🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Amy3125

Great Balls of Fire

Dennis Quaid at his most inscestiously creepy, and therefore best. Winona Ryder as gum-popping southern jailbait. Jerry Lee Lewis music.

Simply a masterpiece of shit.

• Like 1

I can't tell if Dennis Quaid is a good actor or not; but this movie made him seem like a fucking idiot. Maybe he just nailed the role, and Jerry Lee Lewis was just a total dumbfuck?!? Either way, the movie was a complete train wreck. Not sure if it's HDTGM worthy, but still a worthy one to bring up.

And you got to love Alex Baldwin as Jimmy Swaggart!

Overall the film is total POS; watered down simpleton written script and some god-aweful acting by Dennis Quaid. Hell, if The Killer himself stated he hated the film, that's a HDTGM Seal of Approval to view this one!

• Like 1

'Great Balls Of Fire' is probably one of the worst biopic movies ever created. Dennis Quaid does one of the most horrendous southern accents known to mankind, sounds like he is mocking people from the south.

This movie serves more as a slam of Jerry Lee Lewis. He's portrayed as a completely unlikeable, unredeeming character, which begs the question as to why the film would even be made to begin with.

Don't fret, there are some WTF moments in this...A smitten young gal in a fringe leather jacket goes into a full on, standing seizure just from listening to the very first live verison of Lewis's "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On".

...A recipe for this movie might go something like this:

- Add 1 part, Cooky Quaid Faces

- Mix, Moderately Offensive Southen Accent

- Sprinkle, Incestuous Marriage with a Dollop of Pedophilia

- Glaze, 1 Seizure in a Fringe Leather Jacket

- Bake for a runtime of 1hr 48min, or until nausea induced

GBOF.jpg

Dennis Quaid is one of those actors who seemingly takes any movie that was 3 down in his pile of scripts to consider. Certainly makes for an interesting career with hugely diverse characters, if not actual performances. I like how he can make a low budget film that might get ignored into something vaguely watchable and then is up to par when you stick him in with other top-notch actors.

To me I think of this film like many British bio-pics where they only focus on the negative aspects of a persons character and drop in the genius parts (the shows, roles, movies, songs, etc) to stop it being unremittingly sour. For that reason i detested the Peter Sellers bio-pic for its depressing and, allegedly, highly inaccurate portrayal.

Sign in to follow this