🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 99 Preview (JammerLea's Pick)

I'm so excited I'm coming out of my shell.

0uPB_U.gif

• Like 4

On a separate note, I am always amazed at the variety of movies people are watching on Letterboxd.  I am seeing movies I've never heard of plus ones that sound intriguing.  Well done everyone!

• Like 4

On a separate separate note, I would like to ask people's views on soundtracks.  One reason the movie 1776 works is the cast had already performed the roles for several years and had time to explore.  Supposedly William Daniels (as John Adams) was quite bombastic early in the stage run.  As time went on he was able to find the humanity and subtlety.  Yet listening to the Broadway soundtrack (I admit I haven't), created early in the run, those qualities wouldn't necessarily come through.

I think it's the same with Hamilton.  I received the CD soundtrack for my birthday a few weeks ago (a present from my cats) and have been interested in the differences with the Disney+ movie.  I would love to buy a soundtrack made from the movie.  Thoughts?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

On a separate separate note, I would like to ask people's views on soundtracks.  One reason the movie 1776 works is the cast had already performed the roles for several years and had time to explore.  Supposedly William Daniels (as John Adams) was quite bombastic early in the stage run.  As time went on he was able to find the humanity and subtlety.  Yet listening to the soundtrack (I admit I haven't) those qualities wouldn't necessarily come through.

I think it's the same with Hamilton.  I received the CD soundtrack for my birthday a few weeks ago (a present from my cats) and have been interested in the differences with the Disney+ movie.  I would love to buy a soundtrack made from the movie.  Thoughts?

I like soundtracks, but I get what you're saying. I find the 1776 one a bit disappointing because it's Franklin's understudy. I love the Hamilton soundtrack, but now that I've seen the show, I do see where some of the performance gets lost. 

• Like 3

Ahahaha! All the ninja turtles gifs! You know me well!

clickityclack.gif.4023c31524e58ffdf89b3cd762cb8ca7.gif

I hope you all have been well during this time. I had a bit of a rough week last week, so hopefully this week will be better and perfect for watching a musical.

After doing extensive research by asking my roommate for ideas I have decided to go with a classic!

Spoiler

littleshopofhorrors.jpg.fb6a73493f9bd412569bc95ea4fc9afe.jpg

I have not seen this film in a good while, so it should be fun to revisit. If you want some real torture though, I guess you could watch the original Roger Corman version, but it's not a musical.

• Like 6

Just now, JammerLea said:

I hope you all have been well during this time. I had a bit of a rough week last week, so hopefully this week will be better and perfect for watching a musical.

After doing extensive research by asking my roommate for ideas I have decided to go with a classic!

Hide contents

I have not seen this film in a good while, so it should be fun to revisit. If you want some real torture though, I guess you could watch the original Roger Corman version, but it's not a musical.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

1960 version is on Amazon Prime

1986 version is on HBO (and Pluto TV with ads)

• Like 3

GUYS I am so upset that I missed The Monkees movie Head! That had been on my list of possible musicals from the start! Ugh! 😂

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JammerLea said:

Hide contents

Fantastic pick! Rick Moranis is my favorite! ❤️ 

To go off of what @Cinco DeNio was asking earlier, I actually have two copies of this Soundtrack — the movie soundtrack and the original broadway recording. They are both very good, but I think I like the scaled back movie soundtrack maybe a liiiiiitle bit more.

• Like 3

After all of these Turtles gifs, I’m really tempted to make Coming Out of Their Shells my next pick...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

After all of these Turtles gifs, I’m really tempted to make Coming Out of Their Shells my next pick...

thenpizza.GIF

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

TinyQuarterlyAsianpiedstarling-size_rest

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JammerLea said:

thenpizza.GIF

I saw the whole thing was on YouTube and was going to paste it here for fun, but then I was like, “Hang on a sec...” lol

• Like 3

With all these TMNT gifs I'm shocked that nobody has posted that one of the one time they bit into a manhole cover because they thought it was a pizza and broke their teeth.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JammerLea said:

Hide contents

Yeah, I almost switched from Stop Making Sense to this because I realized we hadn't done it yet.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

On a separate separate note, I would like to ask people's views on soundtracks.  One reason the movie 1776 works is the cast had already performed the roles for several years and had time to explore.  Supposedly William Daniels (as John Adams) was quite bombastic early in the stage run.  As time went on he was able to find the humanity and subtlety.  Yet listening to the Broadway soundtrack (I admit I haven't), created early in the run, those qualities wouldn't necessarily come through.

I'm off two mind on it. When I did theater back in the day often they would suggest that we get the soundtrack and listen to it to get the songs down. However I found that you get so use to that version that when the movie or production does something different, or if they did something different, it throws everything off for you because you are so set on that one version being the right version. Like if you were to listen to the Hamilton soundtrack a million times and then when you go see the touring company it just seems off because you are wanting that certain thing that the soundtrack had. That said, if you are able to separate the things in your mind than I have no problem with soundtracks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JammerLea said:

Reveal hidden contents

Excellent choice. I look forward to revisiting this.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

I'm off two mind on it. When I did theater back in the day often they would suggest that we get the soundtrack and listen to it to get the songs down. However I found that you get so use to that version that when the movie or production does something different, or if they did something different, it throws everything off for you because you are so set on that one version being the right version. Like if you were to listen to the Hamilton soundtrack a million times and then when you go see the touring company it just seems off because you are wanting that certain thing that the soundtrack had. That said, if you are able to separate the things in your mind than I have no problem with soundtracks.

Hamilton is the only musical I knew really well before seeing it live. I found listening to it in advance was very helpful to be honest. I wouldn't have picked up on the nuances of the story seeing it cold. I personally wasn't put off from the differences because I was experiencing the visuals the first time and focused on that.

I did record the audio of performance I saw (because I'm a gangster and you can't stop me). The live version was very very similar though when I listened to it my recording. Maybe they were purposefully similar because Hamilton was still in BROADWAY! SMASH! HAMILTON! zone and they knew that's what people wanted (Chicago was the first city to get it outside New York).

• Like 2

I just discovered this video.  Why did we not discuss this during Mamma Mia! week?!?

• Like 1