🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 94 Preview (CakeBug Tranch's Pick)

I put out a message to CakeBug to see if he wanted a pick, but I haven’t heard back. For now, I’m going to swap his and @Cam Bert’s weeks and see how it goes. :) 

• Like 1

I'm here! I'm here! But I guess... if it's already been flipped... I can come back in 2 weeks. I have a pick here but I'll wait to see if CamB has already picked something.

I miss everyone! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cakebug Tranch said:

I'm here! I'm here! But I guess... if it's already been flipped... I can come back in 2 weeks. I have a pick here but I'll wait to see if CamB has already picked something.

I miss everyone! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cakebug Tranch said:

I miss everyone! 

You are missed as well.

I gladly give the floor over to you. Pick away my good man.

• Like 1

Now I just remembered the horrors of Across The Universe and completely regret my decision...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry that my inability to check email last night meant I delayed the pick today. I am never around here anymore but that doesn't mean I don't miss you all, and I am especially appreciative of watching you all generate great work over on Letterboxd. I had a bit of a struggle this week with what I would pick: should I pick the standard HDTGM-worthy thing to make fun of, or something that would pep us up in this difficult time? In the end, I chose the latter, a generally well-received musical based on a Broadway production that launched an international career. What's that you say? "They didn't make a Broadway musical of Across the Universe!"

Yet. They haven't made it yet.

Anyway, I noticed that this movie had been added to Netflix, I had never seen it, but my wife said "oh, I want to see that!", which is as much as to say, I'm picking that, instead of the terrible movie I was going to pick. So, let's all watch the movie version of the Broadway musical that would eventually launch the career of Rachel Berry!

image.png.f42ff9ce53d2cff06225e07f0aadf6b0.png

No one in this thread had reviewed it on Letterboxd yet, so hopefully this is a new experience for many of us! It's nice to be back! I'll try to remember to be around more! (I've said that 3000 times in the last 3 years. Sorry guys.)

• Like 8

Awesome pick! No, I haven't seen this, and I just found out recently it's based on a true story. I'm looking forward to it :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Awesome pick! No, I haven't seen this, and I just found out recently it's based on a true story. I'm looking forward to it :) 

I know I can look it up but I want to guess first.  Is this one of the films (or the only film) that covers the life & career of Fanny Brice (Baby Snooks)?  It's either this or Funny Lady, I know that.

58 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I know I can look it up but I want to guess first.  Is this one of the films (or the only film) that covers the life & career of Fanny Brice (Baby Snooks)?  It's either this or Funny Lady, I know that.

I believe it’s the same person.

• Thanks 1

I think Hello Dolly was my first Barbra Streisand movie  (cameo appearances not included) and I'm curious to make this my second. Good choice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

I think Hello Dolly was my first Barbra Streisand movie  (cameo appearances not included) and I'm curious to make this my second. Good choice.

Not Meet The Fockers?

Haha but ya I'm mostly the same. I saw her A Star Is Born and I like her in it, but none of her other classics and I'm looking forward to that

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Not Meet The Fockers?

Haha but ya I'm mostly the same. I saw her A Star Is Born and I like her in it, but none of her other classics and I'm looking forward to that

Now I'm trying to think if I saw that...  if that was the third no. If that was the second... maybe?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Now I'm trying to think if I saw that...  if that was the third no. If that was the second... maybe?

Meet The Fockers is the second one. Little Fockers is the third one.

I'm in the same boat though. I obviously know who Barbra Streisand is, but I've seen very little of her actual work. If we hadn't done Hello, Dolly, I wouldn't understand her appeal at all. I've hated the other stuff I've seen her in. 

• Like 2

Glad to see this is a well-received pick! I mostly only know this because of the individual songs that came out of it (like 'People who need people') and because it was a featured storyline in 'Glee'. It seems like it might be long-ish, but I'm hoping that it's more 'Cabaret' and less 'Gigi'!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Cakebug Tranch said:

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry that my inability to check email last night meant I delayed the pick today. I am never around here anymore but that doesn't mean I don't miss you all, and I am especially appreciative of watching you all generate great work over on Letterboxd. I had a bit of a struggle this week with what I would pick: should I pick the standard HDTGM-worthy thing to make fun of, or something that would pep us up in this difficult time? In the end, I chose the latter, a generally well-received musical based on a Broadway production that launched an international career. What's that you say? "They didn't make a Broadway musical of Across the Universe!"

Yet. They haven't made it yet.

Anyway, I noticed that this movie had been added to Netflix, I had never seen it, but my wife said "oh, I want to see that!", which is as much as to say, I'm picking that, instead of the terrible movie I was going to pick. So, let's all watch the movie version of the Broadway musical that would eventually launch the career of Rachel Berry!

image.png.f42ff9ce53d2cff06225e07f0aadf6b0.png

No one in this thread had reviewed it on Letterboxd yet, so hopefully this is a new experience for many of us! It's nice to be back! I'll try to remember to be around more! (I've said that 3000 times in the last 3 years. Sorry guys.)

Your pick is like buttah!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

You didn't watch A Star is Born when we talked about the new one?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Not Meet The Fockers?

tumblr_n21ivapu3U1qhdvf5o9_250.gifv

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomspanks said:

Your pick is like buttah!

Don't tell Maria Schneider that!

In order to have equality, we'll have to do Yentl sometime since we did The Jazz Singer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cinco DeNio said:

In order to have equality, we'll have to do Yentl sometime since we did The Jazz Singer.

Technically, HDTGM did Jazz Singer, but I’d be down for some Yentl

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

You didn't watch A Star is Born when we talked about the new one?

No I didn't sadly. I was too intimidated by Kris Kristofferson's beard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

No I didn't sadly. I was too intimidated by Kris Kristofferson's beard.

Seconded.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Technically, HDTGM did Jazz Singer, but I’d be down for some Yentl

Thank you.  I thought they had but didn't quite remember.

• Like 1