🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Ep 250 — Under the Cherry Moon

I agree u all must watch P.R. & Graffiti Bridge (which in my opinion is the worst of all, but its Prince so I am still obsessed with it. When he passed i got a phrase from the song mountains tattooed on my arm with his signature.  (BTW I am writing with his abbreviations 2 save space & cuz its cool. Lol Also, there is the concert move Sign of the Times.

I am a deep  Prince Fam (he asked us 2 not say fan because it comes from the work fanatic & has a negative tone). I have sooo many things I could say being a local MN girl who grew up in the 80s & spent many nights just trying 2 be where he was.

UTCM is close 2 my heart cuz my friend won tickets 2 the local premiere that played in a tiny theater downtown St Paul. We even went 2 the after party but being so young & having a curfew we didn't stay which is one of my big regrets (I have many). I have another really special story that happened a few weeks later that I regret not having a camera for...oh the 80s!!

Anyway, with the many times I have seen the film and the knowledge I have from people at the time, here are some of my thoughts....

There was NO chemistry between Prince & KST. She wasn't feeling him at all. So during the kissing on the boat you can actually see her disgust & forcing herself to kiss him back. I think she was a great actress because she is a good actress but recasting to someone that had more chemistry probably would have been better imo.

His relationship with Tricky, I don't think it was supposed 2 be sexual but they loved each other & were life long friends. But I did wonder if it was more 4 Tricky!? He has a lot of emotional moments where he is hurt by Christopher's actions. Where he is jealous of Mary. At least that's how I saw it, he wasn't mad at Christopher 4 getting Mary but more mad that Mary was taking him away. The song Sometimes it Snows in April that plays at the end shows the love from Tricky's perspective.  But careful...since Prince left this planet in April that song will tear u apart 2 listen to & has become THE hardest song 4 fams!

I think also that Tricky was the money guy cuz Christopher is a wild thing that can't be tamed & he had no time or patience 2 figure it all out.

The car scene where Christopher is in the back seat silent,  I feel like at that age this is EXACTLY how Prince would tell a woman he cared 4 her. My fav scene is the tub where he leaves the phone msg. I could watch him in a tub speaking in that romantic tone again & again! Lol

Also the black/white filming was Prince's idea & although he was fought on it he won. It was actually filmed in color & there is a color version out there. Prince was dating Susanna Melvoin at the time & he was madly in love with her. She was there in France the whole time & talks about it in interviews.  In fact, he proposed 2 her but she eventually broke it off & broke his heart. Check out the song Empty Room 2 hear the pain from that relationship.

4 those that don't know, the silliness in the film IS Prince. Besides being mysterious,  sexual, giving,  & sometimes scary, he loved 2 prank people & joke around.  Google the  gangster glam video where he is rollerskating ! You're welcome!

• Like 1

Also, favorite song!? There is no way yo pick one. I mean you have to decide what you want to hear first...jazz, classical, r&b. Rock, gospel,  pop and THEN narrow it down from there. Lol

But lately I listen to this one a lot...

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 1:56 AM, Blast Hardcheese said:

Paul, you and June MUST watch Purple Rain. It's a great, albeit slightly flawed film that also features Morris Day (who almost steals the show). However, if and when you guys watch this movie, it must be a double feature that also includes the sequel Graffiti Bridge, which I guarantee will floor you beyond anything you've witnessed in Under the Cherry Moon. Graffiti Bridge, Paul: I shit you not.

@Blast Hardcheese, should I buy Graffiti Bridge? I’m looking at it real hard...

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 5:42 PM, Cameron H. said:

A couple months back, a bunch of us forum folks watched and discussed Purple Rain, and something that struck me watching that movie, and something that continues in Cherry Moon, is that Prince seemed to be  completely unafraid of coming off as the bad guy in movies that centered around him. This is especially evident in Purple Rain where his character, The Kid, is extremely flawed and problematic. I think it would be tempting for a musician at the height of their fame to want to be portrayed on film as a sort of idealized version of themselves, and I find it absolutely fascinating that Prince was unafraid to play the more unsavory characters and allow his co-stars to play the moral centers.

Similarly, as discussed in the podcast, I always think it's endearing when celebrities allow themselves to come off as goofballs. Especially for someone like Prince dabbles with artifice. It's an interesting juxtaposition to see someone who is both acutely aware of their carefully calculated image and also doesn't really seem to care if that image is slightly tarnished.  

Honestly, the more I think about Prince, the more I like him.       

I will still never be over that woman being thrown in a dumpster 

• Like 1

I was listening to this episode while driving, and I nearly had to pull off the road when Jason name-checked "Sexy Motherfucker" as also being a Prince song.

I certainly don't think that's his "best" song, but it's certainly one of my favorites, it's just so over the top raunchy even for Prince, I laugh out loud every time I hear it (or even think about it, to be honest.)

On 10/10/2020 at 6:42 PM, Cameron H. said:

A couple months back, a bunch of us forum folks watched and discussed Purple Rain, and something that struck me watching that movie, and something that continues in Cherry Moon, is that Prince seemed to be  completely unafraid of coming off as the bad guy in movies that centered around him. This is especially evident in Purple Rain where his character, The Kid, is extremely flawed and problematic. I think it would be tempting for a musician at the height of their fame to want to be portrayed on film as a sort of idealized version of themselves, and I find it absolutely fascinating that Prince was unafraid to play the more unsavory characters and allow his co-stars to play the moral centers.

Similarly, as discussed in the podcast, I always think it's endearing when celebrities allow themselves to come off as goofballs. Especially for someone like Prince dabbles with artifice. It's an interesting juxtaposition to see someone who is both acutely aware of their carefully calculated image and also doesn't really seem to care if that image is slightly tarnished.  

Ever since Russell Crowe pointed this out in an interview (referring to Tom Cruise), that has always been a benchmark for me - is an actor willing to look like the bad guy or be unlikeable to the audience? That's the difference (or a difference) between an actor and a star.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I haven't watched the movie, but I remember not liking the soundtrack. It was the first Prince album I wasn't really feeling.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 2:42 PM, Cameron H. said:

That's the thing that I can't figure out about Prince. Is he allowing himself to be the bad guy, or does he actually think these characters are likable? My first impression is the latter, but then there are so many weird comedy bits that it's hard to know how seriously he takes any of this.

• Like 1

I'm gonna say Purple Rain is the better movie because it has more actual musical performances in it. Sometimes it seems like they forgot to include those in Under the Cherry Moon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

The graffiti bridge of Graffiti Bridge looks like the production stole it from a high school musical and plopped it onto a brightly lit sound stage (akin to those early episodes of TNG when the crew beams down to a planet that is bright and flat and limited in range). So yes: buy this movie!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

That's the thing that I can't figure out about Prince. Is he allowing himself to be the bad guy, or does he actually think these characters are likable? My first impression is the latter, but then there are so many weird comedy bits that it's hard to know how seriously he takes any of this.

I agree with you. I'm basing this on fans of his movies more than what he's said as I've never heard him really comment on his movies. I suspect Prince found these characters charming and endearing. If you knew these characters in real life, ugh, you wouldn't want to know them. If someone other than Prince were playing these guys, we might be describing them as "brats" instead of "rascals." Prince is just so charismatic in real life that he can't not be watchable on some level. 

2 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

I'm gonna say Purple Rain is the better movie because it has more actual musical performances in it. Sometimes it seems like they forgot to include those in Under the Cherry Moon.

Purple Rain is the best of all Prince movies because it also has Morris Day and the Time.

4 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Purple Rain is the best of all Prince movies because it also has Morris Day and the Time.

Graffiti Bridge also has Morris Day And The Time.

• Like 1

Why France? - Well the title of the accompanying album is Parade, taken from at Erik Satire ballet which had a set designed by Picasso and scenario from Jean Cocteau.

(When you've already won recorded music, live shows and the movie box office -- where else would he look for inspiration?)  That ballet is a surrealist work, as is this film.

Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuZ4DYywqpw

There's also a fully orchestrated version of the album in Prince's vault that's yet to be heard.

#FunFact2

Prince used Martin Scorsese's cinematographer, so Michael Ballhaus shot this for Prince and then later... Goodfellas

So does anyone know why this is called Under the Cherry Moon? I saw nothing about cherries or moons or being under them.

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

I agree with you. I'm basing this on fans of his movies more than what he's said as I've never heard him really comment on his movies. I suspect Prince found these characters charming and endearing. If you knew these characters in real life, ugh, you wouldn't want to know them. If someone other than Prince were playing these guys, we might be describing them as "brats" instead of "rascals." Prince is just so charismatic in real life that he can't not be watchable on some level. 

Prince seems to have a weird idea that acting like a 10-year-old makes grown women fall in love with you. I guess it worked for him!

32 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

So does anyone know why this is called Under the Cherry Moon? I saw nothing about cherries or moons or being under them.

?format=1500w

• Like 4