🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

Episode 243.5 - Prequel to Episode 244

Catching up with Jason, why The Peanut Butter Solution was actually made, and more on this week's mini episode! Paul offers up advice on the Help Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for The Peanut Butter Solution, and catches up with Jason. Plus, we announce our next movie! 

One more comment about the PBS...The Signor was able to get the paintbrush factory up and running so fast because it seems he has done this before.  There is that one corridor in his factory that is completely lined with silver/grey hair.  So I think he must have had someone else in captivity who was also exposed to the Fright/PB-solution (a wife perhaps, yikes!!!) and was using that person’s hair in the manufacture of some sort of insulation paneling.  Maybe he is running both businesses concurrently under some conglomerate name (Signor Industries and Textiles).  Too bad they never made the prequel, sequel, or parallequel. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed Paul and Zouks' chat today. I'm sure Jason will be happy to hear that I finally broke the seal on Detroiters recently and have been laughing my ass off. And Review has been on the list for quite some time. BTW Paul, both are available on the Comedy Central app ... I only mention this because you worried that these two shows have. been lost to time.

However, the CC app does NOT have Stella, which can only be watched on Vimeo. Can't buy it on Amazon Prime, YouTube only has a few clips of the show, and then some of their short pieces and live bits, but the episodes don't seem to exist online anymore. It's one of the best off-shoots of The State -- highly recommended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

BTW Paul, both are available on the Comedy Central appďťż ... I only meďťżntion thďťżis because you worried that these two shows have. been lost tďťżo timďťżeďťż.ďťż

Are they available for free? I think Paul was concerned about Human Giant being lost to time, Jason was concerned that not many people would see those shows because they’re ONLY on the CC app, presumably for paying customers.. And Jason didn’t think the app was popular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

And Review has been on the list for quite somďťże tiďťżmďťżeďťż.ďťż

You're in for a treat. Review is one of the darkest, laugh-out-loud funniest, most sublime shows in existence. Jason is in it a little too (as are a lot of Earwolf favorites). It's unbelievable. I read a thing once about it being the comedic version of like all those anti-hero shows, like Breaking Bad, etc.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Are they available for free? I think Paul was concerned about Human Giant being lost to time, Jason was concerned that not many people would see those shows because they’re ONLY on the CC app, presumably for paying customers.. And Jason didn’t think the app was popular.

No, not for free, unfortunately. You can get it with a cable subscription ID, though, if you have one of those handy.

Dunno if anyone cares but AGENTS OF SHIELD had a “Chopping Mall” homage this week. 

And if anyone is watching ALONE, I think Roland is scary. 

• Like 1

I would highly recommend people check out Pluto TV.  It is a free streaming service that has a bunch of channels running 24/7.  Some channels are devoted strictly to one show.  Like there is a Baywatch channel that shows nothing but episodes of Baywatch and an American Gladiators channel.

But then some channels are devoted to certain existing cable channels.  Like one channel only shows MTV dating shows.  There are multiple Comedy Central channels on the service and I have seen Kroll Show, Detroiters, and @Midnight shown on there.

The app is associated with Paramount/Viacom, which is why cable channels like MTV and Comedy Central are associated with it.  They are constantly adding new channels too.  I heard shows like Survivor and The Amazing Race are getting added next week.

I am a huge game show fan and they have both Buzzr and Game Show Network on there.  I have pretty much only been watching Pluto TV this summer.  They also have an On Demand section if you are looking for something specific.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 7:07 AM, DrGuts1003 said:

I would highly recommend people check out Pluto TV.  It is a free streaming service that has a bunch of channels running 24/7.  Some channels are devoted strictly to one show.  Like there is a Baywatch channel that shows nothing but episodes of Baywatch and an American Gladiators channel.

But then some channels are devoted to certain existing cable channels.  Like one channel only shows MTV dating shows.  There are multiple Comedy Central channels on the service and I have seen Kroll Show, Detroiters, and @Midnight shown on there.

The app is associated with Paramount/Viacom, which is why cable channels like MTV and Comedy Central are associated with it.  They are constantly adding new channels too.  I heard shows like Survivor and The Amazing Race are getting added next week.

I am a huge game show fan and they have both Buzzr and Game Show Network on there.  I have pretty much only been watching Pluto TV this summer.  They also have an On Demand section if you are looking for something specific.

I second this as Pluto has been a godsend for watching shows that don't show up on the big three streaming services for any number of reasons.

Also in regards to the comic discussion Prez is actually a reboot of a series from the 70s that occurs when the minimum age for becoming president is lowered to 18. It is a very campy series and filled with of the times tropes  and hokeyisms. I will say DC's work with cartoon brands like Looney Tunes and Hannah Barbera is fantastic. If you haven't read the DC/Looney Tunes paperback you should as the majority of the stories within a great, especially the Batman/Elmer Fudd. Then you have the Hannah Barbera stuff which has things like a Wacky Racers set in a Mad Max universe, Ruff & Ready set in the dark underbelly of Hollywood and Network TV, and the aforementioned Flinstones, which are a suprising great read especially if you grew up with those cartoons.

I will also recommend books like Crowded which features a world where people can crowd fund assassination contracts against people while those people can use a Uber-like company to hire bodyguards. The main character of this finds herself with one of the largest contracts in history and has to hire a low rated bodyguard who plays by the government regulations, like filing proper paperwork and having the right licenses rather than dropping bodies, to keep her alive while she finds who wants her dead and why.

Another that I have been re-reading in anticipation of its final volume being released in a few weeks is East of West, which is an alternate reality where the US was split into seven kingdoms after the Civil War and members of each kingdom are involved with bringing about the apocalypse according to a doomsday tome known as The Message. In the course of this the Four Horsemen are broken up after Death finds a wife and is preparing to have a child with her, only for the other Horsemen to presumably kill them all in order to keep the doomsday plans on the right track. Obviously things don't work out and Death survives to go on a bloody revenge quest against those who took everything from him or so he thinks. It's a fantastic blend of western, sci-fi, and fantasy and it works in a kind of Game of Thrones way where every kingdom is given depth and time to shine so the reader knows the stakes for everyone as this world steamrolls towards the end of times.

A comic I'd recommend is Marvels. It is the Marvel version of Jason's description of Astro City. It's the rise of Marvel superheroes in the golden age told from the perspective of a journalist. It really blew my mind as a kid (partly because I'd never seen Alex Ross' work before). It will never happen, but I'd like a movie set in the MCU loosely following it.

2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

A comic I'd recommend is Marvels. It is the Marvel version of Jason's description of Astro City. It's the rise of Marvel superheroes in the golden age told from the perspective of a journalist. It really blew my mind as a kid (partly because I'd never seen Alex Ross' work before). It will never happen, but I'd like a movie set in the MCU loosely following it.

Marvels was great, and if you want a kick to the pants read Warren Ellis' Ruins, which is an uber-dark retelling of that story with everything that could go wrong did. Basically the fantastical ways characters gained their powers in the mainstream Marvel universe is treated realistically in this one where characters have deformities or have died from such things as attempted super soldier serums, bites from radioactive animals, or nuclear testing. It's dark as hell but an interesting parody that I am sure inspired recent "real superhero" series like Kick-Ass and The Boys. Also if you ever go to Comic Con in San Diego, there is an art gallery down the street in the Gaslamp District that during that time features Ross' work as well as some other animated or comic work, if I recall the last time was Looney Tunes material. The best thing is not all of it has been featured in comics so they are original works based on comic characters or moments.

This may be the best place to post this instead, but I have a Correction and Omission by way of forgetting. E:54, 1/21/2013, The Odd Life of Timothy Green with Tim Heidecker. The Peanut Butter Solution is brought up, and Paul had not heard of it, and Tim proceeds to tell the basic plot. 

On 7/10/2020 at 4:59 PM, The_Triple_Lindy said:

I enjoyed Paul and Zouks' chat today. I'm sure Jason will be happy to hear that I finally broke the seal on Detroiters recently and have been laughing my ass off. And Review has been on the list for quite some time. BTW Paul, both are available on the Comedy Central app ... I only mention this because you worried that these two shows have. been lost to time.

However, the CC app does NOT have Stella, which can only be watched on Vimeo. Can't buy it on Amazon Prime, YouTube only has a few clips of the show, and then some of their short pieces and live bits, but the episodes don't seem to exist online anymore. It's one of the best off-shoots of The State -- highly recommended.

When I listened to that bit I thought of Stella but even more so a series called Michael and Michael Have Issues, about Mike Showalter and Michael Ian Black as rival comedy writers working on a show about themselves. Dark and hilarious and of course, dicked around by Comedy Central.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

When I listened to that bit I thought of Stella but even more so a series called Michael and Michael Have Issues, about Mike Showalter and Michael Ian Black as rival comedy writers working on a show about themselves. Dark and hilarious and of course, dicked around by Comedy Central.

Another good one.

BTW, the Harley Quinn cartoon that they talk about is really good, too. It's on SyFy, which I don't know if they mention.

Ok so it's been days but I cannot get over g Demi Moore's CURSED bathroom! What . Is. HAPPENING?!   The carpet!!! In a bathroom?!?! That alone is a sin against God and all that is holy and good in this world. But it keeps getting weirder. The very oddly sized looking sofa just... Sitting there? In the middle of the room? The LIFE SIZE JOAN OF ARC STATUE THAT SITS IN THE CORNER OVER THE TUB! I'm sorry I love Joan as much as the next feminist but I don't feel safe with a giant statue staring down at me while I'm naked in the bath! Not only is it creepy I'm now  terrified that it's somehow going to fall into the bathtub on top of me. Because I'm insane. Ditto the chandelier. I've seen Phantom of the Opera. And then there's a creepy you monkey shoved into the rock wall by the toilet and I'm not entirely convinced that it isn't responsible for this cursed nightmare room.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/marissamuller/demi-moore-house-photos-bathroom

If you don't have a statue of Joan Of Arc in your bathroom, you are denying yourself the transcendent pooping experience you deserve in life. 

Adding to the comics reccomendations a little late, but I liked Joe Hill’s Locke & Key graphic novels MUCH more than their WB-ish Netflix adaptation. If you’ve seen the show but not read the books, check them out! Just keep in mind that they’re not suitable for kids (my cousin has a 12-year old who loves the show and I had to warn him about the books).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Adding to the comics reccomendations a little late, but I liked Joe Hill’s Locke & Key graphic novels MUCH more than their WB-ish Netflix adaptation. If you’ve seen the show but not read the books, check them out! Just keep in mind that they’re not suitable for kids (my cousin has a 12-year old who loves the show and I had to warn him about the books).

Yeah while I enjoyed the show, I'm bummed it became a watered down Stranger Things type show, especially given how amazing the book series is as a gothic fantasy horror series. It seems odd that those choices would be made, especially given Joe Hill's involvement in the show's development and that Netflix does have shows that go into what could be deemed R rated content.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RyanSz said:

Yeah while I enjoyed the show, I'm bummed it became a watered down Stranger Things type show, especially given how amazing the book series is as a gothic fantasy horror series. It seems odd that those choices would be made, especially given Joe Hill's involvement in the show's development and that Netflix does have shows that go into what could be deemed R rated content.

Joe Hill (who is one of Stephen King’s sons btw, for the few ppl who might not know) has a whole comics empire going now with an imprint at DC called Hill House. So far I’ve read a miniseries called Basketful of Heads which is darkly funny and an ongoing series called Plunge, drawn by the great Stuart Immonen. It has a real The Terror/ The Thing vibe.

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/hill-house-comics-sampler#.XxBIO54zdnE.link

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Joe Hill (who is one of Stephen King’s sons btw, for the few ppl who might not know) has a whole comics empire going now with an imprint at DC called Hill House. So far I’ve read a miniseries called Basketful of Heads which is darkly funny and an ongoing series called Plunge, drawn by the great Stuart Immonen. It has a real The Terror/ The Thing vibe.

Joe Hill is actually one of my favorite authors, period. Although I grew up on—and still love—Stephen King, Joe Hill has managed to put his own stamp on the horror/dark fantasy genre. His latest collection of short stories—Full Throttle—is great, NOS482 is great (and has another TV show that’s a mixed bag) and his short story “Pop Art” is one of my favorites of all time (and it’s not a horror story). Honestly, his only book that I had mixed feelings about was Strange Weather, but that still had some good stuff in it.

As for Locke & Key, it’s a show that’s had a very troubled production history. Its most recent previous incarnation—which Joe Hill was also hands-on with—was co-created with Scott Derrickson (Sinister, Dr. Strange). They made a pilot for Hulu, Hulu changed management and didn’t pick it up. It was supposed to be good and had an awesome cast. Who knows what it would have been like, but since both creators have horror backgrounds, I like to think it would have been truer to the tone of the the graphic novels. The Netflix version was produced by Carlton Cuse (Lost and the Adventures of Brisco County Jr—where Bruce Campbell played a cowboy—are his most interesting.....Bates Hotel and his involvement in Rampage and San Andreas are less so).

31 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Joe Hill is actually one of my favorite authors, period. Although I grew up on—and still love—Stephen King, Joe Hill has managed to put his own stamp on the horror/dark fantasy genre. His latest collection of short stories—Full Throttle—is great, NOS482 is great (and has another TV show that’s a mixed bag) and his short story “Pop Art” is one of my favorites of all time (and it’s not a horror story). Honestly, his only book that I had mixed feelings about was Strange Weather, but that still had some good stuff in it.

As for Locke & Key, it’s a show that’s had a very troubled production history. Its most recent previous incarnation—which Joe Hill was also hands-on with—was co-created with Scott Derrickson (Sinister, Dr. Strange). They made a pilot for Hulu, Hulu changed management and didn’t pick it up. It was supposed to be good and had an awesome cast. Who knows what it would have been like, but since both creators have horror backgrounds, I like to think it would have been truer to the tone of the the graphic novels. The Netflix version was produced by Carlton Cuse (Lost and the Adventures of Brisco County Jr—where Bruce Campbell played a cowboy—are his most interesting.....Bates Hotel and his involvement in Rampage and San Andreas are less so).

I think Cuse is also the producer of The Last Ship, which, enh. Though it does feel a bit more relevant these days.  Enjoyed Hill’s book The Fireman and have read most of Strange Weather and L&K. He’s a good writer for sure, not being on bags of cocaine during his prime probably helps 😂

edited to add, I think I saw something the other day about Campbell making a new Brisco show? Or film? So that should be fun. I’m pretty tired of Army of Darkness spinoffs, it’s diminishing returns for me at this point.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Yeah Hill has been doing great with comics, The Cape is another that is a very dark take on what if a deadbeat guy gained the ability of a magical cape and what he would do with it against those he felt has wronged him in his life, and then there is The Wraith which is kind of a side story to N0S4A2 and goes into the history of the villain while giving a very interesting story of a group of adults that get pulled into Christmasland.

9 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Locke & Key had a pilot filmed and shown for Fox years ago that was never picked up, I think the budget was claimed to have been too much for the network at that time. It had Nick Stahl, Sarah Bolger, and Jesse McCartney in it and Steven Spielberg was a producer, so there was a definite drive to make this work, especially after they showed it at Comic Con 2011. I'm wondering if they had waited a bit longer for the Hulu attempt if it would have gone through after Hulu has produced amazing series based on King's work with 11/22/63 and Castle Rock. I will say I'm very interested to see what Hill does with the new series he's working on for Locke & Key that is supposed to be a prequel and sequel to the original series and be almost 40 issues.

Another series with dark tones and a bit of humor that I've been reading the hell out of is Outer Darkness by John Layman who wrote the equally fantastic Chew. Outer Darkness is essentially Star Trek with ghosts and exorcists, and where the ships are powered by death gods who require a soul sacrifice in order to emit their power to the ship. It's a dark and action filled series with a decent blend of humor that is Layman is great with.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this