🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
sycasey 2.0

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Fast Times?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Does Fast Times go in the space capsule?

• ✅ Learn it, know it, live it.
    • ❌ You dick!

unspooled-Fast-Times.jpg

Amy & Paul say aloha to 1982’s high school romp Fast Times At Ridgemont High! They learn about the real life inspiration for Spicoli from Sean Penn, take a close look at the film’s unique treatment of teen sex, and wonder just what a trout dog is. Plus: director Amy Heckerling explains how she worked around the studio system to bring her vision to the film.

This is the sixth episode of our “Back To School” miniseries; next week’s film is the winner of the fan vote for this series, Dazed And Confused! Learn more about the show at unspooledpod.com, follow us on Twitter @unspooled and Instagram @unspooledpod, and don’t forget to rate, review & subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher and Spotify. Also check out our live Spool Party episodes on youtube.com/earwolf, and apply to be a guest on Screen Test at unspooledpod@gmail.com! Photo credit: Kim Troxall

Not much discussion on this one!

I was on the fence but did ultimately vote yes. My uncertainty is not about disliking how the movie was done, generally . . . I think it's a really well written and directed film. I'm just not sure it's quite an all-timer for all generations. A good deal of it feels like it's trapped in its time and I'm not sure how well its relevance will hold up as we get further away from the 80s. But on the other hand, it feels like Crowe/Heckerling are at least somewhat aware of this issue and have fashioned the movie as a kind of travelogue for high school culture of the era. As noted in the podcast episode, it already feels like a bit of a nostalgia piece even though it's contemporary to the time. So that probably helps it going forward.

I remember reading that Roger Ebert review in a collection I had and wondered what movie he was watching. The movie has a lot of frank sexual talk and scenes, but it's hardly an exploitation film: the filmmakers make the effort to show the consequences and fallout from the sexual decisions the characters make, including a heavy focus on the girls' feelings. That alone puts it a cut above most of the teen sex comedies of the time.

• Like 1

And I was the other vote, this was just us! Heh. But yea it was definitely enjoyable, but it is the most "time capsule" of any of the films in the set we've seen, I think. 

I think one thing I kept coming back to was how quickly Leigh bounced back from her abortion. I mean, not that it was unrealistic, but I think it should have had some more emotion to it. I realize kids that age are pretty resilient and maybe it was her character a bit to not focus on it, but I dunno. I liked that issue was in the film, but I think that Crowe was so young that he didn't quite have the ability to tackle that situation with enough depth. That's a tough balance I guess for a teen comedy though, so maybe it was enough. I don't know what I'm talking myself into.

20 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

And I was the other vote, this was just us! Heh. But yea it was definitely enjoyable, but it is the most "time capsule" of any of the films in the set we've seen, I think. 

I think one thing I kept coming back to was how quickly Leigh bounced back from her abortion. I mean, not that it was unrealistic, but I think it should have had some more emotion to it. I realize kids that age are pretty resilient and maybe it was her character a bit to not focus on it, but I dunno. I liked that issue was in the film, but I think that Crowe was so young that he didn't quite have the ability to tackle that situation with enough depth. That's a tough balance I guess for a teen comedy though, so maybe it was enough. I don't know what I'm talking myself into.

Another way to see it is that it's actually fairly progressive to see the abortion as not a massively tragic thing. It's difficult, and something she has to do, but not a life-ruiner.

Just now, sycasey 2.0 said:

Another way to see it is that it's actually fairly progressive to see the abortion as not a massively tragic thing. It's difficult, and something she has to do, but not a life-ruiner.

Oh definitely agree, and I didn't mean it should've ruined her. But like, it just didn't seem difficult in any way? Even if someone decides to do that, and is super progressive and absolute about it, I still think there's gonna be some complicated feelings there? Or not even complicated ones. I dunno, I've never been in the situation so maybe I'm out of place. But yea maybe making it almost mundane is a new view for it too.

Sign in to follow this