been a less-inspiring salesman for this?  He even "sang" the lead in one song and I was cringing the entire time.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. It honestly seemed like he was clapping off-tempo, and I just wanted him to shut up and let the musician play.

his musical contributions seemed to be him saying variations on “Let’s rock.” I would put an exclamation point there, but his delivery doesn’t warrant  that punctuation.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. It honestly seemed like he was clapping off-tempo, and I just wanted him to shut up and let the musician play.

his musical contributions seemed to be him saying variations on “Let’s rock.” I would put an exclamation point there, but his delivery doesn’t warrant  that punctuation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

God, this is so fucking hilarious!

• Like 3

I wish I had seen this yesterday.  I am not exactly sure what an aircheck is but I know disc jockeys keep some as portfolios and for memories.  Here's one for Alan Freed from 66 years ago and a day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

God, this is so fucking hilarious!

We've commented on Tuesday Weld's age but her friend must be similar!  God they look like little kids not high school seniors!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

We've commented on Tuesday Weld's age but her friend must be similar!  God they look like little kids not high school seniors!

Arabella was played by Fran Manfred but I can't find any age info.  Apparently she was also a singer around this time.

• Like 3