12 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Are you learning any thing? 🙂

lol--Nope. 

Everything is going great...

Spoiler

move-along-nothing-to-see-here-gif-8.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I thought I was horribly white then I heard Alan Freed trying to sing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m taking @Cameron H.’s suggestions for my weekend project and am in the middle of The Paper Chase now. Will watch Edward Scissorhands later or tomorrow. I HAVE to watch them in the proper order. It’s a moral imperative.

I just finished The Paper Chase. I welcome your comments because I am not sure about it. It was similar to Fame (or vice versa) in that a group of students push through a trying school (Harvard Law in this case) with varying degrees of success. (Like Fame it also spawned a successful, entertaining TV show.) There is an attempted suicide, dropouts, and one student we follow throughout. This movie has better focus since it only covers the first year. On the other hand I find it less satisfying because I know he has more challenging years ahead of him. If he thought the first year was tough just wait!

The story is also like The Jazz Singer in that the character runs away from people who care about him and then comes back and they’re fine with it. He sort of redeems that in the end but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to his assholery.

I would give it 6/10. I am glad I watched it but once is enough.

22 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I just finished The Paper Chase. I welcome your comments because I am not sure about it. It was similar to Fame (or vice versa) in that a group of students push through a trying school (Harvard Law in this case) with varying degrees of success. (Like Fame it also spawned a successful, entertaining TV show.) There is an attempted suicide, dropouts, and one student we follow throughout. This movie has better focus since it only covers the first year. On the other hand I find it less satisfying because I know he has more challenging years ahead of him. If he thought the first year was tough just wait!

The story is also like The Jazz Singer in that the character runs away from people who care about him and then comes back and they’re fine with it. He sort of redeems that in the end but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to his assholery.

I would give it 6/10. I am glad I watched it but once is enough.

I liked The Paper Chase just fine. I think the comparison to Fame is interesting and sort of apt. It does kind of feel like a lot of stereotypes we all believe of law school. You're right that it's more focused than Fame. I think following a group of students all in the same classes with a single "villain" gives it a bit more structure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

On the other hand I find it less satisfying because I know he has more challenging years ahead of him. If he thought the first year was tough just wait!

First year in law school is the trying, difficult one. For various reasons. But it generally gets easier from there. (I'm a lawyer.) I've been meaning to watch Paper Chase sometime, I'll try to do that this week!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

First year in law school is the trying, difficult one. For various reasons. But it generally gets easier from there. (I'm a lawyer.) I've been meaning to watch Paper Chase sometime, I'll try to do that this week!

Oh crap.  Now we're all going to get billed for this response.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

That's good to know.  Thank you. We never see him in any other class.  The study group each takes their special subject to outline but I assume the students still have to attend.  Don't they?

8 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I'd be curious how accurate this is to the law school experience. I'm assuming it's kind of the Platoon of law school movies where he condensed every crazy story into one group of kids. I assume there's some validity because the author was a lawyer. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I'd be curious how accurate this is to the law school experience. I'm assuming it's kind of the Platoon of law school movies where he condensed every crazy story into one group of kids. I assume there's some validity because the author was a lawyer. 

yea i am sure it's a little blown out of proportion/hyperbolic, but there is a lot of lingering 'have to make the first year brutal' sentiments out there by lawyers/professors. will report back!

On 4/13/2020 at 5:43 AM, Cinco DeNio said:

That's good to know.  Thank you. We never see him in any other class.  The study group each takes their special subject to outline but I assume the students still have to attend.  Don't they?

Yea, they would still attend. Outlines are basically little synopses of every case you're going to discuss: main facts, arguments, the final holding. Then when you're called on, you can have those at the ready. I guess it helps to do it via a group because it's so much material (I studied alone as best I could, I prefer it, but couldn't always avoid it).

On 4/13/2020 at 6:46 AM, grudlian. said:

It's pretty accurate. I think modern professors are probably a little less rude/argumentative, but the putting your knowledge on the spot like that in class would still happen. (Or did when I went 15 years ago.) Also what it really nails is how much it makes you insufferable, when this sort of overwhelming experience is all you think about. We didn't have suicide attempts at my school, but in our first year there were plenty of drop-outs, crazy relationships, etc., so I didn't take this as condensed as a Platoon. Felt all pretty real to me.

• Like 2