đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
CNU2007

Rotten Tomatoes Ranks Their 100 Worst Movies of all Time

It seems to be a pretty solid list, as they mention the film needs 20 certified critic reviews to get on the list so its a bit biased towards more recent films. Many like My Demon Lover for example, only have 3 critic reviews so it isn't eligible. I didn't count how many on here have been done by HDTGM, but there appear to be a few more that I know should be done, or by the descriptions and critic reactions may make very good candidates. 

Any others you can't believe are not on this list?

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/worst-movies-of-all-time/

• Like 1

You're quite right about the bias - someone in the comments on that article gives a long list of candidates that are just as worthy as a lot of the films (One for the Money? Not a great film for sure but one of the 100 worst of all time? I dunno.) Because of the way Rotten Tomatoes works, there's very little here that was made before the year 2000.

Looks like Paul and Amy have their new podcast now that Unspooled has gone through the AFI 100.

• Like 3

Aw, I feel bad, I actually like several of the movies on this list. Some of them I own and watch all the time, for example One For the Money. I know it is trash, but I love it. I like a lot of movies that are considered trash. Don't we all have that one movie that is complete garbage that we like though? Huh? Am I the only one?

56 minutes ago, TheeCupcakeKid said:

Aw, I feel bad, I actually like several of the movies on this list. Some of them I own and watch all the time, for example One For the Money. I know it is trash, but I love it. I like a lot of movies that are considered trash. Don't we all have that one movie that is complete garbage that we like though? Huh? Am I the only one?

I've been watching Road House with my friends at Xmas every year since 1995, so no, you are certainly not the only one.

20 hours ago, TheeCupcakeKid said:

There are a number of HDTGM movies on this list. To me, the only movies that are truly bad are ones that are hateful//hurtful/offensive towards a group of people, or boring. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

There are a number of HDTGM movies on this list. To me, the only movies that are truly bad are ones that are hateful//hurtful/offensive towards a group of people, or boring. 

I am listening to the backlog from the very beginning of HDTGM, and some of it has NoT aged well. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I've been watching Road House with my friends at Xmas every year since 1995, so no, you are certainly not the only one.

Haha, when they did that one I thought, I thought this was a beloved classic?!

On 7/21/2020 at 1:39 PM, theworstbuddhist said:

You're quite right about the bias - someone in the comments on that article gives a long list of candidates that are just as worthy as a lot of the films (One for the Money? Not a great film for sure but one of the 100 worst of all time? I dunno.) Because of the way Rotten Tomatoes works, there's very little here that was made before the year 2000.

It's also important to note that Rotten Tomatoes is not measuring which films people HATED the most, just which films had the highest percentage of critics giving them at least a mildly negative review. Some of these are probably just widely acknowledged as dull or mediocre, not necessarily hated.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheeCupcakeKid said:

I am listening to the backlog from the very beginning of HDTGM, and some of it has NoT aged well. 

Yeah, some of us raised this point in a different thread. A lot of comedies—especially “edgy” ones—rely on gay panic or other problematic issues for laughs. That didn’t really start changing until maybe the last five years, approximately. The same goes for anything that uses “edgy” humor, which includes this podcast. I also have Stitcher and have listened to the back episodes and have thought “oof, that wouldn’t fly today” in parts (since I work in special ed, I remember Jason used to say “retarded” semi-frequently. I would just roll my eyes and acknowledge that it was a different time period).

Having said that, they have changed with the times and a lot of those older episodes are still very funny—you just have to be ready for those moments where the comedy risks being offensive and decide whether or not it’s still worth listening to.

• Like 1

Seen 50 of these but the list really needs to be weighted, as it's only qualifier is 20 reviews, so a movie could have 20 meh reviews and get a worse ranking thank a movie with three times as many bad reviews but had some good ones mixed in. Also noticed a lot of Stephen Dorff on that list, should there be another thing added to the list of "how to know if a movie will be terrible" list that's on this forum?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamS. said:

Yeah, some of us raised this point in a different thread. A lot of comedies—especially “edgy” ones—rely on gay panic or other problematic issues for laughs. That didn’t really start changing until maybe the last five years, approximately. The same goes for anything that uses “edgy” humor, which includes this podcast. I also have Stitcher and have listened to the back episodes and have thought “oof, that wouldn’t fly today” in parts (since I work in special ed, I remember Jason used to say “retarded” semi-frequently. I would just roll my eyes and acknowledge that it was a different time period).

Having said that, they have changed with the times and a lot of those older episodes are still very funny—you just have to be ready for those moments where the comedy risks being offensive and decide whether or not it’s still worth listening to.

One that I hope everyone forgot, and I will not quote involved someone in a mini telling people to go to a particular store and conduct themselves in a particular activity that we have seen less than a year ago. I was like, nooo. 

1 hour ago, TheeCupcakeKid said:

One that I hope everyone forgot, and I will not quote involved someone in a mini telling people to go to a particular store and conduct themselves in a particular activity that we have seen less than a year ago. I was like, nooo. 

Yeah, I haven’t listened to most of the back catalogue of minis. The regular eps themselves took a long time to get through. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Yeah, I haven’t listened to most of the back catalogue of minis. The regular eps themselves took a long time to get through. 

I have skipped around and am caught up to the current pretty good, and then stopped skipping and started at the beginning. I am secretly listening in places where I am extremely stressed and am not allowed to listen, so I listen to all of them. Just keep going. I like seeing how it has evolved too. In the end I do not mind. 

37 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Speaking of the mini, I am really worried about the new dad who Paul did not talk about but responded to in two episodes ago. I am religious, so I do not mean to offend Anyone, but I have been praying for them. I do not have to know the reason. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, joel_rosenbaum said:

Fuck yes, Problem Child is on that list.

See I never understood the hate for that movie outside of some of its campyness. Even watching it years later I can still find it fairly enjoyable, mainly due to John Ritter and the kid having a pretty good report with each other.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:59 PM, RyanSz said:

Seen 50 of these but the list really needs to be weighted, as it's only qualifier is 20 reviews, so a movie could have 20 meh reviews and get a worse ranking thank a movie with three times as many bad reviews but had some good ones mixed in. Also noticed a lot of Stephen Dorff on that list, should there be another thing added to the list of "how to know if a movie will be terrible" list that's on this forum?

Yeah, that first thing is basically why Metacritic has a better system than RT; it also lumps them into a third group of “mixed” reviews, wheras RT only puts them into positive and negative. Unfortunately, MC isn’t nearly as big or established as RT and they also don’t have as many reviews per movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainAmazing said:

Yeah, that first thing is basically why Metacritic has a better system than RT; it also lumps them into a third group of “mixed” reviews, wheras RT only puts them into positive and negative. Unfortunately, MC isn’t nearly as big or established as RT and they also don’t have as many reviews per movie.

I think both systems have their pluses and minuses. Metacritic’s biggest minus is that RT covers a surprising amount of film/TV. While RT might not provide a ton of reviews for a film made in the 1940s–say The Maltese Falcon, for example—it will at least have SOMETHING. Unfortunately for Metacritic, if the film/album/videogame/etc. came out before approx the year 2000, you’ll have a hard time finding it on the site.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 7:30 AM, RyanSz said:

See I never understood the hate for that movie outside of some of its campyness. Even watching it years later I can still find it fairly enjoyable, mainly due to John Ritter and the kid having a pretty good report with each other.

Here is my issue with the movie Problem Child. It is for me and for me due to my love for a friend. I did not like the movie because I could not stand the way the child treated his family. Growing up with a very, very strict household, I found it mean and disrespectful to the point, even as a kid myself, that I got mad. Also, my best friend growing up was adopted. I found out when she came to our school in fourth grade. She told me by letting me read her diary entry about being adopted. I was so honored that she trusted me with this information. Listen, I know I am a weirdo already, and so that sounds dramatic to say I was honored, but I was a very old soul growing up with lots of emotional disorders not usually addressed at those ages. My best friend and her family were foster parents. She could not stand that movie either and would cry over it because she felt it made adopted kids look bad, and that she worried that parents would not want to adopt kids for fear they would have the same thing happen. So, I did not, and do not, like it for that reason. It hurt her, so it hurts me. When I was a senior in high school my mom came to me and said, "I wanted to let you know that __________ is adopted." Now, my friend looks identical to her parents and other family members. I told my mom that I already knew and she asked when I found out. I told her 4th grade, and she asked me why I never told her and I replied, "Because she asked me not to tell anyone." 

Sign in to follow this