đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Smigg.

Episode #245 - Money Plane

Sure, it was thrilling for all of us when Thomas Jane, from the the comfort of Chez Man-Bun, sent in a drone at the last minute to rescue Iggy from the Rumble's thugs, but I just wanted to point out that, according to my research, the average battery life of a drone is only about 7 minutes. Granted, considering their drone seems to be built specifically for goon assassination, I'm guessing they probably have a better than average drone. But even so, a top quality drone only has a range of about 8 miles and a battery life of 31 minutes. This means that that vast expanse Iggy gets exiled to is essentially adjacent to Man-Bun's house. People literally drive farther for a quick Target run. I mean, at that point, he might as well have just set up shop in Man-Bun's backyard. At least that would afford him some privacy and a defensible position. Furthermore, it would mean Iggy would be on hand to protect Man-Bun's family, whom the Rumble has already threatened to kill, and not just count on an unexpected midnight visit from your daughter's drunk ass godfather. 

(Since I just brought it up, I also just wanted to say that one of my favorite scene in the entire movie was when Thomas Jane shows up in the middle of the night, waking Man-Bun up from his nightmare, and they have beer together on the veranda beneath a canopy of twinkling fairy lights. I love the idea of Man-Bun eschewing harsh exterior lighting in favor of creating ambiance.)      

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Since I just brought it up, I also just wanted to say that one of my favorite scene in the entire movie was when Thomas Jane shows up in the middle of the night, waking Man-Bun up from his nightmare, and they have beer together on the veranda beneath a canopy of twinkling fairy lights. I love the idea of Man-Bun eschewing harsh exterior lighting in favor of creating ambiance.)      

Well, you know something, last year, I bought a Philips Amibilight TV, which is a TV that has lights around the outside which matches what goes on on the screen.  And, if you buy the Philips Hue Smart Bridge, you can connect your houselights to it, so it adds to it all.  

So it looks sort of like this:

Since I got that, I'm all about twinkly lights.

That, and I love Christmas

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but a scene I found to be absolutely hilarious was near the end of the film when The Rumble's men were laying siege to Man-Bun's home, and how they all had industrial grade flashlights blazing even though it appeared to be maybe early dusk. I would think any professional killers worth their salt would try to avoid immediately announcing their presence to their targets--especially when all the lights are on in the house suggests that people inside are probably awake.

But what was even crazier, at least to to me, was the reason Thomas Jane was in the kitchen when they arrived was because he was apparently making an elaborate pasta dinner for one? I love to cook, but motherfucker was going to a whole Hell of a lot of effort just to cook a single serving of pasta and a smidgen of marinara. Since you're messing up their kitchen, using their appliances, and eating their food, the least you could do is make enough for Man-Bun's wife and daughter too, asshole.   

• Like 3

Maybe it's just me, but a scene I found to be absolutely hilarious was near the end of the film when The Rumble's men were laying siege to Man-Bun's home, and how they all had industrial grade flashlights blazing even though it appeared to be maybe early dusk. I would think any professional killers worth their salt would try to avoid immediately announcing their presence to their targets--especially when all the lights are on in the house suggesting that people are probably awake inside.

Especially since they were there to kill a woman and a child. (I zoned out a little towards the end, but I don’t think The Rumble was aware of Thomas Jane’s involvement in the heist.)

• Like 2

Just now, Robert Denby said:

Especially since they were there to kill a woman and a child. (I zoned out a little towards the end, but I don’t think The Rumble was aware of Thomas Jane’s involvement in the heist.)

No, Thomas Jane was a complete wild card. He just dropped in uninvited. Man-Bun is constantly talking about how your Plan A is only as good as your Plan B, but homeboy sure did leave the lives of his wife and daughter up to chance, didn't he?  

• Like 1

Maybe it’s just me, but in the last scene of the movie, Denise Richards behaves as if she’s never seen a dog in her life. 

5 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

No, Thomas Jane was a complete wild card. He just dropped in uninvited. Man-Bun is constantly talking about how your Plan A is only as good as your Plan B, but homeboy sure did leave the lives of his wife and daughter up to chance, didn't he?  

Especially since Frazier Rumble told him he’d kill his family if he double-crossed him. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 1:53 PM, ChunkStyle said:

I'm going to add Quiver Distribution to the list of winners during this pandemic along with billionaires and insider-trading senators.  I feel like they took advantage of the absence of movies in the theater to pretend like this would have been theatrically released.  Even before HDTGM covered it I was aware of its existence but that should never have been the case for a movie like this that should have gone straight to the $3 DVD rack at a gas station.

When you consider that this movie was made under social distancing guidelines, it makes sense that there are only 15 people in the cast. 

23 hours ago, nthurkettle said:

Hang on - I ALWAYS peel the entire banana. How else are you going to examine it for gross, bruisy, mushy bits before you eat it? You're just taking bites of your banana BLIND?!? WOW you people live on the edge.

So, when you peel an entire banana and find a bad spot, what do you do then -- throw the whole thing away? Because you can discover bad bits while peeling slowly as you go. 

I hope you at least make a mean pudding.

• Like 3

So, no one is going to mention how Bella Voltiac pulls a Derringer out of her vagina when going through the metal detector?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

So, no one is going to mention how Bella Voltiac pulls a Derringer out of her vagina when going through the metal detector?

We were waiting for you to cover it -- ;) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Again, another indication of bad planning. She either didn’t know there would be metal detectors (bad), or she just liked having a gun in her vag (gross).

• Like 1

There's no denying that it was super noble of Team Man-Bun to donate the money from heist to numerous charities around the world, but it might have been nice if they had at least run that decision past Iggy before tossing his share out the window. But for the grace of Thomas Jane, that dude would have been dead. I would imagine that he might have liked to keep a hundo or two of that cash for his trouble.  

• Like 1

You know something, the more I think about it, the more I think Kelsey Grammer being "The Rumble" is a poorly researched reference.

Because Kelsey Grammer was Frasier, I think the writer called him "The Rumble" because of "The Rumble in the Jungle", thinking it was Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier, which was "The Thriller in Manila", and not Ali vs. George Foreman.

Although, if that was the case,I don't want to live in a world where Kelsey Grammer calls himself "The Thriller".

Finished the movie and listened to some of the podcast. I too had a hard time following why Grouch set them up on the first heist just to get them to do a bigger heist. I mean, I understand it puts them in a position to not screw up again and this raise the stakes, but it wasn’t done well. 

A simpler early twist would be that they stole the art piece, got intercepted by another team, and that teams leader took it on the money plane to sell. To make it interesting, the piece of art to be stolen has a a code encrypted into it that is worth a lot, money, information, what ever.  Grouch could then fully place blame on them for fucking up and give them one more chance to fix it, but also requires them to rob the plane while they are there because of the reasons given in the movie. At this point we should see Man Bun feel some hesitation about going into to the plane  

The rest can be more or less the same. Like, Harry does some research and figures out Grouch set up the the double cross because he has a vested interest in bringing down the plane, and for what ever reason Man Buns team is better equipped to do.

We can learn at some point that Man Bun has a history with the plane or is worried he will bump into someone he’s wronged before that frequents the plane. There has to be a reason why this wasn’t his first and only assignment given to him by Grouch, if we are going to keep in Grouch fucking him over as a plot.  Personally, I think it just complicates it and should be done away with. 

Instead, I’d go Witt Harry does some research and figures out that Grouch plans on killing them and their family whether they are successful or not. Bam! Grouch still gets taken down at end. 

anyway, this was a bad movie that turned into a so bad it’s good movie  worth 5 bucks  

Is nobody going to mention the fact that a crime boss blowing somebody's brains onto a canvas is a gag straight from the movie Macgruber?

• Like 3

Just now, Cam Bert said:

Is nobody going to mention the fact that a crime boss blowing somebody's brains onto a canvas is a gag straight from the movie Macgruber?

Do you think a bullet hole in the canvas would increase or decrease the value of the blood splatter?

• Like 2

Just now, Cameron H. said:

Do you think a bullet hole in the canvas would increase or decrease the value of the blood splatter?

I mean that's where the artistry comes in. To shoot them in the head to splatter on the canvas and not ruin it with a bullet hole. That's what separates the Picassos from my three year old nephews.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

Depends on how you sell it to a potential buyer, it's all about the story of the piece and how it's told.

Explanation:

So if I'm going to guess why Rumble set them up in the first place in order to "hire" them for the Money Plane job was to see if they could pull it off in the first place.  All he really knows about the team is that Edge is up past his eyeballs in debt to various criminals which is why he's still doing these risky jobs, which continues to show his reckless nature which isn't good for a mega heist. So Rumble hires them to steal a painting that he already owns in order to see how they work on their toes when numerous wrenches are thrown into the plan, which is further noted by Edge saying that there are now numerous armed guards and new security systems from when they cased the joint a few days earlier. So once Rumble sees that they can handle themselves on the fly, he comes off looking like a semi-gracious benefactor there to get their butts out of the fire, and they are more willing to do this even riskier job for him. If they had been killed/arrested, then he's only out so much of what he paid to buy their debt, which is nothing compared to if he gets a team that can get him the billion in crypto on the Money Plane. He doesn't plan on them finding out he already owns the painting, mainly because he doesn't know about Tom Jane which is ultimately what screws him up.

Also, for the two Russian guys who were drinking before one took an axe to the other. What I was able to gleam from watching it was the criminals were betting on how much it would take for one guy to use the axe on the other. That's why the female assistant to the bookkeeper was raising the amount of rubles higher and higher until it was something like 200k. Once the axe is used the guy looks up at the camera and takes another swig of vodka, so it's clear that they have a intercom or something in the room giving them the offer and they are giving themselves either liquid courage or trying to pass out so they don't use the axe on one another. The Asian crime boss then says something to the tech guy along the line of she used to cut peoples' arms off with an axe for free.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

8 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

I mean that's where the artistry comes in. To shoot them in the head to splatter on the canvas and not ruin it with a bullet hole. That's what separates the Picassos from my three year old nephews.

Or it could be like that Banksy painting that was set up to shred once it was bought. The damage actually increases the value.

• Like 2

I want to question how truly kindhearted this group of Robin Hood like thieves actually is.

So they take the cryptocurrency and redistribute that to charities around the world. That's good. That's noble. However this leaves them with millions in cash laying around. Do they take that and personally donate it to some charities or children's hospitals? Nope instead they decide to "spread the wealth" by just letting it fall out of the airplane's open door. How is this helping anybody? They have no idea where this money could land. If they're flying over forest, mountains or sea that money will be ruined or chances are never found. Who's to say that the people that find this money will be good people either? Did none of them see A Simple Plan? It could cause chaos and violence. Also they chuck out a bound block of cash. That block will reach terminal velocity soon and come crashing down and could ruin a car, house or even take a life. You've just wasted lots of money that could have helped people, so how "good" of "good guy" thieves are you?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

I want to question how truly kindhearted this group of Robin Hood like thieves actually is.

So they take the cryptocurrency and redistribute that to charities around the world. That's good. That's noble. However this leaves them with millions in cash laying around. Do they take that and personally donate it to some charities or children's hospitals? Nope instead they decide to "spread the wealth" by just letting it fall out of the airplane's open door. How is this helping anybody? They have no idea where this money could land. If they're flying over forest, mountains or sea that money will be ruined or chances are never found. Who's to say that the people that find this money will be good people either? Did none of them see A Simple Plan? It could cause chaos and violence. Also they chuck out a bound block of cash. That block will reach terminal velocity soon and come crashing down and could ruin a car, house or even take a life. You've just wasted lots of money that could have helped people, so how "good" of "good guy" thieves are you?

So, there's that scene where Edge-Bun is reading to his daughter, who asks if it's okay to steal from bad people and says she's going to steal another girl's candy. To which Edge-Bun replies "but if you ate it all yourself, you'd get sick, so it's better to share it." And that's supposed to be what makes him moral.

But a more accurate analogy for what he actually ends up doing would've been "so it's better to steal the candy and then flush it down the toilet." Which would make him ... I dunno, the Joker?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

So, there's that scene where Edge-Bun is reading to his daughter, who asks if it's okay to steal from bad people and says she's going to steal another girl's candy. To which Edge-Bun replies "but if you ate it all yourself, you'd get sick, so it's better to share it." And that's supposed to be what makes him moral.

But a more accurate analogy for what he actually ends up doing would've been "so it's better to steal the candy and then flush it down the toilet." Which would make him ... I dunno, the Joker?

Some men just want to see the world burn...

OMG! I just realized something. Right after they double cross The Rumble and redistribute the funds Edge claims that this is the first time they've ever done anything like this before. Does that mean he was inspired by reading Robin Hood to his daughter to finally do the right thing? His analogy is shitty because he never really thought about it before. Him and his crew were killing people, stealing things, working for mob bosses, but this was okay because they were covering their debts and the people they killed were bad. That was his understanding of things, so when he explained to his daughter it was from his weird POV of his life to that point. Then piloting that plane and thinking over the story he had just read his daughter he was like "Wait a minute, the merry men never take the money for themselves.... they give it to the poor... hmmm..." and this inspires them to finally do the right thing.

I wonder what would have happened if he had been reading his daughter a different night time story.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Some men just want to see the world burn...

OMG! I just realized something. Right after they double cross The Rumble and redistribute the funds Edge claims that this is the first time they've ever done anything like this before. Does that mean he was inspired by reading Robin Hood to his daughter to finally do the right thing? His analogy is shitty because he never really thought about it before. Him and his crew were killing people, stealing things, working for mob bosses, but this was okay because they were covering their debts and the people they killed were bad. That was his understanding of things, so when he explained to his daughter it was from his weird POV of his life to that point. Then piloting that plane and thinking over the story he had just read his daughter he was like "Wait a minute, the merry men never take the money for themselves.... they give it to the poor... hmmm..." and this inspires them to finally do the right thing.

I wonder what would have happened if he had been reading his daughter a different night time story.

If it had been Rikki Tikki Tavi he would have been like, “Let me at them cobras!”

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Or it could be like that Banksy painting that was set up to shred once it was bought. The damage actually increases the value.

I wonder if the caliber of bullet matters. Is a higher caliber more dramatic or would that be gauche?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

I wonder if the caliber of bullet matters. Is a higher caliber more dramatic or would that be gauche?

Too small and it becomes like where's waldo trying to find it and too high and it's gauche.

• Like 2