🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GrahamS.

Flashback: Episode 102: Tango & Cash

This movie is fucking bonkers and this episode is hilarious. The movie joyfully encapsulates all the cheesy 80s action cliches plus it has set design and dialogue that have to be seen/heard to be believed. Other elements include:

Stallone as a “smart” cop who plays the stock market.

A cross-dressing Kurt Russell

Teri Hatcher in a terrible dance sequence with drums in a strip Club (?)

An actor who is not British doing a terrible accent as one of the villains 

A weird rip-off of Q from James Bond

Clint Howard

Jack Palance giving an insane performance in which he appears to have a sexual fetish for mice!

And more!

On STARZ now! WORTH IT!!!!!!!!

And the HDTGM episode with Nick Kroll is super awesome.

here’s the trailer:

• Like 1

I feel like there are a lot of movies in this vein that could be done on the podcast - buddy cop, 48 hours wannabe films like so many that got made with an asian martial arts star and an african-american comedian or rapper. And Steven Seagal films, how have we not done EVERY STEVEN SEAGAL film?

Also, Heartbeeps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I feel like there are a lot of movies in this vein that could be done on the podcast - buddy cop, 48 hours wannabe films like so many that got made with an asian martial arts star and an african-american comedian or rapper. And Steven Seagal films, how have we not done EVERY STEVEN SEAGAL film?

Also, Heartbeeps.

While I like Walter Hill films in general (I think his script for The Getaway (the Peckinpah version) and The Driver (which heavily influenced Baby Driver and Drive) are my favorites. While his 48 Hours set the template for 80s buddy cop movies, it’s so unpleasant to watch that it’s one of my least favorite of the genre. It’s well-Made and has Eddie Murphy’s breakout performance, but it’s so gritty that it feels genuinely sleazy and the race-baiting is tiresome.

I think that’s why I reacted to Tango & Cash in a surprisingly positive way, because while it’s super-derivative and does not have a functioning brain in its creative head, it’s fun! It feels like a bunch of people on coke trying to come up with cool shit and making completely disjointed trash instead (probably because they were snorting coke the whole time).

But yes, more Steven Seagal (or is it Segal? I could look it up, but I don’t think he’s worth it)!

Sign in to follow this