🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 164 — Clifton Was Here

Here's a pic with the girls for those asking..

Bring out the girls....

I loved it. Clifton's stories and tasteless jokes were great and Schwartz is the best "left hand man" Scott has ever had. If the Choctaw ever needs a guest host, I'd nominate Ben.

• Like 5

Yeah, Ben was great as usual, and I thought it was a fun episode. All the holes that everyone has poked in the Clifton thing might be accurate, but that didn't make the stories any less interesting. I always thought that he was intentionally hacky, too, but I still get a chuckle out of most of those jokes. Overall, a nice change-of-pace episode.

I just wish the Scottabot hadn't been so lax with the WYR rules.

• Like 1

I think the best Tony Clifton thing (for me) was the little known 'People's Court'-esque show he did called 'Stormy Justice with Tony Clifton'. - I bought it on ebay from a seller who claimed to be Zmuda's ex.

I finally found it online - Worth a watch for any Clifton fan.

http://ubu.com/film/kaufman_stormy.html

"Beer and Socks are the names of my cats!"

Scott looks just ecstatic to be in that picture above.

• Like 1

Have Wittels and Schwartz ever been on the same episode? They could have a charming co-host off!

• Like 6

I had to do some serious research to "get" this episode, but I think it was worth it. I mean, from my perspective, Clifton is a character that isn't supposed to be funny. He's supposed to screw with your mind. Kaufman was the ultimate prankster, and the fact that we're still confused by Clfton's presence means that he's a pretty amazing creation.

Have Wittels and Schwartz ever been on the same episode? They could have a charming co-host off!

Well played, sir. But I see your Schwartz and Wittles and raise you a Mantzoukas!

(All three are tied in my book for Best Co-Host.)

• Like 5

I raise both of you a Tompkins(when not in character) as an equally charming co-host! :)

Frankly, I think it's time for Mr. Clifton to get his tongue stapled to the floor. I'm glad he's part of a dying generation. Can't believe you gave him so much time to express his ignorant racism. I felt bad for Ben who was great. Wrong choice of guest!

I think the best Tony Clifton thing (for me) was the little known 'People's Court'-esque show he did called 'Stormy Justice with Tony Clifton'. - I bought it on ebay from a seller who claimed to be Zmuda's ex.

I finally found it online - Worth a watch for any Clifton fan.

http://ubu.com/film/...man_stormy.html

Holy shit, I can't believe I've never even heard of this! Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

I started listening to the episode on my commute, and was thinking "Why is Scott letting this guy be such a racist, sexist, anti-Semitic asshole? Who is this guy, he's not even funny. Why did they release this episode, no-one comes out of this looking good?"

Then I got back home in the middle of the episode, paused it, looked up Tony Clifton, found out he was a character, and unpaused the episode. After that point, I liked it - "This is such a great character. A searing deconstruction and mockery of racist, sexist, and anti-Semitic attitudes!"

But... nothing about the character had changed, just my awareness that it was a character. It wasn't, or didn't seem to me, to be clearly or subtly mocking/parodying racism/sexism/anti-Semitism - there was nothing in the performance to clue me into the fact that it wasn't real, like with the Seth Morris radio show host or Huell Howser. Unless there was some nuance I missed, the only 'joke' is that it's a fully-realised person, but that the person isn't real.

So is it OK to have (for all intents and purposes) a racist, sexist guy on the show as long as (probably) a minority of listeners understand that the meta-joke is that he's just pretending? Should comics get a free pass on bigoted jokes/ humour as long as the audience understands that they don't mean it really? I really don't know. Or maybe I'm just a comedy nerd who's over-thinking it.

Also, first time I've been 'tricked' into thinking a character was real! (Bar PFT as John C. Reilly, which I don't count).

• Like 2

I'm wondering if the show is picking up new viewers from the TV show? The only reason I ask is it seems like an unusual number of people took the Tony Clifton character and the Burning Love characters last week seriously as real people. I'm guessing it's new listeners? Pretty much every episode of CDR/CBB has in-character guests showing up. Not trying to be rude, just genuinely curious what's up in the past two weeks and if it's related to the television show.

Very likely. As newcomers enter into the world of CBB and begin to figure out the show, I'm reminded of the first few episodes I listened to and why I love this podcast so much. Veteran listeners sometimes forget what it's like to spend a significant part of each show getting a feel for the pace and format of CBB, or learning the nuances of unfamiliar characters. After a few listens, you begin to feel more a part of the club.

• Like 1

Fascinating. I got it and I get it.

That said, this episode proved what I already knew: Ben Schwartz is amazing.

The "Clifton" interview aside (wonderful. imo), Schwartz is not only hilarious, but he is A+. Every podcast he's been on, be it on an Earwolf or others, he just seems so kind, as he regularly inquires and praises others and those interviewing him. He might not know he's doing it or maybe he just has ridiculously good manners,

Regardless, I think Ben Schwartz is a great. He's done great things, he's doing great things, and I hope he does sooo many more great things. He's the kind of person that one wants to root for. It's lovely when nice people are successful.

Wow, I haven't even listened to this episode yet and it is already controversial.

I don't know where I stand on Andy Kaufman's work. I get the idea and point he is trying to make but I don't find it funny nor that clever. Maybe it's a byproduct of being born after he died and growing up with a completely different understanding of comedy that makes it more annoying then comedy. I find the same with Richard Pryor; a great comedian but I listen to his albums and it simply hasn't aged well and the humour is a product of his time.

Man, I couldn't get through this episode. It really bummed me out. Ben Schwartz is great, as always. But I'm really surprised Scott let Zmuda be on the show like this.

I was expecting the full-blown Tony Clifton to walk into the studio, just like any other character and just do the CBB thing. Instead, Scott and Ben do a mini-episode (complete with a game) and then a over-the-top introduction of "Tony Clifton", which is actually just Bob Zmuda telling Andy Kaufman stories.

Either commit to the Tony Clifton character or just come on the show as yourself. I have no problem with Bob retelling the same stories that he told on WTF a couple months back. I think they're genuinely interesting stories and I'm sure there's many CBB listeners who don't listen to WTF. But to be Bob for 90% of the time, and then slightly change the inflection of your voice to tell a black/jew joke...sorry, but it's jarring and quite lame.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of the "hey, you don't have to listen if you don't like it." Which is why I bailed out of it. But I'm just really curious why Scott chose to do it this way.

They can't all be homeruns. CBB is still one of the best things around.

Peace.

• Like 1