đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Cameron H.

Episode 247 - 2:22 (Live in Portland)

Since the film took place over 4-5 days, why did Daario have to write the repeating pattern on everything he could get his hands on? He wrote it on a notepad, then transferred it to the windows in his apartment. I was waiting for the string board to be next. No work and all conspiracy make Daario a crazy boy.

• Like 6

At the very end of the movie, which takes place 10 months to a year later, Dylan checks his watch and says out loud, ’11 o’clock…no plane”.   So we can assume that every single day for the past year he checks for the occurrence of each premonition from the Grand Central Station incident.   I’d love to see a bunch of shots of Sarah showering or trying to get some work done, etc and Dylan popping in to say “Hey Honey,  9:15 and no drip!”,   or 

Dylan:  “Hear that, Sarah’.
Sarah:  ”What, I don’t hear anything”
Dylan:  “Exactly!  No tires screeching!”
Sarah:  [Rolls her eyes and shakes her head]

In the end, it seems that the whole first part of the movie *is* about a man suffering from mental illness and the last scene shows how Dylan is now coping with his issues using medication and some kind of affirmation therapy…’11:00…no plane”

• Like 8

3 hours ago, The_Other_MikeD said:

Since the film took place over 4-5 days, why did Daario have to write the repeating pattern on everything he could get his hands on? He wrote it on a notepad, then transferred it to the windows in his apartment. I was waiting for the string board to be next. No work and all conspiracy make Daario a crazy boy.

That reminds me:

When Dylan decides to start writing everything down, the first thing he grabs is a roll of paper (wax paper? shelving paper?) from what looks like a kitchen drawer. Among the items in the drawer is a random piece of oddly folded aluminum foil ...

1569765122_ScreenShot2020-08-29at5_19_27PM.jpg.be98ea68998be990c7487dcceea492fd.jpg

... and is that a hat? Is that a tinfoil hat? Is there any other plausible explanation for pre-worn, previously-crinkled tinfoil kept in a drawer like that? And if he's the kind of person who is prone to tinfoil-wearing to keep the satellites from reading his thoughts or whatever, then is this movie telling us upfront that Dylan's about to go totally off the deep end? That would call into question his entire reliability as a narrator and, I daresay, tosses the ending of this movie into Jacob's Ladder territory.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

That reminds me:

When Dylan decides to start writing everything down, the first thing he grabs is a roll of paper (wax paper? shelving paper?) from what looks like a kitchen drawer. Among the items in the drawer is a random piece of oddly folded aluminum foil ...

1569765122_ScreenShot2020-08-29at5_19_27PM.jpg.be98ea68998be990c7487dcceea492fd.jpg

... and is that a hat? Is that a tinfoil hat? Is there any other plausible explanation for pre-worn, previously-crinkled tinfoil kept in a drawer like that? And if he's the kind of person who is prone to tinfoil-wearing to keep the satellites from reading his thoughts or whatever, then is this movie telling us upfront that Dylan's about to go totally off the deep end? That would call into question his entire reliability as a narrator and, I daresay, tosses the ending of this movie into Jacob's Ladder territory.

I'm told that could be his "stash" by reliable sources.

And the first thing he pulled out of his hipster drawer was parchment paper. You know the first thing you grab to write down something important. This would explain why the windows were written on like a scene out of Numb3rs.

• Like 3

On 8/28/2020 at 8:54 AM, jimkiler said:

Did anyone else notice when Dylan first walks up to Sarah in the bar, she asks if he wants to get out of here.  He says yes.  Cut scene to a bar.  But weren't they just at a bar?  If I say i want to get out of here it is because i need a change of scenery but they simply switched bars.   Maybe the first place was a restaurant but it definitely had a full bar and therefore i was confounded on their choice. I was expecting them to go to a park or someones apartment, not another bar.

Second did anyone else notice that the police did not give a f*** about Dylan when he was dying on the floor of Grand Central Station.  Only two cops were shown hovering over Jonas but they were no longer securing the scene, they instead appeared to be talking oblivious to the dying person.  Does this mean the final scene of Dylan as a pilot never happened because Dylan bleed out ( not from a gun shot wound but) from the apathy of first responders.

He’s bleeding on the ground - should be dead (as we know from history AND THE GIANT GUNSHOT WOUND TO THE GUT). The cops are wandering around the dead dude that they shot!

• Like 1

Omission: 

As Jason points out, Dylan works out on gymnastics rings as if he’s training for the olympics. I think we can assume they didn’t come standard with the $20k apartment, which means he hung them himself. He uses them every day, and seems to have a pretty strenuous routine. This can’t possibly be the first time a strap has broken - evidenced further by his comfortability in the repair process. So are we to believe that in all those times of climbing the rafters he never noticed the Jake Redmond satchel?

Furthermore - why would Jake Redmond have had this hidden? It was his apartment - where he lived alone. I can imagine his lady friend having HER letters hidden, but this makes no sense. 

• Like 7

On 8/28/2020 at 11:54 AM, jimkiler said:

Did anyone else notice when Dylan first walks up to Sarah in the bar, she asks if he wants to get out of here.  He says yes.  Cut scene to a bar.  But weren't they just at a bar?  If I say i want to get out of here it is because i need a change of scenery but they simply switched bars.   Maybe the first place was a restaurant but it definitely had a full bar and therefore i was confounded on their choice. I was expecting them to go to a park or someones apartment, not another bar.

Not just any bar, either. A danker more crowded bar.

• Like 4

I find it highly unlikely that an aviophobic air traffic controller (and expectant father), who was once under review for nearly causing a deadly collision, would have the means and the time to accrue the prerequisite hours of flight time required to become a commercial pilot in just under a year. According to Dr Google, he would have to put in AT LEAST 1500 hours just to be considered  (which works out to just under 38 weeks) -- and that's assuming he can afford to rent and fuel a plane for 8 hours a day, five days a week. This isn’t even take into account for training time lost due to convalesce after a grievous gun shot wound to the kidney.

I mean, there's a reason why people don't just decide to become a pilot on whim.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I find it highly unlikely that an aviophobic air traffic controller (and expectant father), who was once under review for nearly causing a deadly collision, would have the means and the time to accrue the prerequisite hours of flight time required to become a commercial pilot in just under a year. According to Dr Google, he would have to put in AT LEAST 1500 hours just to be considered  (which works out to just under 38 weeks) -- and that's assuming he can afford to rent and fuel a plane for 8 hours a day, five days a week. This isn’t even take into account for training time lost due to convalesce after a grievous gun shot wound to the kidney.

I mean, there's a reason why people don't just decide to become a pilot on whim.

The woman who conducts his review and suspends him says that he's already gotten his pilot's license. Clearly he had to be able to fly at some point. I know there are different types of pilot licenses, but how long would it take between license and employment?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

The woman who conducts his review and suspends him says that he's already gotten his pilot's license. Clearly he had to be able to fly at some point. I know there are different types of pilot licenses, but how long would it take between license and employment?

That makes absolutely no sense! That means he spent 1500 hours flying a plane and then all of the sudden developed a phobia? 

I have a feeling the movie thinks getting your pilot’s license is just a written exam. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

That makes absolutely no sense! That means he spent 1500 hours flying a plane and then all of the sudden developed a phobia? 

I have a feeling the movie thinks getting your pilot’s license is just a written exam. 

Or that maybe you can get one through a flight simulator? I don't know. It's almost as if the logic of 2:22 is flawed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Or that maybe you can get one through a flight simulator? I don't know. It's almost as if the logic of 2:22 is flawed.

I think you can practice via simulator, but I very much doubt that could be used as a substitute for actual flight time.

Just getting flight time is difficult and expensive. A former manager of mine was a pilot, and he told me that the only reason he wasn’t a commercial pilot was because he couldn’t afford to get the hours. He explained that that’s why many pilots are former military. It’s a cheap way to rack up a lot of flight time.

If I recall correctly, you also have to be licensed for specific craft. That is to say, flying a Cessna is different than flying a 747 and they require different certifications. 

Ultimately, I have to agree. I think the movie might have been talking out of its ass.

• Like 4

On 8/28/2020 at 2:26 PM, DrGuts1003 said:

3. Dylan ended every text message with "D."  You are not sending letters or even email, you do not need to indicate who you are in every text message.  What an unnecessary waste of time.

I think that signing it “D” is even funnier than “Dylan” because I would immediately think he was talking about his dick. Or maybe quoting his dick in the text?

• Like 5

Wasn’t Sadie aka “I’m Jason”’ (audience questions) incorrect about it being episode 222? Wasn’t it not even close? If true, hilarious since June kept saying “I don’t trust her.” Haha, Jason fangirl bit was super cringe.

RE: Pilot certifications and aircraft. I was about to begin a commercial pilot training program before the pandemic hit. So, I went deep into all the reqs and based on what I already know, there’s no way that guy is flying for Southwest like under a year later based on the fact alone that you need to log 1,500 hours with students as a certified flight instructor to be eligible to fly a commercial passenger plan (it doesn’t need to be with students, but that’s the only way someone other than a very wealthy person is going to be able to get 1,500 hours flying). And before you can be a certified flight instructor (CFI), you’ll be spending 7 months minimum getting your commercial pilot license (seven months in the shortest CPL program I’ve ever seen listed).

And, of course, you’ll need to get added training time on whatever specific type of commercial plane you’re going to fly. You can’t just jump in a passenger plane because you have gotten a commercial pilot license.bEven a highly favored Southwest cadet (cadets are pilots in training that are part of a commercial airline’s training program) couldn’t do it that fast. Cadet spots are coveted and typically go to young folks since they want to get the maximum career mileage out of you to justify their expenses. Plus, forget being a commercial pilot if there’s anything in your medical, legal or discoverable history that establishes drug use, alcohol abuse or psychiatric issues. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nick T. said:

Wasn’t Sadie aka “I’m Jason”’ (audience questions) incorrect about it being episode 222? Wasn’t it not even close? If true, hilarious since June kept saying “I don’t trust her.” Haha, Jason fangirl bit was super cringe.

I would have to relisten to confirm, but I think she was saying that the most recent episode at the time of recording was Ep 222 (Unforgettable) not that 2:22 was the 222 ep. 

• Like 3

At the start of the episode Tall John made an off hand remark about how being an air traffic controllers wasn't a high end job. While that could be the case for smaller airports, Dylan was working at JFK Airport in New York where an entry level position is roughly $72,000 a year position. Let's assume that the woman was an entry level position because she only got to put labels on bars, while Dylan talked to planes and saw imaginary lines. A mid-level air traffic controller earns up to $135,000 a year. If he's a more senior one that can go up to $174,000 a year. Clearly that dashing older gentleman was the boss and probably earning $190,000 a year. Does this mean Dylan could afford that apartment? It very well could be a possibility.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Nick T. said:

6 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I would have to relisten to confirm, but I think she was saying that the most recent episode at the time of recording was Ep 222 (Unforgettable) not that 2:22 was the 222 ep.

When it was taped (Sept. 14, 2019) the previous episode was #221 (Aug. 30, 2019) so she presumed this would be the next episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_How_Did_This_Get_Made%3F_episodes

http://www.kellerauditoriumportland.com/events/how-did-this-get-made/#.X0u-AIt7ldg

• Like 4

Is the "Millhurst" that they keep wanting to travel to a fictional town, or are they referring to Millhurst, New Jersey?  If it's the town in New Jersey, then that is nowhere near Poughkeepsie, which is where they end up getting tickets for because the Millhurst train doesn't run anymore.  In fact, doing a quick Google map search, Poughkeepsie is about 120 miles away from Millhurst.  If someone was looking to go to Millhurst, surely the man at the ticket booth would give them tickets to somewhere closer to their desired location than that.

Also, the ticket booth operator keeps saying that the Millhurst line hasn't run for 30 years.  Are we to believe that the shooting incident in this film somehow led to the termination of the Millhurst line?  What if Dylan, Sarah, and Jonas have been reincarnated multiple times and every time it ends with people who want to go to Millhurst shooting each other and they closed down the line believing it was cursed?  Or maybe it is just a case of Grand Central realizing that the only people who would ever want to visit New Jersey are deeply troubled individuals.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DrGuts1003 said:

Is the "Millhurst" that they keep wanting to travel to a fictional town, or are they referring to Millhurst, New Jersey?  If it's the town in New Jersey, then that is nowhere near Poughkeepsie, which is where they end up getting tickets for because the Millhurst train doesn't run anymore.  In fact, doing a quick Google map search, Poughkeepsie is about 120 miles away from Millhurst.  If someone was looking to go to Millhurst, surely the man at the ticket booth would give them tickets to somewhere closer to their desired location than that.

Also, the ticket booth operator keeps saying that the Millhurst line hasn't run for 30 years.  Are we to believe that the shooting incident in this film somehow led to the termination of the Millhurst line?  What if Dylan, Sarah, and Jonas have been reincarnated multiple times and every time it ends with people who want to go to Millhurst shooting each other and they closed down the line believing it was cursed?  Or maybe it is just a case of Grand Central realizing that the only people who would ever want to visit New Jersey are deeply troubled individuals.

I also thought it crazy that the ticket booth operator was so checked out he didn’t even blink an eye that to two different people requested tickets to a train that hasn’t run in thirty years. I believe he even repeats the exact same line.

How many people are trying to get to Milhurst? And if it’s that popular of a destination that the ticket booth operator has his response memorized, maybe a train SHOULD be going to Milhurst.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrGuts1003 said:

She's "taking the train to Millhurst" should be popular euphemism  for someone insane.   

• Like 5

Both Daario and Theresa Palmer make a huge deal about sharing the same birthday, but statistically speaking, beyond a slight "Huh, that's kind of cool" moment, it's not really all that impressive. Every person on Earth has a 1 in 365 (0.3%) chance of sharing a birthday with any random person they meet -- which isn't nothing. Furthermore, according to the "Birthday Paradox," if you take a room full of people, say 50 people enjoying an evening of sensual aerial ballet, the odds that two (or more) people share a birthday actually increases! I'll spare everyone the "math" of it all (although if you're interested, you can find it here, here, and here), but if we go by my estimate of about 50 people at the ballet, there is a whopping 97% chance that two people in that room were born on the same day! (At which point, it would actually be more impressive if two people in that crowd *didn't* share a birthday.)

It portends nothing. There's nothing magical, mystical or even all that unusual about it. At best, it's trivial ephemera you might share at a dinner party when all other topics have all been totally exhausted.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, My Password is Swordfish said:

Analyzing this movie is like the movie itself, you just keep finding more and more until you're finding flaws everywhere and writing them on your glass room dividers presumably. 

I'm surprised Jason didn't bring up Serenity, since that was the other movie he described as uncrackable due to the creators not figuring it out in the first place.  

I had considered whether we were headed to a stuck-in-a-glitchy-simulation explanation, and was convinced once we got to the hologram. But there were at least a dozen other explanations they gestured at — all from other, better movies! — before settling on "absolutely fucking nothing."  

• Like 1

Daario’s buddy’s name was apparently “Inky,” and this was all I could thing about...

6972f8f7e4fd149.gif

That being said, based on the other metaphysical nonsense being peddled throughout 2:22, and I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to believe his friend was a pellet popping maze-ghost.

• Like 3

When Daario the second first feels a drop of water it is when hitting his alarm for 9:10AM. Upon being hit by said droplet he rushes into the kitchen to find something to write the events upon. He notices the dead fly and adds that to his list at the same time as the droplet of water. Then a plane flies overhead and he check his watch and writes down "11:15 plane" which is a good two hours since his alarm went off. So that means one of two things happened. He hit the alarm, immediately went to his kitchen noticed a dead bug, and spent two hour looking for his kitchen paper or he hit the alarm, went to the kitchen, noticed the bug, took out the kitchen paper and waited there in that spot for 2 hours until the next event happened. In either case, for a day full of these odd little things happening a two hour window at the start feels like an awfully big gap.

• Like 4