šŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ɨ
Ofcoursemyhorse

Conspiracy Theory (1997)

A wonderfully bad movie with tons of unhinged ranting and screaming from Mel Gibson. The plot of this movie feels like it was written by Alex Jones about himself.

Ā 

Ā 

I recently re-watched "Lethal Weapon 2" and realized that if you had re-cut it from the point-of-view of the woman he seduces, it would be a horror movie without having to change his performance; he is an emotionally-unstableĀ cop with a gun and rage issues who repeatedly demonstrates he doesn't respect the law or boundaries and physically restrains her until she agrees to go out with him. And she ends up dead.

"Conspiracy Theory" is that idea x100. The fact that it is ever treated as a romance instead of a straight-up stalker nightmare story is an indictment of how much we were willing to excuse from Mel back in the day.

• Like 2

Also, I rememberĀ an interview with Patrick Stewart where they asked him why he did this movie and he talked about the level of hotel you get to stay in when you're working on an A-List movie and the gourmet breakfasts he was having. He was all "I get to eat salmon EVERY DAY!"

• Like 2

23 hours ago, nthurkettle said:

Also, I rememberĀ an interview with Patrick Stewart where they asked him why he did this movie and he talked about the level of hotel you get to stay in when you're working on an A-List movie and the gourmet breakfasts he was having. He was all "I get to eat salmon EVERY DAY!"

That kind of surprises me a little bit, given how unhinged he is in real life I figured this movie was more of a "They Live" situation for him.Ā 

Ā 

23 hours ago, nthurkettle said:

I recently re-watched "Lethal Weapon 2" and realized that if you had re-cut it from the point-of-view of the woman he seduces, it would be a horror movie without having to change his performance; he is an emotionally-unstableĀ cop with a gun and rage issues who repeatedly demonstrates he doesn't respect the law or boundaries and physically restrains her until she agrees to go out with him. And she ends up dead.

"Conspiracy Theory" is that idea x100. The fact that it is ever treated as a romance instead of a straight-up stalker nightmare story is an indictment of how much we were willing to excuse from Mel back in the day.

It is pretty nuts how many of his movies are him playing a character who is an absolute lunatic and ending up with women who should definitely reconsider their decision. Lethal Weapons, Ransom, Bird on a Wire, Braveheart, Payback, The Patriot, What Women Want etc.. are all pretty good examples.Ā