🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Omaxem

Episode 244 - My Demon Lover

16 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

While I’m sure it’s not for everyone, according to their website, The Jane Club provides quite a bit for that $50 price tag—not the least of which is just the opportunity to network with other professionals, which is something you can’t put a price tag on.

It’s not like you’re getting nothing for it, either. It looks like there are daily workouts, meditations, classes, and child care activities. I mean, if the choice is between paying rent, feeding your family, and The Jane Club, then, yeah, I get it. I’d give it a pass. But I don’t think $50 is at all unreasonable for what they’re offering, and it’s not like they can just give it away. 

Sure. And obviously as a 52 year old white Canadian male on the other side of the continent I am not exactly the target market. I can also easily imagine that compared to acting classes or improv companies and various other networking options in LA, the Jane Club is probably a bargain.

5 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

The one line that stands out for me is when Kaz runs to take a cold shower to curb his horniness he complains "Damn New York City pluming, you call this cold water?" Water by nature is cold. When it enters a building it doesn't go through a special cold pipe to get colder, it is already cold. There is nothing pluming could do to make the water colder. Granted Kaz is a homeless mentally ill man who sleeps in garbage and probably hasn't had a shower in many a year. Is it the case that his body is so use to washing or bathing in sinks and from hoses that regular cold water isn't that cold to his body? Also, has the inability to get cold water ever really been a complaint? Has anybody ever jumped in a shower and been like "Hey this is warm, I wanted an ice cold shower because I'm a sociopath."

3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

You’ve clearly never needed to suppress a lust demon. I hope you enjoy the view from your ivory tower.

Speaking as one who lives in the American south, cold showers are a major part of my plan for getting through the next few months. Of course, lots of folks down here are total sociopaths, so ...🤷‍♂️

But if, in that moment, Kaz needs to jump in the shower to suppress a lust demon, might it also be the case that the demon also just wants to take a really cold shower? If I were a demonic incarnation of carnal hunger given corporeal human form and suddenly I discovered what it meant to be cold, I would find that especially gratifying. Perhaps even sexually gratifying, since I am a lust demon and all. 

Kinda like when Dick from 3rd Planet From the Sun took a drag from a cigarette and said he could feel his lungs for the first time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Yeah! Way to call out Cam Bert’s priveledge! But is his ivory tower located in a castle in Central Park? Inquiring minds want to know!

You both assume I want to suppress my lust demon. I let that sucker out.

• Like 5

Okay, since this double posted I need to come up with something...

Did anybody else wonder where the rest of Kaz's wardrobe came from? When they first start dating we see a montage of their activities and then later on he's got new clothes. Are those Chip's old clothes? Did she buy this homeless guy she just met a full wardrobe including a comical bow tie? Was that Chip's bow tie? Even despite this he goes back to a laundered version of this red sports coat and shirt. I get that it's clean now, but you have a bunch of new clothes, why wear those again? No amount of washing is going to get the sleeping in garbage out.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Has anybody ever jumped in a shower and been like "Hey this is warm, I wanted an ice cold shower because I'm a sociopath."

Anything coming out of my tap is basically lava for the next two months, so I would gladly welcome an ice cold shower. 😩

• Like 5

3 hours ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Speaking as one who lives in the American south, cold showers are a major part of my plan for getting through the next few months. Of course, lots of folks down here are total sociopaths, so ...🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, muttnik said:

Anything coming out of my tap is basically lava for the next two months, so I would gladly welcome an ice cold shower. 😩

So what we're saying is that in the hot summer months we're all trying to repress our lust demons?

• Like 4

Genuine question: do y’all think Robert Englund would have been a compelling alternate casting choice for Kaz?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Did anybody else wonder where the rest of Kaz's wardrobe came from? When they first start dating we see a montage of their activities and then later on he's got new clothes. Are those Chip's old clothes? Did she buy this homeless guy she just met a full wardrobe including a comical bow tie? Was that Chip's bow tie? Even despite this he goes back to a laundered version of this red sports coat and shirt. I get that it's clean now, but you have a bunch of new clothes, why wear those again? No amount of washing is going to get the sleeping in garbage out.

Honestly, I wondered this to. My “no-prize” answer was while she was working, he was out busking. Since she was providing room and board, he could spend a bit of cash on new clothes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

I assumed he either stole them or used the stolen American Express/checkbook to buy them. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4

8 hours ago, muttnik said:

I assumed he either stole them or used the stolen American Express/checkbook to buy them. 🤷‍♀️

Shit... I forgot that was a straight up thief as well. Seriously, between the criminal ways, the lust demon, the homelessness and the constant sexualization of women, why are we suppose to like this guy?

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Honestly, I wondered this to. My “no-prize” answer was while she was working, he was out busking. Since she was providing room and board, he could spend a bit of cash on new clothes.

1960s-Marvel-No-Prize.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Shit... I forgot that was a straight up thief as well. Seriously, between the criminal ways, the lust demon, the homelessness and the constant sexualization of women, why are we suppose to like this guy?

Because he's an attractive white guy that's not Chip or a serial mangler, which is all Denny deserves I guess?

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

But none of those character traits are Gus fault, right?

I have to hand it to a Rom-Com that’s willing to play the game on Hard Mode.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

Are you now confusing this movie with Boyfriend School?

And I would say the homelessness can definitely be attributed to him.  There’s nothing about becoming a demon when you’re horny that should prevent you from being able to get a good job and being able to afford a place to live.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrGuts1003 said:

Are you now confusing this movie with Boyfriend School?

And I would say the homelessness can definitely be attributed to him.  There’s nothing about becoming a demon when you’re horny that should prevent you from being able to get a good job and being able to afford a place to live.

Ha! Yes I think I am! Either that, or it's because I started watching Cats last night, and I stopped at "Gus the Theater Cat." Probably a combo of the two :P 

To your other point, Kaz doesn't seem to have much control over his lasciviousness. The demon makes him leer, cat call, and goose women uncontrollably. I don't think there's any way he's going to be hired if he's constantly ogling his co-workers. He has Human Resources Violator written all over him. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, muttnik said:

Because he's an attractive white guy that's not Chip or a serial mangler, which is all Denny deserves I guess?

Given her supposed track record and his history, how long do you give their relationship? I say 72 hours.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

That’s what he claims. We’ll see....(in our imaginations, at least)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Ha! Yes I think I am! Either that, or it's because I started watching Cats last night, and I stopped at "Gus the Theater Cat." Probably a combo of the two :P 

To your other point, Kaz doesn't seem to have much control over his lasciviousness. The demon makes him leer, cat call, and goose women uncontrollably. I don't think there's any way he's going to be hired if he's constantly ogling his co-workers. He has Human Resources Violator written all over him. 

I dunno, this IS an 80s movie. He could have become a wolf of Wall Street and fit right in!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

I think there is one potential serious character flaw with Kaz that is a lot worse than everything else.  How long had he been thinking he might be the Mangler before he declared to Denny that he was going to turn himself in?  The bodies had really been piling up by the time he said that.  I'd say as soon as you have the idea that there is a 50/50 chance that you are a fugue state serial killer go ahead and take some action to get yourself out of the game.  With how fast the Mangler seemed to be going Kaz wouldn't have had long to wait to find out it wasn't him.  I'd call it criminally negligent to bet these women's lives that you aren't the Mangler and stay on the streets.

Speaking of how fast the Mangler was killing women I got the feeling that his murder spree hadn't started all that long before the movie picks up.  But presumably Charles has been a pozatski since he was a teenager like Kaz.  So what was the inciting incident that got the Mangler going?  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Given her supposed track record and his history, how long do you give their relationship? I say 72 hours.

They definitely need a lot of individual and joint therapy and counseling, and even then with work put in, there's still the potential for feelings to fizzle out naturally. It doesn't look good.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ChunkStyle said:

Speaking of how fast the Mangler was killing women I got the feeling that his murder spree hadn't started all that long before the movie picks up.  But presumably Charles has been a pozatski since he was a teenager like Kaz.  So what was the inciting incident that got the Mangler going?  

This is why I didn't by the ruse that Kaz was the killer. Why would he just start killing now despite being a lust demon for a good ten years or so. Seems weird for the character to finally snap this late.

As to why Charles snapped, we don't know how long he'd been a pozatski. He could have met Bibi later in life and she was the one person that understood him and his weird hobbies. Seeing as her grandmother wouldn't let her get close to any boys she got as sexually frustrated as Charles and also developed weird hobbies. He meets her at the bar one night, and surprise she actually is interested. Not only is she interested but they have so much in common. It's a perfect match. Charles is over the moon and sees this as his chance to lose his V card. They go back to her place and start making out but turns out she still lives with her grandma. Charles is cursed and instead of fighting his demon he embraces it and that's why he's go more control over it and why the murders only just started happening.

• Like 3

I was thinking about all the undesirable aspects of the Kaz character and I was curious how this young guy ended up homeless. The more I thought about this all the little throwaway lines of the movie just added up and painted this truly sad and tragic backstory for Kaz that does make him more sympathetic. As the best as I can make it based on what we know (homelessness, demon origin, stolen doctor's stuff, etc.) this is what I imagine Kaz's backstory is.

Kaz met Bibi when he was in his early to mid teens. Due to the follies of youth and not seeing the red flag that is this girl wanting to make out with him for his friends to watch, he fell into her trap which got him cursed by Bibi's Romanian grandmother. Being in his early to mid teens and at the height of puberty and his body changing and hormones rushing he began to turn into the pozatski and odd times and was unaware of what was happening to him. He would wake up in strange locations and have fits at school and home. This odd behaviour caught the attention the teaching staff. When he spoke to the school counselor he told him of foggy memories of being a demon. Not knowing about the curse, they saw this combined with his new erratic behaviour as a sign of mental illness and after talking with his family sought to have Kaz committed to a mental institution. Kaz being of sound albeit cursed mind didn't really fit in at the mental institution. He was counselled by doctors, attended group meetings and was misdiagnosed with a mental illness which they started treating with drugs. This would get him hooked on this drugs which he thought he needed but was just an opioid addiction. Eventually due to the behaviour of his fellow patients and the drugs, kinda like McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (shout out to Unspooled) he became a changed man and actually went a little mad. Around this time is when Ronald Reagan repelled most of the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 which caused mass numbers of institutionalized mental patients, like Kaz, to be released only to end up homeless and on the streets. So now he has a pill addiction, is homeless and believes himself to be crazy. He spends his days unable to get proper treatment for his psychosomatic mental illness, which he now believes his demon state is part of, but to feed his addiction breaks into and robs the homes and offices of doctors so he can get at those sweet prescription pads. It is at this low point, victim of the system and a family and school that didn't know about pozatski's that we meet Kaz.

• Like 5

In one of Chucky’s many calls to Denny’s answering machine, he tries to entice her by saying “I've got great tickets tonight for the command performance for Lady Di and Prince Charles at Carnegie Hall.  It features Sylvester Stallone doing Dickens, Baryshnikov dancing and the twin piano magic, of Ferrante and Teicher“.

This begs the question, what role do you think Stallone was playing?  Scrooge?  Oliver Twist?  David Copperfield thinking he’d be performing magic?

I don’t care how creepy Chucky is, if you’re Denny you can’t pass up going to a show like that, right?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

This is why I didn't by the ruse that Kaz was the killer. Why would he just start killing now despite being a lust demon for a good ten years or so. Seems weird for the character to finally snap this late.

As to why Charles snapped, we don't know how long he'd been a pozatski. He could have met Bibi later in life and she was the one person that understood him and his weird hobbies. Seeing as her grandmother wouldn't let her get close to any boys she got as sexually frustrated as Charles and also developed weird hobbies. He meets her at the bar one night, and surprise she actually is interested. Not only is she interested but they have so much in common. It's a perfect match. Charles is over the moon and sees this as his chance to lose his V card. They go back to her place and start making out but turns out she still lives with her grandma. Charles is cursed and instead of fighting his demon he embraces it and that's why he's go more control over it and why the murders only just started happening.

That’s quite the backstory! 

Careful, you’re dangerously close to making the plot coherent!

• Like 3