Jump to content
Cameron H.

Episode 248.5 — Minisode 248.5

Recommended Posts

Talking B-Ball, addressing a controversy with the director of VelociPastor, and more on this week’s mini episode! Paul offers up advice on the Help Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for The VelociPastor, and shares a deleted scene from the 2:22 episode. Plus, we announce our next movie!
 
Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/
Check out The Jane Club over at www.janeclub.com
Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter
@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter
Jason is Not on Twitter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I hate being negative because I am grateful for all the wonderful hours of hilarious content that HDTGM gives me.  And if I am the only one that feels this way, I will shut up about it, but...is anyone else bored and/or annoyed by the number of low-budget, no name movies that the show has been covering lately?  To me, I get much greater satisfaction watching and mocking big budget movies that bomb hard.

This is not to say that Paul, June and Jason can’t make a funny episode out of these straight to dvd movies, but I also want to look forward to watching the movie itself in the week prior and the choices lately have been underwhelming to say the least.

At least Paul somewhat acknowledged this week that VelociPastor was a bad choice because you can’t really dissect a movie that tries to be in on the joke.

Like I said, I may be alone in this, but I just wanted to express my frustration.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DrGuts1003 said:

I hate being negative because I am grateful for all the wonderful hours of hilarious content that HDTGM gives me.  And if I am the only one that feels this way, I will shut up about it, but...is anyone else bored and/or annoyed by the number of low-budget, no name movies that the show has been covering lately?  To me, I get much greater satisfaction watching and mocking big budget movies that bomb hard.

This is not to say that Paul, June and Jason can’t make a funny episode out of these straight to dvd movies, but I also want to look forward to watching the movie itself in the week prior and the choices lately have been underwhelming to say the least.

At least Paul somewhat acknowledged this week that VelociPastor was a bad choice because you can’t really dissect a movie that tries to be in on the joke.

Like I said, I may be alone in this, but I just wanted to express my frustration.

I doubt that you're alone. Personally I like to have a mixture of big budget movies, straight to video or streaming, stuff I remember from Blockbuster, obscure weird shit that I have never seen elsewhere, etc. And a mix of live and studio shows for that matter, but the pandemic has thrown a lot of this out of whack. Not to mention Avril and whoever else picking the movies is trying to consider how available the movie is for listeners. So it's been a weird run lately between sifting through straight to streaming stuff and banked episodes and Swordfish and so on.

There's still plenty of stuff in the suggestions forum that hasn't been picked that I think would make for a good show. Why don't they just do those? Who can say. I would pay an extra $5 to hear an episode with Adam Scott talking about Torque.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Twice while listening to this episode, I checked my phone to make sure the podcast wasn't playing at 1.5x speed. Anyone else think that Paul was talking like he was awarded free cafe lattes for life from Java World?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Twice while listening to this episode, I checked my phone to make sure the podcast wasn't playing at 1.5x speed. Anyone else think that Paul was talking like he was awarded free cafe lattes for life from Java World?

He was talking SUPER fast. He said he was having a bad week and sounded stressed. As someone who lives in Seattle, I was.not directly affected by the insane fires but I was very much affected by the smoke. We were told to stay indoors and keep all our windows closed as much as possible. I can’t imagine what it’s like in California/more directly impacted areas. But it’s been miserable here and the smoke only just cleared today after almost  two straight weeks.

long story short, I totally understand why he’s talking at double-speed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/18/2020 at 11:42 AM, theworstbuddhist said:

I doubt that you're alone. Personally I like to have a mixture of big budget movies, straight to video or streaming, stuff I remember from Blockbuster, obscure weird shit that I have never seen elsewhere, etc. And a mix of live and studio shows for that matter, but the pandemic has thrown a lot of this out of whack. Not to mention Avril and whoever else picking the movies is trying to consider how available the movie is for listeners. So it's been a weird run lately between sifting through straight to streaming stuff and banked episodes and Swordfish and so on.

There's still plenty of stuff in the suggestions forum that hasn't been picked that I think would make for a good show. Why don't they just do those? Who can say. I would pay an extra $5 to hear an episode with Adam Scott talking about Torque.

I also enjoy when they mix it up more and would like some bigger-budget flops thrown in.

it also seems like they are picking these low-budget movies because they’re available for free if you’re an Amazon subscriber. I have a love-hate relationship with Amazon (mostly hate) and wish they would move away from it. Amazon has produced some great independent movies/shows and employs some of my friends ((positive), but their business model had run many great bookstores into the ground and has impacted Seattle in not-so-great ways. 
 

i’m off on a tear. Sorry. I’ll spare you a Bezos rant. And —to be truthful—I’m also a bit of a hippocrate because I ordered a Kindle Fire this summer but I primarily read library books on it (Fuck you Bezos, I’m sticking it to the man!).But it would still be nice to move away from crappy movies that are only available on Amazon.😁😩

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

I also enjoy when they mix it up more and would like some bigger-budget flops thrown in.

it also seems like they are picking these low-budget movies because they’re available for free if you’re an Amazon subscriber. I have a love-hate relationship with Amazon (mostly hate) and wish they would move away from it. Amazon has produced some great independent movies/shows and employs some of my friends ((positive), but their business model had run many great bookstores into the ground and has impacted Seattle in not-so-great ways. 
 

i’m off on a tear. Sorry. I’ll spare you a Bezos rant. And —to be truthful—I’m also a bit of a hippocrate because I ordered a Kindle Fire this summer but I primarily read library books on it (Fuck you Bezos, I’m sticking it to the man!).But it would still be nice to move away from crappy movies that are only available on Amazon.😁😩

I mostly hate Amazon as well and generally avoid Prime, but thanks to Covid there are times when it's easiest to use them to ship a gift to someone (for example). The last time I did this they gave me a month of Prime for free so I said what the hell and now I'm catching up on some stuff. The movie selection on Prime is pretty nuts if you like shitty old B-movies and have the patience to hunt for them.

I wouldn't worry too much about being "pure" when it comes to supporting or not supporting something. All we can do is the best we can do with the information we have under the conditions we're in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/18/2020 at 11:56 AM, DrGuts1003 said:

I hate being negative because I am grateful for all the wonderful hours of hilarious content that HDTGM gives me.  And if I am the only one that feels this way, I will shut up about it, but...is anyone else bored and/or annoyed by the number of low-budget, no name movies that the show has been covering lately?  To me, I get much greater satisfaction watching and mocking big budget movies that bomb hard.

This is not to say that Paul, June and Jason can’t make a funny episode out of these straight to dvd movies, but I also want to look forward to watching the movie itself in the week prior and the choices lately have been underwhelming to say the least.

At least Paul somewhat acknowledged this week that VelociPastor was a bad choice because you can’t really dissect a movie that tries to be in on the joke.

Like I said, I may be alone in this, but I just wanted to express my frustration.

I get it. I remember around Hard Ticket to Hawaii time, I wasn't overly fond of the pics. However, Paul has said in one of the minis that they kind of go through phases. If they do too many big budget movies, Cannon movies, dramas, ninja movies, etc. people complain. In other words, no matter what they pick, they can't please everyone all the time. And if that's the case, then they might as well just pick movies that they feel like doing -- which I think is ultimately great for everyone. I honestly don't think there's anything more to it than that.

I'm pretty much a HDTGM completionist, and I try to keep current with them as much as possible, but I have also gotten to the point where if I'm not super excited about the movie pick, I don't jump through hoops to make sure I watch it before the episode drops. 

Like, I don't blame you if you're disappointed with their picks, but I promise it won't be long until they are back to doing something you are into.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I agree to some degree, there are some big budget movies that I think they should do (Sound of Thunder, Virus, Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li), but I do enjoy a good episode like Money Plane as well. I watched VelociPastor this past weekend and that was roughhhhhhhhh, it was in on the joke which made it not a good choice. I don't mind movies that are trying to be "good" or at least not in on the joke and generally have at least a couple million in the budget to make a professional looking film. I don't mind if they are straight to video or theatrical releases, just movies trying to be something but they turn out as something else completely. Do enjoy the mixing of genres though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I skipped the VelociPastor episode mostly for the reason that everyone named here, and it sounds like it was the right call.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CaptainAmazing said:

I skipped the VelociPastor episode mostly for the reason that everyone named here, and it sounds like it was the right call.

The episode itself is hilarious and ranks among their best for random tangents. They can make a funny episode out of anything, it’s the film itself that sounds like shit, so I skipped it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I only listen to the episodes of movies I've watched, but I listen to all the mini-episodes.  I get what you're saying about the low-budget movies, but I have a feeling it's due to the pandemic.  While we've been getting some previously recorded in the "before-fore times" live shows, I imagine they want to save the bigger budget, more popular movies for when they can get in front of a large audience again.

My favorite episodes are those live shows.  Paul, June, and Jason are a great team, but there's something about the crowd that really adds to the show.  From the repeated jokes (Jason and babies in the crowd, the balcony, etc.) to hearing questions from audience members, to just having the audience to play off of, I find them way more enjoyable.  And I'm sure the bigger, more popular the movie, the better the response from the crowd.

So as long as post-pandemic they get back to those movies with live shows, I'm okay with lower-budget movies.

Besides, it gives me an opportunity to catch up on the other podcasts I listen to during those weeks for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×