🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 157 — God Bless America

You love Bobcat Goldthwait for his stand-up comedy, his performance of Zed in Police Academy, and as the director of movies like Shakes the Clown and World's Greatest Dad. You're about to fall in love with him for his showbiz secrets and his prowess at Fart, Marry/Mary, Kiss! Bobscratch shares tales of his red carpet antics and tells us about his brand new film God Bless America. Mr. Goldfarb isn't the only director on the show, as Mr. Marshall (please, call him Garry) returns to the show and gives us a sneak peek on his modern adaptation of a not-so-modern television franchise. These happy days truly are yours and mine!

• Like 1

Oh man, that story early on Scott told about the friend who laughed hard on purpose at Epic Movie...Reminds me of one awkward story:

One time, I was watching some (decent) movie, and some asshole in the front kept laughing way too hard, or during scenes that had no jokes. I was really mad at his behavior until it was over, and as we all funneled into the exit, I discovered it was a mentally disabled young man just legitimately having fun.

He was still an asshole for it, though. Great episode, Bobcat was a great guest and Garry Marshall blanking was fantastic

Gary Marshall thinks Mary Lou Retton is 25? So when she competed in the '84 Olympics, she was -3?

• Like 2

All I knew of Bobscratch Goldfarb was the loud, zany persona from his 80's heyday. I enjoyed his sharp, thoughtful dialogue in this episode. He was really funny but still somewhat contained.

Also love the way PFT works conversational errors right into the character. Such a pro.

• Like 2

That was a really good, interesting interview with Bobcat Goldthwait. Can't wait to see the new movie, the premise sounds awesome. I can't think of any movie from 2009 that I liked more than World's Greatest Dad.

If people want more Garry Marshall, they should definitely pick up PFT's latest DVD, Laboring Under Delusions: http://www.amazon.co...tag=comedybb-20

Garry does the commentary on it, but rather than talk about anything actually happening onscreen, goes off on tangents such as his idea for a romcom featuring Pol Pot, and how to commit the perfect murder. It's brilliant.

The actual DVD is good too.

• Like 2

Bobcat is fantastic. I love his 80s comedy; I love all the movies he's written/directed.

PFT's no slouch either!

I thought Scott handled the Mohr situation well. I liked Bobcat's interview, everything, but that part. No reason to keep dragging out what is a personal issue between those three people. There will be blowback from those few comments (they were brutal), for sure. Not sure CBB needs that sort of problem.

Now I want to hear Ice T talk about how he was inspired by 6-year-old Garry Marshall's crime solving career

• Like 4

Really enjoyed the interview with Bobcat, sometimes when there's a high profile guest the tone of the show gets a bit different, but he made for a really fun and interesting interview and he really got the character part of the show.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the earlier episode where Scott talked about his opinion on critics who attack someone's art out of jealousy?

He mentioned that in this episode and as much as I like Scott, I couldn't help but feel like he sounded like the hip-hop artists who are always talking about the "haters." True, sometimes one may have some unjustified haters who may be hating out of jealousy. But all too often, an artist will put out something that deserves to be criticized and when the reviews aren't in the artist's favor, they cry "haters" or "they're just jealous," when the reality is, people just didn't like the art.

I've never felt that Scott operates in that fashion (but maybe he does) so I would like to hear him speak further on the subject so I can get a better idea of where he's coming from.

@Issac I think what Scott was saying is that when he hates someone, he often finds that the real reason is he's jealous of them. So he's thinking other people are operating that way too.

And I don't think it was on CBB that he talked about it. Some other podcast?

• Like 1

Bobcat is a great story teller. He really shows a lot of dept and experience in interviews (like on WTF), but here he also handles the improvised back and forth with the regulars with expertise.

On the other hand, could PFT take a break and come back when he has a new character?

What podcast was Bobcat referring to regarding the interview where he was being hassled about Mohr?

Love Bobcat so much. He was one of the very first comedic forces I fell for as a kid and it's been fantastico to be able to follow the course of his career so much more easily since the internet was invented.

What podcast was Bobcat referring to regarding the interview where he was being hassled about Mohr?

An episode of Keith and The Girl from back in 2006. Bob's memory is right that the interview went off the rails but it's wrong that the reason for that was that KATG opened by bringing up Mohr. In truth Mohr didn't come up until about two thirds of the way through a fifteen odd minute chat and it was just the kind of personal question KATG always bring up, and one reason why their chats have always been more entertaining than your average interview (kind of like WTF). The real reason that interview went off the rails was Bob being confused by KATG's New York/Israeli aggressiveness and confusing it for them being mad at him.

The thing about the recent tweet was just a case of Bob being accidentally caught in ball-busting crossfire between Keith and a couple of other New York comics (you know how them New Yorkers love to bust balls). I don't think Bob is even on twitter and he certainly wasn't @ed, so it was just unfortunate he came across it Googling himself.

A few weeks behind in my CBB listening, but a couple of thoughts:

1. Why kiss Darryl Hall? Because his kiss is on my list… of the best things in life!

2. This guy wrote the What's Up, Hot Dog?™ Memorial Plugs Theme?!

Up5jz.jpg

Bobcat was so funny and engaged, I really liked that Scott never had to ask "Bob, what do you think about this?" as he has to do with some other guests. Bob was involved, especially with Gary, and seemed to enjoy himself. Good episode!

Sign in to follow this