🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
theworstbuddhist

Megaforce: Declassified

Hey, I did warn you that I would have a lot to say about Megaforce, which was done at the Just For Laughs festival last summer in Montreal and is just this week finally being run on the podcast. "Why on earth should I care about this Barry Bostwick movie?" you may ask yourself.

It's not up to me to convince you that you should or should not watch Megaforce, any more than I should try to convince you to eat a really good cheeseburger. It's not good for you, but you might really enjoy it, and you have to admit you're probably going to have that cheeseburger again sometime.

I've enjoyed the sloppy mess that is Megaforce at least a dozen times over the years. I watched it in the theatre for the first time when I was a kid. Every comic book had an ad for the movie for what seemed like forever up until it was finally released in 1982. And yet, I don't think there was a comic adaptation of the film, nor am I aware of a novelization, or any of the usual marketing tie-ins that we had come to expect for all of these would-be super-action franchises: Flash Gordon, Buckaroo Banzai, Remo Williams and so many lesser efforts. There were apparently Hot Wheels-type toys of some of the film vehicles, but other than that a surprising dearth of toys.

But, there is this stuff which I have held on to over the years: a VHS (formerly rental store) copy that I picked up used in the late lamented Honest Ed's emporium in Toronto; my DVD copy, which is probably still the edition available for sale; and an optimistic article about the film from a 1982 issue of Starlog. Enjoy.

rkRIty0.png

LL8dGp0.png

Br0fEQv.png

exbb5HN.png

YRRnNd5.png

4MfVY64.png

yT0iqcv.png

• Like 2

Can't believe I forgot to link to the title song from the film by a band called 707 (who I confused for years with 38 Special).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

Your excitement makes me excited. This will be a first-time viewing for me!

High five! How I envy anyone who sees this movie for the first time now. And that reminds me, for people who were wondering, apparently you can rent Megaforce from Amazon Prime for $3 in the US, so that's not too bad. Not sure about any other streaming options.

Since I have a surprise day off on Friday I think there is a good chance that I will get super baked and watch Megaforce on Thursday night just to refresh my memory before the episode drops. If anyone wants to join me I'll probably start around 10 PM ET.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

High five! How I envy anyone who sees this movie for the first time now. And that reminds me, for people who were wondering, apparently you can rent Megaforce from Amazon Prime for $3 in the US, so that's not too bad. Not sure about any other streaming options.

Since I have a surprise day off on Friday I think there is a good chance that I will get super baked and watch Megaforce on Thursday night just to refresh my memory before the episode drops. If anyone wants to join me I'll probably start around 10 PM ET.

Bump! Totally watching Megaforce in a little under 2 hours! I'll probably sit on Discord and chat about it, so if you want to join in watch this space and I'll post a link if I can figure it out.

Also just to give you a chuckle, I will confess at this point that I texted Paul for the first time today at 917 877 0657 to say hi and thanks for the excuse to watch Megaforce, and he sent a very kind reply, plus now I'm subscribed to his picks texts, so thanks Paul.

Sign in to follow this