🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
sycasey 2.0

Raising Arizona

Raising Arizona  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Does Raising Arizona go in the space capsule?

• ✅ *sob* I love him so muuuuuch!
    • ❌ Son, you got a panty on your head.

unspooled-raising-arizona.jpg

Paul & Amy raise up 1987’s Coen Brothers kidnapping caper Raising Arizona! They track the secret references to other Coen projects, learn why they thought of a baby as an “emotional squib,” and ask why Hi and Ed are so lovable despite committing an awful crime. Plus: discovering Nic Cage’s thoughts on babies.

This is the first episode in our Kinspooled series on “effed up families”; next week’s film is Tokyo Story! Learn more about the show at unspooledpod.com follow us on Twitter @unspooled and Instagram @unspooledpod, and don’t forget to rate, review & subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher and Spotify. You can also apply to be a guest on our upcoming game show Screen Test at unspooledpod@gmail.com! Photo credit: Kim Troxall

If it were up to me, I'd probably send like 15 Coen Brothers movies into space.

Since it's not, this isn't my choice to do so, even though I recognize it's greatness. (I currently place it as the 11th-best Coen film.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

If it were up to me, I'd probably send like 15 Coen Brothers movies into space.

Since it's not, this isn't my choice to do so, even though I recognize it's greatness. (I currently place it as the 11th-best Coen film.)

I basically agree with this. I see all of its virtues, and I think there's something to be said for it as the first movie that truly crystallizes what people recognize as the "Coen style." But there are several Coen comedies I enjoy more. It's a purely subjective thing.

• Like 1

This is a pretty easy no for me. I like the Coen brothers a lot but I definitely prefer their dramatic stuff to their comedies (except Lebowski or O Brother which I love). For much of this, I don't really laugh even though I kind of like the jokes in theory. The last time I watched this, the only time I honestly laughed was Sam McMurray asking "does the pope wear a funny hat?" and Nicolas Cage giving a very serious "yeah, it is sort of funny."

Finally finished the ep. I'm not really sure I agree with Paul & Amy's takes on the Coens in general (beyond their being awesome). To knock Big Lebowski for not having the emotional notes of Raising Arizona isn't fair, as that's the point of Lebowski. The Coens sometimes try to write "pointless", if that's the right word. That's their aim with a number of their movies. And if you really want emotional pathos mixed with humor, there's other Coens that do it just as strongly (Llewyn Davis, O Brother, even Fargo). The difference to me between films is the type of humor, not the level of pathos. Arizona is much more cartoony than those, while quite often their humor skews very dry. That's why I don't think Arizona is where you should start with the Coens, if you're new. It's cartoonish levels are elevated quite high compared to just about everything else they've done (except maybe Ladykillers). 

I would also argue that Lebowski does strike some emotional notes during Donnie's death and subsequent funeral scene.

22 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

I would also argue that Lebowski does strike some emotional notes during Donnie's death and subsequent funeral scene.

yea definitely. though i get on a superficial level it's 'stealing a baby' vs. 'finding a rug', one is clearly more emotionally resonant. but i don't see how that's a knock against Lebowski. i think it was purposeful, to find a story that feels frivolous. actually that's what the Coens do best! a seemingly trivial occurrence triggering a whole world of drama/comedy/whatever.

Sign in to follow this