🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Episode 251 — Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo

Am I the only one who thought Believe in the Beat, the song played at the end of the movie is a complete ripoff (at least melodically) to What a Feeling?  Every time that song started, I thought it was going to be What a Feeling.

What’s interesting is that What a Feeling was a prominent song in Flashdance and it was the breakdancing scene in Flashdance that gave the Cannon Group the idea to make a movie centered around the dance form.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Was it just me, or did Turbo somehow heal a broken leg in roughly 36 hours' time? His leg is in a cast and elevated in the hospital bed, but then later that day he's out there dancing with the crowd.

Is Turbo an X-Man?

Not only did he heal in 36 hours, he had coordinated the sock underneath the cast with the one on his other foot and the giant one over the top.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hornacek said:

Regarding the safety of the Miracles building, the only reason the viewer would think it was unsafe is because the evil developer tells the bald inspector that it's unsafe when he's trying to convince him to foreclose on the building.  It's pretty obvious from that conversation that the developer is just making that up because the bald inspector needs a reason to put on the form as to why the building is being foreclosed.  When Ozone is giving Kelly a tour we don't see anything in any of the rooms indicating the building is unsafe - everything looks fine.  June appears to be basing her entire belief that the building is unsafe on the evil developer saying it is, even though he's never been inside of it.

I disagree. As a disabled person I would never be able to get into the building. I struggle with stairs. I have friends with walkers and they couldn't use those steps either. How are we supposed to get inside? This building is not accessible. While the movie takes place before the Americans With Disabilities Act passed I'm still calling their asses out because they preach being a place for all the community. Disabled people are part of your community. We want to take part in your classes too, just in ones that accommodate us. Which you CAN do. We can pop and lock too! We just might need breaks.

Also given the age of the building I'm going to guess that it was made with asbestos and painted with lead paint. Both things you have to be careful about when remodeling. Children are extremely susceptible to lead poisoning . It becomes dangerous when kids chew on lead paint chips (which god knows what children will put in their mouth) , mouthable surfaces like painted mouldings, OR INHALE LEAD DUST FROM FLOOR CRACKS FOR INSTANCE. The kind of dust you might constantly be making while dancing?  

Given that the building had sat neglected for years what about water damage or termites? I don't know if I just have anxiety and see danger everywhere but that building could potentially be full of issues that your average DIYer would not be aware of. I'm not saying that it should be torn down but I agree it should be looked over and brought up to code if it's going to be used as a place for children to go and learn.

• Like 3

In spontaneous dance combat, how does one determine who wins? It seems to me that two people will dance at each other for a bit and then suddenly one of them will throw themselves onto the roof of a car or something like they've been telekinetically flung. Is it simply a matter honor?    

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 11:34 PM, DannytheWall said:

Things moved so quickly from scene to scene that the editor stood over the editing bay and played it like a scratch record. One minute someone's dancing on the ceiling, then his love interest walks in the door. Another time he's fleeing the hospital in a cast, and the next he's getting a mob of friends to cut it off so he can quick-change into the costume for the dance routine. I know there's supposed to be a 30-day time frame here, but if you told me the movie took place over three days, I say that feels about right.   

Yeah, this movie really suffered from ADHD.  At one point in the movie, within about a 30 second period the film goes from focusing on the love triangle between Kelly, Ozone, and the other girl, to the conflict between Ozone and Kelly over her leaving for Paris, to the conflict involving the rival dance gang.  It’s like pick a plot and stick with it.

"I disagree. As a disabled person I would never be able to get into the building. I struggle with stairs. I have friends with walkers and they couldn't use those steps either. How are we supposed to get inside? This building is not accessible. While the movie takes place before the Americans With Disabilities Act passed"  You shot a hole in your argument right there.  At the time the film was made (and is set), it's before that Act, so this building could get built without having any ramps.  Besides, the evil guy is not talking about disabled access to the building - he's saying the building is unsafe for *everyone*.  So even if you accept that he's basing this argument on lack of ramps, that wouldn't fly.

"Also given the age of the building I'm going to guess that it was made with asbestos and painted with lead paint. Both things you have to be careful about when remodeling."  Again, at the time this film was mde/set, asbestos or lead paint were not things that building inspectors were demolishing buildings for.

"Given that the building had sat neglected for years what about water damage or termites?"  How do you know it's been neglected for years?  Based on what we see in the movie, it's been in use by the community for quite awhile.  Nothing is said in the film that this building has only been in use as a community center for a short period of time - in fact, based on what we see, it appears that it's been used for this purpose for years.