🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 73 — Ooey Gooey Sui

It's been quite a while since we've checked in with our friend Natasha Leggero. We were thrilled to have her back on the show this week to learn about J-Pop sensation Nicki Minaj in the Music Chart, get a sight-unseen review of Chimpanzee in the Movie Chart, and play a round of N.L.-themed Chart Piñata. Natasha dishes dirt on David Bowie and we get a peek into the Kremer family history and possibly the greatest candy innovation known to man. Until next time, keep thumbping!

As the coiner of "thumping" I absolutely INSIST that is what it be called.

• Like 2

For several weeks now, I've enjoyed the random chatter much more than the opinions of what's going on with the charts.

perfume.jpg

You guys gotta give Perfume another chance! you're missing the visual element of this group. Whats not to like about 3 long legged japanese girls with dope dance moves?

"Morning Musume" is actually kind of a has-been group. They do chart when they debut a new single, but that's only because the Japanese music industry is so homogenous. You'll have one or two real hit groups at the top, and then the B and C list artists will squabble over the lower ranks. Morning Musume has enough diehard fans that they can make the top 5 with every new single, but they drop off immediately. To give some perspective: back in the early 2000s, when they were REALLY popular, every single would debut at #1 and stay on the charts for awhile. Plus they had several spinoff groups of 3-4 members each that would put out #1 singles as well, and a few of the members had hit singles as solo artists on top of that. The whole reason they've been trying to make money overseas in China and at anime conventions is because the Japanese market has dried up so much.

The real hit girl group is AKB48. AKB comes from Akihabara, often called "AKIBA," the district of Tokyo where they are centered and do most of their live shows. 48 is because there are 48 members. Yes, 48. You guys thought it was crazy that Morning Musume has 15 members, but this group genuninely has 48! Not only that, but there are a bunch more spinoff groups in other parts of Japan, and all of them have 48 members too!

Too bad AKB48 wasn't on the charts this week. I would have liked to see how Natasha would have reacted.

Thumbping — FTW

I'm with Howard… Backstreet Boys is a deal-breaker, but that explains why Kulap is married to Scott and not me (or you).

This round of Chart Piñata was different in that the candy didn't fall every time - until the end. That's new right? I liked it.

Also the pics from this ep. are the most unflattering I've ever seen of the usually gorgeous Naty Leggs, so… congrats?

• Like 1

I can't figure Howard out. At times he sounds so silly, then other times I think he's the most brillant person on the internet. Perhaps I need to faint more to fully understand.

I'm with Howard… Backstreet Boys is a deal-breaker, but that explains why Kulap is married to Scott and not me (or you).

Compared to Kulap's astrological retreats, alien/pyramid/conspiracy theory infatuation, and other such mystical ayahuasca dreamcatcher indigo children crystal skull nonsense, the Choctaw's appreciation for the Backstreet Boys seems downright reasonable.

This round of Chart Piñata was different in that the candy didn't fall every time - until the end. That's new right? I liked it.

Toward the end of the recording, it sounded like Kulap realized the episode was running long, and they trimmed a bunch of fat as a result.

Also the pics from this ep. are the most unflattering I've ever seen of the usually gorgeous Naty Leggs, so… congrats?

Eh, the photo archive indicates a lot of people don't bother getting all dolled up for the recording of an audio-only podcast.

• Like 1

Woop, nice ep. I like when WC gets some lady energy, as the Sklars would say.

Leggaro and Kulap are good together.

Goddamnit, Howard killed in this episode.

NL: Do you think you have to eat the whole thing?

HK: Uh...maybe half. Split it with a friend.

Ooey Gooey Sui in original:

tumblr_m31zkhK9DU1rpdcuwo1_500.jpg

And in response to our consumers, the new Ooey Gooey Sui Ice Cream Bar peanut-free for those with nut allergies.

tumblr_m33pma3lYv1rpdcuwo1_500.jpg

• Like 2

You guys gotta give Perfume another chance! you're missing the visual element of this group. Whats not to like about 3 long legged japanese girls with dope dance moves?

Agreed. It was a little sad to hear them shit on Perfume.

• Like 1

Woah ease up there, it's called aging. And yeah you don't exactly need to dress up for a podcast. I often podcast while wearing a onesie.

Does anyone know the name of that song they were singing that Natty said Morning Musume sounds like? I tried Googling different combinations of "kylie minogue lyrics another night always be true" and found nothing.

Does anyone know the name of that song they were singing that Natty said Morning Musume sounds like? I tried Googling different combinations of "kylie minogue lyrics another night always be true" and found nothing.

Real McCoy - Another Night

Thumbping — FTW

Post a pic of yourself. Do it. Right now.

Sign in to follow this