🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
muttnik

Episode 238.5 — Prequel to 239

The dangers of flour, how to tell your next door neighbor to stop being polite, and more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul offers advice as he opens up the Paul Help Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Bloodshot, and shares a deleted scene from the Bloodshot episode about Harry Potter. Plus, find out which movie will be covered next week!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out The Jane Club over at www.janeclub.com

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

• Thanks 1

Mods, please feel free to edit if I messed anything up, I was just so excited (I Kermit flailed) because we're finally getting Cool World! ::DJ airhorns::

You can also watch Cool World through Tubi. 🎉

A part of me still feels like the initial Sonic trailer was a scam and intentionally bad to drum up outrage/press/general interest and the final product always existed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, muttnik said:

Mods, please feel free to edit if I messed anything up, I was just so excited (I Kermit flailed) because we're finally getting Cool World! ::DJ airhorns::

You can also watch Cool World through Tubi. 🎉

A part of me still feels like the initial Sonic trailer was a scam and intentionally bad to drum up outrage/press/general interest and the final product always existed.

tenor.gif

• Like 2

In response to the first caller, I think it’s best to maintain a certain level of continuity even though you’re at home. Lunches shouldn’t be that difficult if you were already preparing lunches for school. You can just make a lunch the night before, put it in a lunchbox, and give it to them for lunch. You don’t have to straight up cook every meal just because you’re home

Also, we try to take our kids for a walk or bike ride twice a day—practicing safe, social distancing, of course. Nothing super long, but long enough that they can run and get some of their energy out. This way they are less inclined to be crawling all over you while you are trying to work.

Also, there are a ton of really cool educational apps out there for kids that can keep them pretty well occupied without being total brain rot. The Google Arts & Culture also app provides virtual tours that my kids love. 

Nothing is perfect of course, but these things have worked pretty well for us.

• Like 3

Oh, Cool World. Oy. I hate Bakshi and rotoscoping (at least, 90s and earlier roto) so hard to say if I'll put myself through that again.

One comment about the Harry Potter audio books: Jim Dale is fine but Stephen Fry reads the UK editions. And for those like me who enjoy HP well enough but wish it was more, shall we say, gay: I highly recommend the two Simon Snow books by Rainbow Rowell, Carry On and Wayward Son. It's essentially HP fanfic, but well written and compelling and fun. They are actually spinoffs of one of her other books, Fangirl, which is also good but honestly I like the Snow books the most of all her stuff so far.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

One comment about the Harry Potter audio books: Jim Dale is fine but Stephen Fry reads the UK editions.

Here’s a funny Cracked article from a few years ago regarding Rowling’s petty revenge on Stephen Fry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Here’s a funny Cracked article from a few years ago regarding Rowling’s petty revenge on Stephen Fry.

Ha, wow. I had never heard of this but I can't say I am surprised, she seems like a challenging person to deal with.

• Like 2

Fucking. Cool. World. I absolutely loved that movie as a kid (probably not the greatest movie for a kid to watch but 🤷‍♂️

Can't wait to rewatch it now

• Like 3

I will say I don’t think the HP books are as flawlessly executed as Jason thinks they are (maybe we gotta get DanRad back on the show) but they are very good and something I recommend as comfort reading. 

5 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

JKR reminds me so much of Hermione when she is mad. She goes scary places. 

Anyway, I look forward to future articles about George RR Martin’s “petty” revenges on the show runners. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

I will say I don’t think the HP books are as flawlessly executed as Jason thinks they are (maybe we gotta get DanRad back on the show) but they are very good and something I recommend as comfort reading. 

JKR reminds me so much of Hermione when she is mad. She goes scary places. 

Anyway, I look forward to future articles about George RR Martin’s “petty” revenges on the show runners. 

I agree. It’s fantastic world building, but the stories themselves are pretty clunky—particularly the later books, which I feel really needed some editorial oversight. Like, I get she was making people a ton of money at that point and it’s hard to say “no,” but there are plot lines that are introduced and dropped with no resolution or impact on the overall plot. For example, Hermione’s S.P.E.W stuff is a nice idea, but really slows the momentum of the books down—especially when you consider it never really pays off. The last page of the last book ends with Harry demanding a sandwich from Kreacher for Christ’s sake! Lesson clearly not learned! (Although I’m sure she has a BS excuse like, “Just because you defeat one evil doesn’t mean prejudices don’t still exist,” or some such. And even if that actually was her intention, it comes off sloppy.)

• Like 3

Def a love-hate relationship with Harry Potter. Didn't care at all for the first book, turned around and loved the richness as it build in the second and third, only to be disappointed and apathetic by the end. One of the key disappointments was the whole SPEW thing. Here is a character (a strong female protagonist) clearly aiming to do something heroic and fight a true injustice against an impoverished indentured class, only to have it be so dismissed on every level by the characters and the author herself. I understand that implicitly an American is going to read into these class-ish issues differently than a British person, but it's Just. So. Glaring. If being anti-establishment in this manner is going to make me a Slytherin, then damn straight I'm going to wear those color with pride. 

In related news, for a different writing project, I set out looking at strange conspiracy theories. Apparently there is a real conspiracy theory out there that JK Rowling doesn't exist. That would explain a lot, though. 

• Like 2
  • Hedgehog 1

18 minutes ago, DannytheWall said:

Def a love-hate relationship with Harry Potter. Didn't care at all for the first book, turned around and loved the richness as it build in the second and third, only to be disappointed and apathetic by the end. One of the key disappointments was the whole SPEW thing. Here is a character (a strong female protagonist) clearly aiming to do something heroic and fight a true injustice against an impoverished indentured class, only to have it be so dismissed on every level by the characters and the author herself. I understand that implicitly an American is going to read into these class-ish issues differently than a British person, but it's Just. So. Glaring. If being anti-establishment in this manner is going to make me a Slytherin, then damn straight I'm going to wear those color with pride. 

In related news, for a different writing project, I set out looking at strange conspiracy theories. Apparently there is a real conspiracy theory out there that JK Rowling doesn't exist. That would explain a lot, though. 

Grawp (or whatever) was another pointless detour. I think that whole situation *might* amount to a little more in the book, but there’s absolutely no reason why that was included in the movie. It’s brought up once and forgotten forever.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Oh, Cool World. Oy. I hate Bakshi and rotoscoping (at least, 90s and earlier roto) so hard to say if I'll put myself through that again.

Understandable. I've only seen American Pop once with friends which they loved but I didn't. Cool World has a place in my heart because I saw it when I was a kid sneakily watching late night cable. It was too bizarre to look away from and felt like I was seeing some sort of anomaly I wasn't meant to. Plus the soundtrack. Who knows if the original idea for the movie before all the interference would have been better.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 3:59 PM, Elektra Boogaloo said:

No way — he owes them big time. Either he limps across the finish line and benefits from the lowered expectations, or more likely, realizes that a neat, satisfying ending is fundamentally at odds with the story he's been telling and retires in peace on top of a gigantic pile of money.

Personally, the most authentic GOT ending is Martin unceremoniously dying of old age without providing any sort of resolution, and I genuinely hope that is his plan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1. I love that Tall John Scheer pronounced my username as something like "renounce-able shaw".

2. Terry Pratchett does everything JK Rowling does (and more) but does it with more thought, humor, intelligence, humanity, and pathos.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 10:24 AM, theworstbuddhist said:

Bakshi will forever have my love for Fire And Ice:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

Bakshi will forever have my love for Fire And Ice:

Fair enough, though I think I would give Frazetta the bulk of the credit for that movie. The roto looks OK in that trailer at least!

• Like 3

Credit for the look and the style, also the inspiration, but doing paintings (as stone-cold brilliant as Frazetta was) is different from crafting an actual film.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 10:24 AM, theworstbuddhist said:

Oh, Cool World. Oy. I hate Bakshi and rotoscoping (at least, 90s and earlier roto) so hard to say if I'll put myself through that again

I wouldn't say I hate Bakshi, but I think almost every movie I've seen is not very good (but as Quasar said, I remember liking Fire And Ice and I have some fondness for Lord Of The Rings). I respect him for doing low budget animation largely outside the studio system for adults instead of pandering. I like the ideas he tries to do and the complicated nature of his movies.

But his movies never convey his ideas well. When I've heard him talk about what he's doing in his movies, they all sound super interesting. The final product is a big mess. I've wondered how much is his low budget but I suspect they wouldn't be that much better with more money (except they'd look a lot better probably).

• Like 4

On 5/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, willycliffton said:

Fucking. Cool. World. I absolutely loved that movie as a kid (probably not the greatest movie for a kid to watch but 🤷‍♂️

Can't wait to rewatch it now

This movie may be peak Pretty Brad Pitt.

coolworld-JPG_190958.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure if people know this but if you want a break from bad movies The National Theatre, The Show Must Go On (Dame Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber), and Shakespeare's Globe YouTube channels are all uploading free full length plays for short windows of time for people to watch. If you're into Shakespeare today The National Theatre is doing Anthony and Cleopatra starring Voldemort himself Ralph Fiennes and Sophie Okonedo. And Macbeth next Monday over on The Globe's channel. If you act quickly you can still catch the Cumberbatch/Lee Miller Frankenstein on The National Theatre and The Globe's The Two Noble Kinsmen.

• Like 6

On 5/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, E.Lerner said:

No way — he owes them big time.

I completely disagree but don’t really want to fight about it. I was one of those nerds who was unhappy with the series from the beginning and has passionate opinions about the erasure of Arianne Martell. 

Anyway, bad movies!

• Like 1

First time commenter, long time listener.

This has been weighing on my chest since I heard this mini sode. I didn't want to say anything, but it's been bothering me for weeks now. I haven't been able to listen to any of the new episodes, even cool world, one of my favorite terrible movies. 

I'm a retired sex worker, but I know from my friends still in the biz that it's really fucking hard for them right now.. People already have such low opinions of sex workers that they don't think twice about taking money out of their pockets, even though the majority of us are incredibly marginalized and at or below the poverty line. Sex work is usually survival work. So when someone like Jason cracks jokes about stealing from sex workers, it only serves to further normalize it

The caller had a right to sound pissed. I‘m pissed. It broke my heart to hear Paul be so dismissive. 

I thought I'd share a mutual aid fund i like to support, Black Sex Workers Collective

• Like 4