🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

As a religious listener to HDTGM, I think Flash Gordon would be an amazing movie for you to review. It has Timothy Dalton in what might be his best performance since the Rocketeer and Max Von Sydow, playing the creepy eastern European character that he always plays (see: Strange Brew, Shutter island, Victory et al).

OH YEAH... and it has a theme song by Queen. This is clearly the best part of the movie until the birdmen attack at the ened. Yes, birdmen.

No Nicholas Cage, but this has got to be an old enough movie that it wont irk any of your friends inthe film business to tear it to shreds/place it on the pedastal of awesometerribleness.

Let's also not forget Sam J. Jones, ya know, the star of such films as... hell you could probably get him to do the podcast with you

That reminds me, I was watching American Idol a few weeks back, and they were doing Queen songs that week, OK? Anyway, they did all the songs that you think they'd do, but there wasn't a SINGLE selection from the "Highlander", "Iron Eagle", OR "Flash Gordon" soundtracks! No "Princes of the Universe", no "One Vision", no "Flash! Ah-ahhhhhh!", no nothin'! Bullshit, man. Definite party foul...

Let's also not forget Sam J. Jones, ya know, the star of such films as... hell you could probably get him to do the podcast with you

You didn't like Sam in 10? or the 1987 version of Will Eisner's Spirit (the newer one with Samuel L Jackson should be reviewed BTW)?

I'd rather have the gang review Flesh Gordon instead!

I legitimately love this movie. It's really one of the ultimate pinnacles of 80s cheese because it doesn't even have to conform with any sort of earthbound reality. You know, the corniness of the 1930s serials the film hearkens to combined with the neon brainwaves of late-twentieth-century imaginations. Fuck yes! Queen's music, Max Von Sydow, Timothy Dalton, AND Brian Blessed. How DID this get made? I don't know, but I'm so happy it did.

• Like 1

I just watched some of this on tv and was thinking the entire time that it would be perfect for an episode of HDTGM. I hope it gets done sometime, because its freaking ridiculous crazy.

This was a very weird movie. I watched this several times as a kid and even then couldn't make sense of it. I do remember loving the visuals because it did look cool...

and as far as penis outlines go, this movie is the creme de la creme. While Sleepaway Camp had a variety of penis outlines, this just had one -- one that was prominently featured and was almost like another character in scenes.

as crazy as this film is, it's nothing next to flesh gordon 1974 version, the canadian space tv network channel here in canada played this movie none stop for age's. Youtube link. it's really really bad.

if you've seen Flash Gordon go see teddy it's got a little treat waiting for ya. only thing funny in that film.

Flash Gordon is very deliberately campy. It could make for an interesting discussion, though my preference is to stick to movies that are bad and don't realize it.

Sci Fi from 1980 Max Von Sydow as Ming is amazing, music by QUEEN and Timothy Dalton as the tree man. So enjoyable yet so terrible.

isn't there another thread about this? I swear we've talked about this movie before.

It's all sort of coming back to me.

Flash Gordon is very deliberately campy.

I don't think the little people on leashes was meant as camp. There are a lot of legitimately terrible things about this movie.

I don't think the little people on leashes was meant as camp. There are a lot of legitimately terrible things about this movie.

*EVERYTHING* in this movie is meant as camp.

Here's the original trailer. It reminds me of a magazine article I read that said "This movie would be so much better if Ming killed Gordon and moved onto fight a better hero.

This movie would be awesome! it's completely barmy from start to finish. I love that they were attempting to create a new 'Star Wars' style trilogy with this. Wonder why they never made the sequels....

Big Train (Simon Pegg's sketch comedy group) clearly watched this movie a lot:

• Like 1

More like, "Lucas just wanted to make Flash Gordon movies, but we wouldn't sell him the property, so he made Star Wars. Well, if that was a success, then the stuff he wanted to make originally probably would've been even more successful. If we make them now, we'll be printing money."

• Like 1

Big Train (Simon Pegg's sketch comedy group) clearly watched this movie a lot:

this clip here of the hospital room is a painful reminder to me, almost spot on.

How DID this get made?

Dino de Laurentiis. That's really all you need to say.

• Like 1

Yeeeeeeeah...! "Flash Gordon" is begging for the HDTGM treatment. If you saw it when you were six, you'll love it for life. I know Alex Ross (comic book artist) loooooves this movie for that reason.

But for the rest of us, its pretty much a case study of super-bad moviemaking. I loves me sci-fi epics and Flash Gordon the character, but my head just wants to explode when I see this movie. Yowza...!

Dino de Laurentiis. That's really all you need to say.

True 'dat. de Laurentiis name is kinda code for "STAY AWAY!"

This movie would be great for an episode. Hawkmen, Max Von Sydow, a football fight scene plus a theme song that would rival Bim. Please do this movie.