🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 91 Hello Again

1 hour ago, Cinco DeNio said:

One of my favorite movies growing up. I just bought it on streaming a couple weeks ago!

The big question...How does it hold up?

4 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

I remember loving this as a kid. I’m scared to watch it as an adult.

You have to watch it in memory of Orson Bean’s (Bilbo’s voice) recent passing.

• Like 4

Just now, GrahamS. said:

The big question...How does it hold up?

I liked it fine. The only problem I had is the “commercial time” and “back from commercial” loud music.

• Like 3

Oh man, I love the Rankin & Bass Hobbit. I know it's not perfect, but it really has an indelible tone that few other animated films have. It's that singular sense of antiquity that sets the story apart from the Lord of the Rings books that came later, as well as other animated and fantasy films. It was also my first exposure to Tolkien as a kid.

• Like 4

Thanks a lot, I kind of want to watch The Hobbit cartoon now.  

On 5/4/2020 at 1:07 PM, AlmostAGhost said:

I'm still baffled why they didn't match music style to the era. I guess the '70s one was vaguely disco-ish, but that seemed like a real clear choice to be doing in a musical like this and they didn't.

Now that I've endured the whole thing, I think I'm most disappointed with the 80s song.  It sounded like every other song in the musical.  And earlier, what a weird choice to autotune Audra McDonald.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

Now that I've endured the whole thing, I think I'm most disappointed with the 80s song.  It sounded like every other song in the musical.  And earlier, what a weird choice to autotune Audra McDonald.  

Amazon has it to rent. I believe the other main services offer rental and purchase options. It links to Movies Anywhere so your purchase in one service will be available in others. (I bought it in Vudu and can watch it at Amazon.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomspanks said:

I will slightly defend the autotune one just because A) it was the only different sounding song and B ) was the only one to really match the time. That said, yes she's a great singer and it does ruin it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

I will slightly defend the autotune one just because A) it was the only different sounding song and B ) was the only one to really match the time. That said, yes she's a great singer and it does ruin it.

It makes sense in the context of the era but I still hate it

tenor.gif?itemid=13008115

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

@grudlian.and @AlmostAGhost, did you see the pre-order for Bob Dylan’s “Rough and Rowdy Ways?” (I preordered ☺️)

I did yea! Haven't ordered yet though. Very excited. Really curious about it too. I like Tempest a bit, but at the same time, I rarely listen to it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

@grudlian.and @AlmostAGhost, did you see the pre-order for Bob Dylan’s “Rough and Rowdy Ways?” (I preordered ☺️)

I haven't pre-ordered it yet, but I'm definitely going to get it. I like the new single too. This album is going to be all over the place. The singles that have come out are all really different from each other. It's also only 10 songs but comes on 2 CDs. Are there multiple songs as long as Murder Most Foul?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I haven't pre-ordered it yet, but I'm definitely going to get it. I like the new single too. This album is going to be all over the place. The singles that have come out are all really different from each other. It's also only 10 songs but comes on 2 CDs. Are there multiple songs as long as Murder Most Foul?

Well, the copy I pre ordered includes Murder Most Foul. It looks like the two tracks before it are also about 8 and 10 minutes long. Everything else is 6 mins or less.

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

Well, the copy I pre ordered includes Murder Most Foul. It looks like the two tracks before it are also about 8 and 10 minutes long. Everything else is 6 mins or less.

Wikipedia has the album as 70:33. Idk, Triplicate was only about two hours and it was split on three discs. Maybe there's a thematic reason. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Wikipedia has the album as 70:33. Idk, Triplicate was only about two hours and it was split on three discs. Maybe there's a thematic reason. 

Yea 2 CDs is a rip for that length. I think it's probably to match that it has to be 2 vinyls to fit though, but that's not how they should be doing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea 2 CDs is a rip for that length. I think it's probably to match that it has to be 2 vinyls to fit though, but that's not how they should be doing it.

Amazon has Murder Most Foul on its own disc but that is the only source I see with that distinction. Definitely still a rip off but, from the songs we've heard, Murder Most Foul feels the most different. So, maybe that's the reason? But I figure most people just get mp3s or stream it. Kind of a weird separation.

But here's the weirdest thing I've seen about the album. I don't know its origin of the cover artbut its been used as an album cover previously.
https://www.amazon.com/Mojo-Chess-Northern-VARIOUS-ARTISTS/dp/B0009MA996/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mojo+chess+northern+soul&qid=1589035498&sr=8-1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Amazon has Murder Most Foul on its own disc but that is the only source I see with that distinction. Definitely still a rip off but, from the songs we've heard, Murder Most Foul feels the most different. So, maybe that's the reason? But I figure most people just get mp3s or stream it. Kind of a weird separation.

But here's the weirdest thing I've seen about the album. I don't know its origin of the cover artbut its been used as an album cover previously.
https://www.amazon.com/Mojo-Chess-Northern-VARIOUS-ARTISTS/dp/B0009MA996/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=superdeluxeed-20&linkId=466e977009c8bc38b50973172b9741a4&language=en_US

Yea he's been repurposing old photos for covers for a bit now. If I remember, Tempest did, so maybe did Modern Times? Like I think they're clip art/stock photos almost haha.

The weird thing to me -- he said "Murder" was from years ago. So is this whole album just like leftover outtakes? But then they are calling it an album and it's not like he hasn't released tons of outtake collections. So there must be something new to it too (hopefully). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea he's been repurposing old photos for covers for a bit now. If I remember, Tempest did, so maybe did Modern Times? Like I think they're clip art/stock photos almost haha.

The weird thing to me -- he said "Murder" was from years ago. So is this whole album just like leftover outtakes? But then they are calling it an album and it's not like he hasn't released tons of outtake collections. So there must be something new to it too (hopefully). 

I didn't know that about the art on his recent albums. I get the feeling album covers have never been a big deal to Dylan. If they're using stock photos or whatever, I'm curious what the process is for deciding. But it makes me laugh thinking about people analyzing his old covers when Dylan might have very well thought nothing about it.

I'm wondering the same thing about this album. Is it just a collection of unreleased music from old sessions? Is that why Murder Most Foul gets its own disc?

Also, RIP Little Richard.

• Like 3

I'm very sorry for the long delay.  I was in the hospital again for over a week.  I don't want to let this week go by without discussing 7:35 in the Morning.  So, what the heck was the "meaning"?  As far as I can tell he was holding the cafe-goers hostage, having shown them his suicide vest?  But if that was the case why was the one guy the only one who trembled and couldn't deliver his lines?

• Like 1