🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
moblake

My Father the Hero (1994)

This is a movie I loved as a kid, I must have rented it every other weekend, but re-watching as an adult made me realize how SUPER CREEPY AND INSANE IT IS!

A young Katherine Heigl goes on vacation with her dad (played by Gerard Depardeiu, yeah, that's right). So she meets a guy and because she's embarrassed to be on vacation with her dad and wants to seem mature she decides its way better to tell him he's her LOVER... and they use the word LOVER, a lot. AND THEN HER DAD PLAYS ALONG WITH IT! SHE IS A TEENAGER PRETENDING TO HAVE A 40+ FRENCH LOVER!

Oh there is so much more, but that's the basics. I would honestly just love to hear what you guys have to say on this.

• Like 3

Bumping this thread up, because yes, this movie is beyond crazy. The ver premise is flawed, stupid, and insulting. This feels like a vanity project for Gerard. Like c'mon, man, you're 40+ and you think people are going to think you go out with sixteen-year-olds? It's fucking crazy. Also, I bet he walked around the set with his graying chest hairs sticking out trying to "teach" Heigel the "ways of love" or whatever French nonsense game he was putting down.

• Like 1

Never heard of this, but that premise alone... wow. Gross.

Bump cause this just got put on Netflix and is screaming to be done. The first conversation Katherine Heigl has with her love interest in the movie has enough going on to fill an episode.

• Like 2

Thanks to Netflix, I just watched this again for the first time in 15-20 years (I thought it was hilarious as a kid). All I could hear was June's voice in my head saying "This is SO upsetting!"

Best scene is when he starts playing "Thank heaven for little girls" on the piano and all the patrons started walking out since the entire island thought he was a sex offender. Pretty awesome.

• Like 1

A teenage Katherine Heigl plays a 14-year-old girl who pretends her father is her boyfriend in order to impress a guy.... how has this not been done yet?? AND it's on Netflix.

Am I fucking crazy or does he continue the charade even after he finds out? And wasnt Katherine like 16 in this movie and the dude shes going after is like 25 at least. So not only does she make her father appear to be a child molester. She also wants to make the guy shes going after to be guilty of statutory rape by bullshitting about her age to him.

Theres so much wrong with this movie its really hard to quantify in words.

Yes! He becomes an active participant in this creepy ass scheme. Bonus points for absurdity: The soundtrack is done by the Baha Men.

OK. I just fully watched this whole thing. This movie could be the focus of the next ten episodes and they still wouldn't be able to fully discuss everything wrong with this movie.

From the lingering shot of a young Katherine Heigl in a thong. To her describing herself as a junkie with a prostitute mother to make herself seem more attractive to a guy playing 17 years old but is easily in his twenties. Or the ending which involves him helping his 14 year old daughter land a guy she won't be able to legally date after his next birthday.

I really want them to do this movie, at the same time this movie really is just fucking gross, and I could see June being legitimately bummed watching it.

This, like LOL, seems like it would somehow make much more sense in the original French version than the American remake.

I just noticed this was recently added to Netflix and remembered hating it when I was young. I don't recall much other than the main plot, Gerard Depardieu being convinced by his teenage daughter to pretend to be her much older boyfriend so she can impress a boy. By doing a quick search I learned it's a remake of the french original and loses most of the charm in translation and is just weird.

I just noticed this was recently added to Netflix and remembered hating it when I was young. I don't recall much other than the main plot, Gerard Depardieu being convinced by his teenage daughter to pretend to be her much older boyfriend so she can impress a boy. By doing a quick search I learned it's a remake of the french original and loses most of the charm in translation and is just weird.

When i watched this a few months back both my wife and I were blown away with how creepy it is when Gérard sings Thank Heavens for Little Girls.

Subtext of the movie aside, that song is extremely questionable in its own right.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever seen this terrible movie from 1994? It has a young Katherine Heigl as the daughter of Gerard Depardieu. She has to go on vacation with her dad and is mad about it so she tells everyone at the resort that he is really her lover. She uses those words about her dad. Lover. She is doing this to impress a younger guy at the resort. She leads all these people to think that her father is a pedophile. When he finds out, he goes along with it. This movie gives me the creeps. And its a Disney movie! This is not family entertainment. This is gross.

• Like 1

For some reason I loved this movie when I was a kid. Watched it as an adult and honestly I must have been really naive because this movie is just creepy and gross.

I have never seen the appeal of Gerard Depardieu. Not even in Greencard when I'm supposed to find him charming. Just no.

The whole premise of this movie is basically a running gag that the French are perverts (how many times do they throw out that it's so french). Katherine plays the epitome of an entitled, privileged brat. So much so that to make herself seem more interesting to a boy she says her mom was a drug addicted prostitute and that her father is her pimp. Think about that for a second.

I second the grossness of the director who thought that sexualizing a fourteen year old girl is hilarious or having Depardieu singing 'Thank Heaven for Little Girls' while the onlookers leave in disgust is a super clever joke. Yep...pedo jokes always a crowd favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqgeKGoJjig

BUMP for this crazy movie. Can’t think of a creepier plot.

I feel like they would have to discuss whether or not Gerard Depardieu was a sex symbol of the 90’s.