🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
sycasey 2.0

Rebel Without A Cause

Rebel Without a Cause?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Does Rebel Without a Cause go in the space capsule?

• ✅ Once you been up there you know you've been someplace
    • ❌ You are tearing me apart, Lisa!

unspooled-rebel-with-out-a-cause.jpg

Amy & Paul are torn apart by 1955’s landmark teen drama Rebel Without A Cause! They celebrate the instantly iconic performance of James Dean, learn about the wild backstory of director Nicholas Ray, and take a close look at the seismic generational shifts of the era. Plus: reflections on the recent passing of Chadwick Boseman.

This is the fourth episode of our “Back To School” miniseries; next week’s film is Cooley High! Learn more about the show at unspooledpod.com, follow us on Twitter @unspooled and Instagram @unspooledpod, and don’t forget to rate, review & subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher and Spotify. Also check out our live Spool Party episodes on youtube.com/earwolf, and apply to be a guest on Screen Test at unspooledpod@gmail.com!

I don't think this film really belonged on the AFI list, so I'm fine about it getting removed. It's famous because James Dean died so young, but he wasn't really adding anything new on top of Brando and the film isn't nearly as "rebellious" as it markets itself. I think softening it and turning away from the original premise of sociopath delinquent (which I think Brando could have played) frankly results in it being mistitled. Dennis Hopper would go on to make a film which not only was more indicative of what the rebellious younger generation was actually like, but was made in a very different style and helped bust open the studio system for a "New Hollywood" containing independents, so I say he got the last laugh on Ray.

I would only call it "the Streetcar ending" if Blanche DuBois had been shot to death by the cops.

• Like 1

I voted yes based on this film's iconography being so strong and also it addressing some surprisingly pertinent issue (even to the modern day) despite how dated the melodramatic style is. I think you do have to perform a little bit of a mental adjustment for the time it was made to really appreciate it, which can be a mark against a film being preserved for all time.

Dean is obviously the most memorable character and image from this movie, but IMO Sal Mineo gives the best performance. I guess Amy doesn't like Natalie Wood, but I think she's pretty good in this too.

I voted no. The one time I watched this, I didn't think it was particularly good. I felt like a lot of its appeal is exploring teen culture in a new way and James Dean.

I think there are a lot of movies that explore teenagers clashing with adults and finding their place. In 1955, this would have felt huge but it feels a tad too dated today. 

As for James Dean, East Of Eden and Giant are better movies.

I just listened to this episode. Very disappointed that Amy described Gloria Graham as having a "messy life" after clearly understanding that Graham is a child rapist.

Sign in to follow this