🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AlmostAGhost

Unghouled Suggestions

I had 3 ideas I would immediately want to suggest:

Nosferatu

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Let The Right One In (the Swedish version)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Nosferatu

These are all really good. I can't say I really like Nosferatu outside of the makeup but it's still about as creepy a vampire image as we've seen on screen.

15 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

These are all really good. I can't say I really like Nosferatu outside of the makeup but it's still about as creepy a vampire image as we've seen on screen.

i feel like Frankenstein may be taking that early/1920s-1930s slot is my only concern with it.

i do think "horror" is way too broad of a genre for this. school was a pretty focused genre choice, they could've focused this down to like 'vampires' or 'slasher' or something. but i also imagine they'll do this theme every October.

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

i feel like Frankenstein may be taking that early/1920s-1930s slot is my only concern with it.

i do think "horror" is way too broad of a genre for this. school was a pretty focused genre choice, they could've focused this down to like 'vampires' or 'slasher' or something. but i also imagine they'll do this theme every October.

Frankenstein is a much better movie all around. I'd easily pick it over Nosferatu.

I agree that horror is extremely broad and themes would be beneficial. I don't know how focused I'd want it to be, but certainly more than five movies for an entire genre. Might as well make the next theme "comedy".

33 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Frankenstein is a much better movie all around. I'd easily pick it over Nosferatu.

I agree that horror is extremely broad and themes would be beneficial. I don't know how focused I'd want it to be, but certainly more than five movies for an entire genre. Might as well make the next theme "comedy".

I haven't seen the Frankenstein, but I do prefer as a pick too - I love that the classic Universal monster movies are being repped. They should definitely be looked at. 

Yea exactly. I think it's more fun to find greatness within a more narrow field. Like are these five movies related at all really? I guess we'll see. But I could easily start to see how all the #Unschooled movies worked and related and influenced each other as we went through them. But this feels like barely dipping your toe in the water.

Here's about a thousand suggestions.

http://theyshootzombies.com/ghf1000/1-100/

My recollection for BFI overlap (between 100-200) is The Shining, Don't Look Now, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

ETA: Videodrome was also 202 in the critics' poll.
I kind of don't feel like making a single suggestion, because while I want to point my finger at the '78 version of Bodysnatchers or Possession.  But that's hard to do, when obvious biggies like The Shining and The Exorcist, technically haven't been included or really considered yet.

Candyman!

I feel like the current wave of socially conscious horror is at least in part a result of its influence. For a while it had the reputation of just another supernatural slasher, and people watching it now are often shocked at how smart and relevant (and great) it is.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 5:34 PM, AlmostAGhost said:

Nosferatu

I take it that we’re no longer limiting ourselves to American films?

57 minutes ago, CaptainAmazing said:

I take it that we’re no longer limiting ourselves to American films?

That seems to be the new way. Last round had a French film, and the new round has an Australian film.

• Like 1

I can't believe Hausu is on that list. It's HDTGM material in how utterly crazy it is.

16 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I can't believe Hausu is on that list. It's HDTGM material in how utterly crazy it is.

It's not an uncommon misconception that Hausu is a bad film. But if you look at it, it is very stylishly bold in a way many other films fail to match, and it's knowingly campy and comic. It's basically Evil Dead 2 but with the mindset and tone coming from a 15 year old girl doing more of a straight comedy, than a 16 year old boy basically doing a comedy. (Both of which are very different than a Tobe Hooper doing a comedy...)

ETA: The Hausu being HDTGM material because it's so nuts is legit though. But if you look at it, I'd say if Evil Dead 2 wasn't as cultural well known, it would also be HDTGM material because of its crazy factor (which is an order of magnitude less crazy than Hausu - which is probably my favorite horror comedy).

ETAA: the poll question asked which movie would be the most interesting episode, not the movie I would put on a best-of list. I mean, in that case, Hausu....

I do have soft spot for "The Conjuring" - It is probably one of the only James Wan movies that actually scared me (A man in his mid forties at the time) YES it is a bit derivative of the Exorcist / Amityville Horror and is more or less a string of jump scares BUT it is such a well made derivative jump scare movie with amazing performances that sell them.

I really wish the first Evil Dead was a choice instead of 2. One aspect of the series I find interesting is how they soft-retcon a little bit of the story in each sequel and newcomers to the series will be missing out if they jump right into 2. Pairing one and 2 for one episode would've been great especially considering how short each is.

I realize that it’s too late to suggest new ones, but I’m going to pull a few off of my list anyway:

They Live

House on Haunted Hill (MUST be B&W version)

Cabin in the Woods

I realize it's too late to make a suggestion or two for this series (one of which, for me, would have been the deeply unsettling indie May from 2002), so I'd instead like to post two mixtapes I have on Mixcloud that feature the type of creepy, old-timey music Amy mentioned in the Frankenstein episode. It's interesting that the further our modern audio sensibilities get from the past, the creepier the limitations in recording quality of music from the past becomes. Your grandparents, however, might still really dig this shit.

The first mixtape is a 20 minute compilation E.P. that features the haunting, big band/swing diegetic background music from The Shining (plus the two versions of "Goodnight Sweet Heart" for good, spooky measure):

The second mixtape here features many songs by English musician Leyland Kirby, who, under the name The Caretaker, realized the inherent jeepers-creepers vibe of these vintage big band classics and decided to make them somehow even more jeepers-y-creepers-y; pretty much the soundtrack to urban exploring old, abandoned mental hospitals and such:

Happy Halloween!

I'm a fan of "May", but don't know if it's top 100 films of all time quality. The horror film I'd like to recommend to others is Zulawski's "Possession". That also probably wouldn't make it on, but people should still check it out.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

I'm a fan of "May", but don't know if it's top 100 films of all time quality.

Yeah, I agree. It totally stuck with me, though. Loneliness and alienation as the "scary monster" of the piece is, to me, more frightening than Hannibal Lector or Norman Bates will ever be.

For this list I'd pick The Terminator, which is nihilistic as all get out. Also, Zodiac. That film is chilling.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:21 PM, Blast Hardcheese said:

For this list I'd pick The Terminator, which is nihilistic as all get out. Also, Zodiac. That film is chilling.

The Terminator (a perfect movie, unlike the sequel) has a hopeful ending. Alien 3 is considerably more nihilistic. And Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is even more miserable than that.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this