🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DrGuts1003

Episode 245.5 - Prequel to Episode 246

An interview with the director of Money Plane, what does June do for fun, and more on this week’s episode.  Paul offers up advice on the Help Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Money Plane, and Blake J. Harris interviews Andrew Lawrence (director of Money Plane).  Plus, we announce our next movie.

Believe or not, it’s finally happening...next week’s movie is 

Spoiler

Swordfish!!!

Just a slight correction/addendum to what Paul said in the mini.  This movie is currently streaming on Netflix.  If you watch it on Amazon Prime, you will have to rent or buy it.

• Like 2
  • Hedgehog 1

I don't care what Andrew Lawrence says...there's no way that's a tracker. That makes absolutely no sense. It HAS to a bug! HOW else is he recording The Rumble? Why would you ever need to track a house? 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I don't care what Andrew Lawrence says...there's no way that's a tracker. That makes absolutely no sense. It HAS to a bug! HOW else is he recording The Rumble? Why would you ever need to track a house? 

I think it is a hacking device.  Wasn’t the device originally used to put a false video image of the museum room where the painting was supposed to be on the monitor to deceive Manbun’s crew?  They thought they were looking at a live feed of the museum when they weren’t?

If Manbun had used the same device for some video trickery on The Rumble, that would have made sense.  But that’s not how things were presented.  As it is, I’m still not sure what purpose that device served to double cross Grouch.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DrGuts1003 said:

I think it is a hacking device.  Wasn’t the device originally used to put a false video image of the museum room where the painting was supposed to be on the monitor to deceive Manbun’s crew?  They thought they were looking at a live feed of the museum when they weren’t?

If Manbun had used the same device for some video trickery on The Rumble, that would have made sense.  But that’s not how things were presented.  As it is, I’m still not sure what purpose that device served to double cross Grouch.

You’re probably right, and that would have made more sense. I guess it could be “tracking” in the sense that they’re monitoring his data—for some unspecified reason.

It just seems like a bug as they end up playing back Grouch’s words on the Money Plane, and Grouch discovers it (if I’m recalling correctly) at that moment. The two things seem to be connected.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

You’re probably right, and that would have made more sense. I guess it could be “tracking” in the sense that they’re monitoring his data—for some unspecified reason.

It just seems like a bug as they end up playing back Grouch’s words on the Money Plane, and Grouch discovers it (if I’m recalling correctly) at that moment. They two things seem to be connected.

Lawrence also said there was supposed to be a lot more about the device but, you know, had to make some hard cuts for time. What might have been!

• Like 2

I also like how A-Law is all like "Nah, I didn't really care about Money Plane. It's not like it was this big idea of mine that I would think about at night and have visualized in my dreams since I was a wee tyke. It was just this thing, this goof, this throw-away idea that I didn't really care about" -- as he no doubt held back tears as everyone took the piss out of his passion project.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

I also like how A-Law is all like "Nah, I didn't really care about Money Plane. It's not like it was this big idea of mine that I would think about at night and have visualized in my dreams since I was a wee tyke. It was just this thing, this goof, this throw-away idea that I didn't really care about" -- as he no doubt held back tears as everyone took the piss out of his passion project.

Honestly, there are probably some directors out there making purposefully bad or inept movies in the hopes of getting the attention of a podcast like HDTGM and gathering a cult following, or even the kind of streaming bump that being on the podcast would have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Honestly, there are probably some directors out there making purposefully bad or inept movies in the hopes of getting the attention of a podcast like HDTGM and gathering a cult following, or even the kind of streaming bump that being on the podcast would have.

I don't know that the intention is ever to make a bad movie, as I honestly think that would be a waste of everybody's time. However, I think there is maybe an idea of not caring all that much if it's any good -- if such a distinction can be made. For me, I'm on Andrew Lawrence's side here. I think he was trying to make the best movie he could given the resources afforded him. Ultimately, he made a movie and you can't beat that experience. Even if the finished product wasn't particularly good, he can still spin that in his favor. ("Yeah, but I can do it. Plus, I made it quickly with a nothing budget. Think of what I could do with more.")

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

("Yeah, but I can do it. Plus, I made it quickly with a nothing budget. Think of what I could do with more.")

"I might have been able to build a drone with an Uzi attached. And I could've hired a costume designer who knows how to sew buttons straight on a flight attendant outfit."

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I don't know that the intention is ever to make a bad movie, as I honestly think that would be a waste of everybody's time. However, I think there is maybe an idea of not caring all that much if it's any good -- if such a distinction can be made. For me, I'm on Andrew Lawrence's side here. I think he was trying to make the best movie he could given the resources afforded him. Ultimately, he made a movie and you can't beat that experience. Even if the finished product wasn't particularly good, he can still spin that in his favor. ("Yeah, but I can do it. Plus, I made it quickly with a nothing budget. Think of what I could do with more.")

I was doing some catch up on the Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs and the movie he was covering that episode was One Cut of the Dead, which is a fantastic subversion of zombie movies, and he gave this speech about the term "aspiring film maker" and why that or film school should not exclude anyone from wanting to make a movie or their passion project. It was a fantastic speech that really should be watched by anyone who ever thought of making a film.

• Like 1

Technically, you can start a fire with just one flint, if that flint is rubbing up against steel. #JustBoyScoutThings

• Like 1

Rewatching the movie and forgot how eurotrash the fashion and music was in this movie. I also have a lot to say about the bomb vests the hostages were wearing as they were way more than equivalent to a Claymore mine.