🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Ep. 249 — Deadly Mile High Club

Paul, June, and Jason discuss the 2020 movie Deadly Mile High Club. They talk about the pink fedora, Margaret’s show stealing performance, Gonzo’s impromptu air show, and more.
Listen to the Transformers For Charity episode over at https://www.hdtgminfo.com/
Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/
Check out The Jane Club over at www.janeclub.com
Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter
@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter
Jason is Not on Twitter
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.

• Like 1

Okay but let’s say your life depends on it (maybe it’s a Money Plane bet) and you HAVE to fly with a celebrity pilot, who do you trust? 

Sure, Harrison Ford has a “series” of crashes, but what if. WHAT IF. Underneath his human face, he is Launchpad McQuackin disguise? 

• Like 3

The woman's hard pink hat was a trilby not a fedora. They are very similar styles of headwear but aren't the same.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Blast Hardcheese said:

Was Mile Die Club already taken?

Yeah. I thought the title was very bad. Hearing Lifetime had another movie called Deadly... makes me think they were just trading in on familiarity.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The mom says at the very start that "decaf coffee is her only luxury" when she accuses an employee of stealing it. That made me so sad. Not even regular coffee. Decaf. 

• Like 4

IThis Okay but let’s say your life depends on it (maybe it’s a Money Plane bet) and you HAVE to fly with a celebrity pilot, who do you trust? 

Sure, Harrison Ford has a “series” of crashes, but what if. WHAT IF. Underneath his human face, he is Launchpad McQuackin disguise? 

Eta important update:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

IThis Okay but let’s say your life depends on it (maybe it’s a Money Plane bet) and you HAVE to fly with a celebrity pilot, who do you trust? 

Eta important update:

I'm lying down and I need to lie down harder is how I'm doing. It's Too Much. My face is red with second hand embarrassment yet I can't look away.  

• Like 3

Ok so was I just on a bunch of migraine meds or did they say they hadn't had sex in 3 YEARS? When did they get married? How long have they been together? Sex isn't everything but like if you aren't together in 3 YEARS and you are a relatively young couple and not asexual.. perhaps you should go tot therapy? Talk? Not be married to a bag of mayo?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

Ok so was I just on a bunch of migraine meds or did they say they hadn't had sex in 3 YEARS? When did they get married? How long have they been together? Sex isn't everything but like if you aren't together in 3 YEARS and you are a relatively young couple and not asexual.. perhaps you should go tot therapy? Talk? Not be married to a bag of mayo?

I believe he said she hasn't wanted to have sex for three years. I interpreted that to mean that they had sex but she wasn't into it at all or had to be talked into it every time. But maybe they aren't having sex at all. Either way, definitely an issue for therapy.

• Like 2

You know that episode of Mythbusters where they test whether you can be talked down when landing an aircraft without experience? After the pandemic, is there any chance we can re-create that, but with June?

Asking for a friend.

Fantastic episode! This movie is exactly what I needed :) 

Paul brought up how doing inventory seems like a pretty menial job for someone being groomed for taking over a multi-thousand dollar company, but what blew my mind was that he described himself as an Operations Manager, yet when confronted with why he ducked out of work early to take flying lessons, he told Margret that he had completed his work and would have just been "sitting around for the rest of his shift." I'm sorry, being a Operations Manager is a supervisory role and isn't a position with tangible objectives. You can't just say, "I've completed all the requisite supervising for today in a couple of hours." An Ops Manager would still have to be available to answer questions, make schedules, and handle any customer/supplier issues that might crop up. And even if no other issues did occur, a good manager wouldn't mind rolling up their sleeves and helping their employees complete their own job duties.

I'm just saying, Jack was a trash employee. He would be a terrible boss. He doesn't deserve any kind of promotion and he should be thankful Margret put up with his sorry ass for as long as she did.  

• Like 7

I enjoyed the f out of this. I can't nitpick it because it is flawless.

I really liked some of the visual cues. Early on, the pilot and the dumb guy were talking and a small plane just casually taxied right behind them and that made me laugh really hard.

EixxpzMVkAA9WA5?format=jpg&name=large

Also I really loved the ending. I thought it was legitimately tense and well-shot, the whole 'escape from a box on a plane' bit. I was on edge! The very end too when they were divebombing the pilot was genius and maybe better than North By Northwest?

EixxpzMUYAEsl74?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3

What cracked me up the most about Margaret handing her daughter 2k in a filthy, crumpled wad, was when she whispered, "I know you need it." The only reason she would know that they need that money is because she pays Jake's salary! If she was truly concerned about her daughter's financial situation, she could always just pay Jake more. She has full control of her daughter's economic stability, and while I get she doesn't like Jake, paying him more would at least ensure her daughter's lasting comfort better than intermittent hand outs beneath the kitchen table. Hell, if Jake was making decent money, it might make him feel more ownership over his work , and inspire him to be a better employee overall. 

• Like 2

Also, for the record, Pink Fedora was going to grad school for English Literature. When she's debasing Jake in bed for being stupid and unambitious, she tells him she "didn't mean to say that" and he retorts "You're studying English, you always know exactly what you're saying." Which is kind of crazy when you think about it. Jake tells her they can't afford to go on vacation because she decided to go to grad school, but speaking as a former English Major, I assure you, you can absolutely work a part time (or even a full time job!) while studying. Let me tell you, being a full time English Major would have been quite the luxury. 

• Like 2

The scenes with Pink Fedora’s neighbor, Lindsey, must be setting up a Lifetime shared universe in which the next movie will be titled “Deadly Observation: I Married a Stalker”.  Not only has her husband disabled the motion sensor on the Ring camera so that he can record *everything*, he also has some kind of Dark Web site access on his laptop that allows you to immediately look up someone’s address based on a license plate number.  THIS GUY IS UP TO SOMETHING!

Also of note, the Ring camera footage of the models arriving at the house shows four or five workers on the roof right next door.   I guess they got a really good show on the day of the steamy backyard aerial photo shoot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

Also, for the record, Pink Fedora was going to grad school for English Literature. When she's debasing Jake in bed for being stupid and unambitious, she tells him she "didn't mean to say that" and he retorts "You're studying English, you always know exactly what you're saying." Which is kind of crazy when you think about it. Jake tells her they can't afford to go on vacation because she decided to go to grad school, but speaking as a former English Major, I assure you, you can absolutely work a part time (or even a full time job!) while studying. Let me tell you, being a full time English Major would have been quite the luxury. 

Doesn't Jake say "you're a writer" not English major? I might be wrong about that but it really stuck out to me.

I mean, writers aren't just putting down stream of consciousness into their work. Writers have drafts and editors. So, the idea that a writer knows what to say at all times is dumb.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Doesn't Jake say "you're a writer" not English major? I might be wrong about that but it really stuck out to me.

I mean, writers aren't just putting down stream of consciousness into their work. Writers have drafts and editors. So, the idea that a writer knows what to say at all times is dumb.

You are correct.

I just re-watched both scenes. She says she's going for her doctorate and that in order to "qualify for a dissertation" she needs to interview "more survivors."  He then calls her a "writer" when she insults him in bed. If she's working on a dissertation, I definitely think she's going for a PhD rather than MD. Still, who is she interviewing? Maybe she's going for a degree in Journalism? It would explain her detective skills, having to do interviews, and being a writer who never ever misspeaks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

You are correct.

I just re-watched both scenes. She says she's going for her doctorate and that in order to "qualify for a dissertation" she needs to interview "more survivors."  He then calls her a "writer" when she insults him in bed. If she's working on a dissertation, I definitely think she's going for a PhD rather than MD. Still, who is she interviewing? Maybe she's going for a degree in Journalism? It would explain her detective skills, having to do interviews, and being a writer who never ever misspeaks.

I think him calling her a "writer" is an accurate reflection, not of her job or studies, but of what her dumb-ass husband thinks she does all day. Totally fits the character. He doesn't know what a dissertation is or what she does on her laptop all day beyond 'writing'. Makes perfect sense. Great writing here by the screenwriter.

• Like 2

Sorry for the double post earlier. 

I wanted to let youn know that Google Lens identifies the “hard pink” hat  as this one and sends you to Walmart. $14.95 Walmart misidentified the color as “hot” pink, sadly. 

Now, I had melanoma and the doctor suggested I wear more hats/layers.   You need to protect yourself from UV radiation every day, and maybe I don’t want to bathe in chemical sunscreen each morning. 

Anyway, hats can be difficult to pull off. I do have a blush Panama hat and my sister called it a fedora once and I haven’t worn it since. There is a real stigma to a fedora. As, @grudlian. points out, this one isn’t a fedora either (trilby hats are usually made of inferior material to fedoras, and that one looks very cheap. Not going to give you good UPF at all.)  So Not is it a hard pink, it’s also a hard (as in difficult) hat. 

It was a real choice. And wearing it inside? Why? Imagine sitting behind her in class. 

• Like 5

After the model tells Pink Fedora (or Trilby) there weren't any camera crews on site for the shoot because it was being filmed from a plane, she goes on to explain that the audition for the gig was at a flight school so she just figured that it was being filmed as a promotional film. I am SUPER curious about what flight school she thinks would include aerial shots of people making out and being rubbed down with coconut oil as a part of their marketing materials.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

After the model tells Pink Fedora (or Trilby) there weren't any camera crews on site for the shoot because it was being filmed from a plane, she goes on to explain that the audition for the gig was at a flight school so she just figured that it was being filmed as a promotional film. I am SUPER curious about what flight school she thinks would include aerial shots of people making out and being rubbed down with coconut oil as a part of their marketing materials.

"Planes get you laid" seems like a convincing enough sales pitch. 

Speaking of sales pitches, Gonzo points out the only lucrative pilot jobs are commercial aircraft. Then ends his pitch saying something like "do you think you'll get to fly F18s with Tanya's school?"

You literally just said there's no money in military flying. No one even has that perception that the Air Force is a money maker. I get it's a sales pitch and he's switching from a logical to emotional appeal but this guy really is all over the place. I can't imagine the air force is putting people in F18s because they weren't to Gonzo flight school. 

• Like 4