🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
theworstbuddhist

Episode 247.5: Prequel to Episode 248

Quar chat with Jason, Hawkman and Hawkgirl, and more on this week's mini episode! Paul offers up advice on the Help line, goes through corrections and omissions for 2:22, and chats with Jason about everything they're watching. Plus, we announce our next movie! Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson; check out the Jane Club at janeclub.com; check out HDGTM merch at Teepublic! Follow @paulscheer on Instagram and Twitter, @junediane on IG and @msjunediane on Twitter, and Jason is not on social media.

• Like 4

Congrats to this week's winner, I won't spoil that here but I will reveal that next week's movie is called Velocipastor and it's about a priest who becomes a dinosaur? I guess?

Anyway, I noticed the other day on social media that Stitcher is doing a big promo for their premium service where it's something like $21 a year, so if that interests you, now you know.

Paul also officially gave notice on the mini episode that there will be a pay per view charity episode of HDTGM where they do Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, with the $5 proceeds going to a charity that tries to get out the vote in the US. You can also sign up to be a poll worker, which I understand is an issue in the upcoming US election, so speaking as a nervous foreigner watching all this from afar, I encourage my American friends to do whatever they safely can to contribute to that effort. Think of it this way: if the Koch brothers and Putin have their way, the only movies we'll ever get to watch is Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

• Like 2

Oh, also wanted to mention for my fellow comics fans and because I know Jason is a big fan of my fellow comics makers Kris Bertin and Andrew Forbes (creators of the Hobtown Mysteries series) here in Nova Scotia, they have a short piece in a new anthology from their publisher, Conundrum press. The new book is called Nova Graphica and it's a collection of short tales about the region by local cartoonists.

• Like 1

I'm about 15 minutes in to Velocipastor and oof, for a 70 minute movie this already feels pretty long. I'll probably get high and finish it tonight.

Anyone else have long weekend plans? If you have a PS4 and haven't picked it up already, there is a big sale on one of the editions of Red Dead Redemption 2, which is apparently how Jason spends a lot of his time these days according to his appearance on How Did This Get Played?

• Like 1

Paul: "We've capitulated and decided to do Transformers."

Me: "Ugh...I'll pass."

Paul: "All proceeds will go to charities promoting election security."

Me: "...God damn it ::sigh:: Take my money." 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

You can also sign up to be a poll worker, which I understand is an issue in the upcoming US election, so speaking as a nervous foreigner watching all this from afar, I encourage my American friends to do whatever they safely can to contribute to that effort.

Yes! Please sign up if you're thinking about it/could use a few extra bucks! It's so important! I'm signed up for my state as a laptop operator and guys, it's the easiest job. And believe me, if someone with anxiety, ASD, and ADHD is telling you it's a breeze, it'll be like an ultra mega Geostorm breeze for ya. Do it!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, muttnik said:

Yes! Please sign up if you're thinking about it/could use a few extra bucks! It's so important! I'm signed up for my state as a laptop operator and guys, it's the easiest job. And believe me, if someone with anxiety, ASD, and ADHD is telling you it's a breeze, it'll be like an ultra mega Geostorm breeze for ya. Do it!

That’s awesome @muttnik! I hadn’t even thought about working at the polls until today’s episode. I think your endorsement just clinched it :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I'm about 15 minutes in to Velocipastor and oof, for a 70 minute movie this already feels pretty long. I'll probably get high and finish it tonight.

Anyone else have long weekend plans? If you have a PS4 and haven't picked it up already, there is a big sale on one of the editions of Red Dead Redemption 2, which is apparently how Jason spends a lot of his time these days according to his appearance on How Did This Get Played?

That was such a good episode; I'd love to hear more of Jason's thoughts on Fallout 4 and what paths he chose.

This weekend I'm going to watch some no-commentary longplays of The Last of Us/Left Behind/Part II. They fall into the category of games I'd love to play but understand I am not great at playing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

That’s awesome @muttnik! I hadn’t even thought about working at the polls until today’s episode. I think your endorsement just clinched it :) 

Alright!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I've never been a poll worker, but I have done election protection, where I monitored polling locations, making sure the lines aren't crazy or people who show up and not on the list get it figured it out or voters aren't discouraged and turned away or whatnot. That's really satisfying too!

(Depends on the state rules, so unsure if this is a requirement, but I did this in my capacity of having a law degree.)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I've never been a poll worker, but I have done election protection, where I monitored polling locations, making sure the lines aren't crazy or people who show up and not on the list get it figured it out or voters aren't discouraged and turned away or whatnot. That's really satisfying too!

(Depends on the state rules, so unsure if this is a requirement, but I did this in my capacity of having a law degree.)

giphy.gif

• Like 3

21 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Velocipastor is pretty nutty and I was sold as soon as the "insert burned car" or whatever popped up on the screen. As for RDR2, that was a truly amazing game that still hasn't had all of its easter eggs and hidden gems discovered in it, plus you can literally spend hours doing countless things that don't do anything to progress you through the game as Jason was doing by fishing and hunting, and still feel fulfilled when you stop playing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RyanSz said:

Velocipastor is pretty nutty and I was sold as soon as the "insert burned car" or whatever popped up on the screen. As for RDR2, that was a truly amazing game that still hasn't had all of its easter eggs and hidden gems discovered in it, plus you can literally spend hours doing countless things that don't do anything to progress you through the game as Jason was doing by fishing and hunting, and still feel fulfilled when you stop playing.

I didn't wind up finishing the movie yet, but that note for the insert was funny. So far it reminds me of a Ti West movie with more humour and a dumber central idea.

I did play some RDR2 and learned how to hunt. Hard to say if it will become the kind of time-killing exercise for me like its sister game Grand Theft Auto V, where I enjoy jumping in the back of a train and trolling police helicopters to see how long I can get and keep a 5-star wanted rating while being carried around the city.

• Like 1

Hey Y'all,

I made a quick video for my theme, "This Is Paul's Help Line" that was on this weeks episode.  Check it out if you want to listen to the same thirty second song, over and over and over.

Peace, Ted

• Like 2

Karl Urban is NOT using his real accent in portraying Billy Butcher in The Boys. Karl Urban is from New Zealand and naturally has a New Zealand accent. Butcher is from London and speaks with a Cockney accent.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I didn't wind up finishing the movie yet, but that note for the insert was funny. So far it reminds me of a Ti West movie with more humour and a dumber central idea.

I did play some RDR2 and learned how to hunt. Hard to say if it will become the kind of time-killing exercise for me like its sister game Grand Theft Auto V, where I enjoy jumping in the back of a train and trolling police helicopters to see how long I can get and keep a 5-star wanted rating while being carried around the city.

Yeah I enjoyed hunting a bit though doing so also gave me some of the closest moments to pissing myself as that game has a knack for scaring the hell out of you with animal sneak attacks, whether it be from snakes, gators, or damn mountain lions. Then you also got to worry about cultists playing possum, cannibals trying to eat you, or any number of the fricking serial killers running around the old west. The only downside I found with that game was the lack of simple fast travel as that map is goddamn gigantic.

• Like 1

I am not looking forward to this movie. There is nothing more I hate than these movies that are trying to be bad on purpose. I think the reason a lot of us like so bad they are good movies is that they are earnest and honest with their schlock. There is a big difference between the first Sharknado and the third one. It went from doing something silly and fun to being way too in on the joke and taking the humor away by not even trying or trying to be funny when it is just lazy. That's why I think Black Dynamite is one of the best comedies of the last 20 years or so. It understood what made blaxplotation films fun and bad and recreated that in an honest way for laughs. To the point where there are subtle things like booms dipping into shots and purposeful "bad" acting that sell those jokes. It comes off as a bad movie, but you know everything was done for a reason and thought out to be a reference or callback to these movies its making fun of. Most of the time these film makers think that you just slap something together and call it intentional you call all laugh at it even though it's just an excuse for them to actually craft jokes or film something with style. 

• Like 6

On 9/6/2020 at 2:24 PM, Cam Bert said:

I am not looking forward to this movie. There is nothing more I hate than these movies that are trying to be bad on purpose. I think the reason a lot of us like so bad they are good movies is that they are earnest and honest with their schlock. There is a big difference between the first Sharknado and the third one. It went from doing something silly and fun to being way too in on the joke and taking the humor away by not even trying or trying to be funny when it is just lazy. That's why I think Black Dynamite is one of the best comedies of the last 20 years or so. It understood what made blaxplotation films fun and bad and recreated that in an honest way for laughs. To the point where there are subtle things like booms dipping into shots and purposeful "bad" acting that sell those jokes. It comes off as a bad movie, but you know everything was done for a reason and thought out to be a reference or callback to these movies its making fun of. Most of the time these film makers think that you just slap something together and call it intentional you call all laugh at it even though it's just an excuse for them to actually craft jokes or film something with style. 

After seeing the film, I'm not sure if you're 100% right or maybe being a bit too hard. I get that there are limitations on having a small budget ( this apparently cost 35K ), and you might as well face those limitations head-on and just be honest/jokey about it, but then there were a couple of scenes when they're definitely playing it cheap on purpose, a couple of actors who are laying it on way too thick, and a couple of lines of dialogue that really straddled the line between 70/80s schlock and just straight on icky/weird. And like @theworstbuddhist said, it's surprisingly boring for something with such a fun premise and only 70 minutes of run time.

I guess your mileage may vary, but it's definitely not a chore like some of their picks are.

• Like 2

Just sat down to watch this tripe, and my wife actually just as the credits were rolling, "So, this isn't some kind of Kirk Cameron movie, is it?"

EDIT to add: 30 secs in, and I already hate it.

• Like 2