🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cinco DeNio

Musical Mondays Week 104 The Guest

17 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Not sure about high school. My son is 8. Did you go in or was it a car line? Public school car lines are probably pretty loosey-goosey. My son’s school (which is admittedly pretty small) requires any person picking up a child, that’s not immediate family, to be prearranged and approved. The people who help with car line recognize all the parents, so they probably wouldn’t have allowed you to do that. I’ve seen them stop kids from getting in cars with people they don’t recognize.

Hm haven't done the car line. I guess I've always walked in. One time I signed them out, but that was when I got them from an after-school program a couple hours after school had finished. Another time, it was right at the end of school, I waited at the gate with a mass of parents, walked in to the yard when the bell rang/gate opened, they found me and we walked out and home. I wonder if I flaunted the rules now haha. But it was a pretty chaotic scene! They're similar age as your son, I think they were 7 and 9 when I did this a year or so ago.

• Like 1

When I tried to volunteer at a school to tutor I had to ALWAYS sign in .They were very strict about that.  I'm pretty sure in high school you had to be on a form to be able to pick us up in the daytime like if say I got sick and my grandma needed to come get me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

It’s certainly been more of a conversation-starter than I initially thought! Just to further confound those who didn’t like it, it got a 90% on RT AND 76% on Metacritic. That’s how I heard of it, by reading about it.

#fakenews

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Or something! I think the movie mistakes Stevens being clean cut and handsome for charisma.

It worked for me. He's pretty good looking.

I think the initial point of the movie is a weird take on how veterans and families of veterans are screwed over. Dave is their son and they are his family since he can't return home. It's not that Dave is charming, it's that Dave fills the void of the dead son. So, they accept him regardless of logical response to a stranger or his charisma.

They kind of dump that idea after half an hour (at least for the audience) because we know he's evil once the father's coworker dies and he attacked the kids in the bar. By then, I think the movie wants us to think of Dave as this weird, programmed weapon in a Rambo First Blood "look what they did to me" way.

I don't think the movie accomplishes either of these goals, but I think that's what they are aiming for. I think they were trying to elevate an action thriller as opposed to, again, First Blood with is trying to make a action thriller out of a drama on vets returning home (although, I don't think First Blood totally accomplished it's goal either).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

It worked for me. He's pretty good looking.

I think the initial point of the movie is a weird take on how veterans and families of veterans are screwed over. Dave is their son and they are his family since he can't return home. It's not that Dave is charming, it's that Dave fills the void of the dead son. So, they accept him regardless of logical response to a stranger or his charisma.

They kind of dump that idea after half an hour (at least for the audience) because we know he's evil once the father's coworker dies and he attacked the kids in the bar. By then, I think the movie wants us to think of Dave as this weird, programmed weapon in a Rambo First Blood "look what they did to me" way.

I don't think the movie accomplishes either of these goals, but I think that's what they are aiming for. I think they were trying to elevate an action thriller as opposed to, again, First Blood with is trying to make a action thriller out of a drama on vets returning home (although, I don't think First Blood totally accomplished it's goal either).

No, I get that. I was (mostly) joking. My point was exactly what you’re saying. I get what they were trying to do, I just don’t think it worked. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

No, I get that. I was (mostly) joking. My point was exactly what you’re saying. I get what they were trying to do, I just don’t think it worked. 

I get that you were joking but I agree with you. They needed to emphasize their main theme more or give us a a bit more to not question this scenario. Or not contradict themselves with a second half that says "welcoming home veterans will kill you because they are programmed weapons."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

That’s what I mean. The movie tells us that he’s charmed us, but for this to work, not only does he need to charm them, he needs to charm the audience. I mean, maybe he did for some?

I don’t know. I’m notoriously hard to impress. I don’t trust anyone who jogs for miles, but doesn’t sweat a drop. 

I found him psychotically charming, but I’m also psychotic, so make of that what you will. Anyone who carves pumpkins with a butterfly knife is OK in my book. Especially if he gifts that knife to a minor!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomspanks said:

#fakenews

Given how much we’ve heard that phrase and I’m sure are about to hear it 10X as much  AFTER the election, I don’t think I ever want to hear or see it again.

Although there is a fake news toilet paper roll at my parents’ house that you can wipe your ass with.

2 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Given how much we’ve heard that phrase and I’m sure are about to hear it 10X as much  AFTER the election, I don’t think I ever want to hear or see it again.

#MakeMovieReviewsGreatAgain

Better? 😜

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomspanks said:

#MakeMovieReviewsGreatAgain

Better? 😜

Yes.

Your beef is with Amy Nicholson now.😁

5 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

What’s Professor McGonagall doing in Downton Abbey?? Is the Abbey in Diagon Alley?

I would say it's the other way around.

Its dumb but I really liked the sister's diner outfit. I know that's weird but no diners near me have cute uniforms ( that probably itch and are awful but let me have the fantasy!) And frankly after years of tv and film telling me they would I feel a bit sad. I liked the color combo! Very peppy. Also sidenote on the topic if costumes no woman I know sleeps in underwear and thigh highs. That's... Not a thing.  Sure sleep in underwear I guess but unless those are the socks you wore that day and you were exhausted and just passed out I don't know anyone who's rocking bedtime thigh highs. I myself now have a good sized  collection of very cute (very pricey) pj sets. Because pandemic. Can I go outside? No but I cam wear shorts with beach dogs

• Like 4

17 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

I found him psychotically charming, but I’m also psychotic, so make of that what you will. Anyone who carves pumpkins with a butterfly knife is OK in my book. Especially if he gifts that knife to a minor!

Is that not the traditional "Thank you for letting me stay in your home " gift? All the family's children get knives?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

Is that not the traditional "Thank you for letting me stay in your home " gift? All the family's children get knives?

Yes, I believe that is an American custom. Once a child is able to grasp an object, you are obligated to give them an age-appropriate pointy thing if you are a guest in said household.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Yes, I believe that is an American custom. Once a child is able to grasp an object, you are obligated to give them an age-appropriate pointy thing if you are a guest in said household.

I was going to make a very un-PC joke but managed to stop myself.  YOU'RE WELCOME.

• Like 4

I thought this movie was pretty great. Darkly funny in the right spots and Dan Stevens was perfect for the role.  Liked that they didn't hold back once he finally went on his rampage. Also that final shot made me bust up!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

Its dumb but I really liked the sister's diner outfit. I know that's weird but no diners near me have cute uniforms ( that probably itch and are awful but let me have the fantasy!) And frankly after years of tv and film telling me they would I feel a bit sad. I liked the color combo! Very peppy. Also sidenote on the topic if costumes no woman I know sleeps in underwear and thigh highs. That's... Not a thing.  Sure sleep in underwear I guess but unless those are the socks you wore that day and you were exhausted and just passed out I don't know anyone who's rocking bedtime thigh highs. I myself now have a good sized  collection of very cute (very pricey) pj sets. Because pandemic. Can I go outside? No but I cam wear shorts with beach dogs

Lily James in Baby Driver had a uniform but I wouldn't call it cute.  Maybe uniforms are making a comeback? If so they're going in the wrong direction.

19da970bea742e94fc8f97bbdb8f058a.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Lily James in Baby Driver had a uniform but I wouldn't call it cute.  Maybe uniforms are making a comeback? If so they're going in the wrong direction.

19da970bea742e94fc8f97bbdb8f058a.jpg

Well the fit is awful for starters. It looks like a costume out of a bag. At least Sister's (I absolutely did not learn anyone's name. They are Angry Matthew Crowley, Sad Dad, Xanax mom, Brother, and Sister to me) looked lie somewhat real clothing not something from Spirit Halloween. Or if it was a costume a better grade version you know? It literally still looks wrinkled from the bag.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

Well the fit is awful for starters. It looks like a costume out of a bag. At least Sister's (I absolutely did not learn anyone's name. They are Angry Matthew Crowley, Sad Dad, Xanax mom, Brother, and Sister to me) looked lie somewhat real clothing not something from Spirit Halloween. Or if it was a costume a better grade version you know? It literally still looks wrinkled from the bag.

Maybe it's just me, but from what I can see, wrinkled uniforms = cute

• Like 3

Off-topic: Amazon Prime stinks. I browse to find movies to watch andfound one from 2020. Pull it up on IMDB and it was released in 2011!!!

• Like 2

Hey all! It's been brought to my attention that it's my pick next week. 😳 I was just wondering, for future reference, what streaming/premium services do you all have? I know things still aren't great for a lot of people, and I'm trying not to pick anything that would put people out of pocket. I have a few picks, but if for instance I know most people have Amazon Video rather than, say, HBO or something, I'll pick something from there. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO.  But I don't mind renting a movie for a couple of bucks as long as Dan Stevens isn't in it (I kid, I kid).

• Like 2

I only have Netflix. Spending a few bucks is no big deal to rent it is no big deal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Off-topic: Amazon Prime stinks. I browse to find movies to watch andfound one from 2020. Pull it up on IMDB and it was released in 2011!!!

Amazon has some good shows and has produced  some good movies, but as a former Borders employee and independent book store lover, I hate their business model. Plus, not a Bezos fan.

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Hey all! It's been brought to my attention that it's my pick next week. 😳 I was just wondering, for future reference, what streaming/premium services do you all have? I know things still aren't great for a lot of people, and I'm trying not to pick anything that would put people out of pocket. I have a few picks, but if for instance I know most people have Amazon Video rather than, say, HBO or something, I'll pick something from there. 

Thanks!

Above comments said, I am quar’ing with my parents who do have Prime, so I’m not immune to piggybacking on their account. I have access to Netflix the same way, but have Hulu and HBO Max subscriptions. Also, my library is connected to Hoopla and Kanopy (both awesome free services).

• Like 2

Netflix recommendation: been enjoying The Queen’s Gambit. 2 eps in. Have been watching it with my parents,

• Like 1