đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 91 Hello Again

To me the biggest problem with this movie is that they have all these things but don't ever really use them to say anything interesting at all.

First, the time jumps are entirely pointless. They really wanted to do solider going to war, Titanic and Cher's Believe but couldn't do them all at once so they came up with this time hoping as an excuse I'm pretty sure. The time jumps go forward and backwards but really tell us nothing. Titanic aside, is there anything gained from putting any of the stories in that time period and not the present? Would the music producer/singer be any different in 2017 than in 2002? In 2017 couldn't you pick up a guy in a bar by saying you're writing a screenplay for Brad Pitt? Nothing is gained or no extra insight is given by having these things set in the different time periods, so why not put them all now? Also by having the actors play the same "role" I got confused because they time jumps were not extreme enough. I literally thought the nurse was the same nurse, and Rummer Willis was the same wife. It's only because her hair was different that I eventually clued in (though her story was somewhat similar which didn't help) but make the jumps a bit bigger or clearer if you are going to do it. And it's not if it's saying "being a nurse in the 60s is sure different than being one in the 40s" The actors playing the same role in different times doesn't change anything because it's who they are interacting with that changes (or doesn't change) their treatment not the time.

• Like 5

I didn't mind the time jumping, but yea, there's no real point to this film. Except maybe that 'love sucks, don't trust anyone' which is a pretty unenjoyable message.

• Like 3

Like from the trailer and the name I thought this would be something a long the lines of "these two souls keep finding each other in different generations" but it was literally "Oh, you'll be used in 1902 and 2002!"

5 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I didn't mind the time jumping, but yea, there's no real point to this film. Except maybe that 'love sucks, don't trust anyone' which is a pretty unenjoyable message.

I think that's a big part why I couldn't get behind this because while the details varied it was that message which just shows you "Oh you think this might turn out different, nope! Sucks here too!" Like I get that maybe the idea is that they wanted to play with different social classes and be like "see we're all the same" but I don't think that came through as much as "don't have sex, you'll just end up being used"

• Like 4

Unrelated to the movie, but a thought I kept having during the movie was "Did anybody from Glee go on to do anything?" Like Cheyenne Jackson  got aboard to the Ryan Murphy train, so he's been steadily working. Lea Michael was thrown a Ryan Murphy shaped bone with Scream Queens, but outside of that what has she done? What have any of them really done? Maybe they're more busy in the theater, I don't know.

Also, how badly screwed Jenna Ushkowitz on Glee? They just didn't know what to do with her after season one. In fairness after that it became the Lea Michael and Chris Colfer show and there was no room for any other characters that weren't in those direct stories. But Tina, once the stuttering was over just faded into the background. I don't know what show I hate watched more, Glee or True Blood.

• Like 3

I wouldn’t have minded the time jumps as much if it wasn’t supposed to be the same character. I might have that wrong and it might just be to show which actor was making the jump. For instance, the first Rumer Willis vignette is titled The College Boy and The Young Wife. The next is The Young Wife and The Husband. THEN it’s The Husband and The Young Thing, set on The Titanic. Both Young Wife segments happened in later decades so The Husband traveled back several decades if it is supposed to be The Husband.

if you need me I will be over here binge-watching 7:35 in the Morning (the original pick).

• Like 5

I feel like I've been watching Hello Again all weekend, so how is it that I still have an hour left?!  Help me...

2 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Like from the trailer and the name I thought this would be something a long the lines of "these two souls keep finding each other in different generations" but it was literally "Oh, you'll be used in 1902 and 2002!"

They should've made Cloud Atlas, the musical.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

I feel like I've been watching Hello Again all weekend, so how is it that I still have an hour left?!  Help me...

They should've made Cloud Atlas, the musical.  

I’m a half hour in and I’m going nuts.

• Like 4

What did you all think of the music?

I liked a couple of songs (one by Rumer Willis and one near the end) but mainly I found them completely unremarkable

I'm still baffled why they didn't match music style to the era. I guess the '70s one was vaguely disco-ish, but that seemed like a real clear choice to be doing in a musical like this and they didn't.

• Like 2

Just now, AlmostAGhost said:

I liked a couple of songs (one by Rumer Willis and one near the end) but mainly I found them completely unremarkable

I'm still baffled why they didn't match music style to the era. I guess the '70s one was vaguely disco-ish, but that seemed like a real clear choice to be doing in a musical like this and they didn't.

That’s definitely weird. According to Wikipedia (so you know it’s true) the musical’s author came up with the different decades precisely so he could use different musical styles.

• Like 3

Sadly, I completely forgot about this because I was filling out job applications all week. Everyone’s reactions makes me weirdly thankful for ...annoying paperwork???!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Of what I've seen so far, the music seems I dunno, anemic?  "Unremarkable" is fitting too.  The only song that managed to get stuck in my head is Neil Diamond's Hello Again.

40 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Sadly, I completely forgot about this because I was filling out job applications all week. Everyone’s reactions makes me weirdly thankful for ...annoying paperwork???!!

Good luck!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

It has a very “I’m winging it” quality to it. It’s kind of how I felt about some of the music in Jesus Christ Superstar, but less memorable. Like, you can’t hum along to it or anything.

• Like 2

To those watching it I would say the last bit is a lot better. Once you actually spend time with them and not just focus on the sex.

5 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I just watched this yesterday and the only songs I vaguely remember are Cher's Believe, a kinda silly one about getting a blow job in a boat and the one with the guys getting married. My lack of ability to recall any words I think says it all. So aside from autotuning the one song they're all the same sounding and the fact that they talk sing everything sometimes it's hard to tell when they were singing a song versus just talking.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

To those watching it I would say the last bit is a lot better. Once you actually spend time with them and not just focus on the sex.

I will power through to get to the Audra McDonald vignette.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

I will power through to get to the Audra McDonald vignette.

vignettes remember everybody gets two because... that's what Cloud Atlas did?

• Like 2

You cannot sing the lines “The greatest adventure” without my brain immediately going here...

• Like 3

And you cannot bring up The Hobbit without my mind immediately going here...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And you can’t bring up Star Trek actors singing without me thinking...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And you can't bring up singing Star Fleet captains without me thinking...

• Like 3

And you can’t bring up Star Fleet without me thinking about space...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

You cannot sing the lines “The greatest adventure” without my brain immediately going here...

I remember loving this as a kid. I’m scared to watch it as an adult.

• Like 4

And you can't bring up fun educational songs without me thinking of...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

One of my favorite movies growing up. I just bought it on streaming a couple weeks ago!

• Like 3

You cannot mention the title without me thinking of

• Like 3