🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 164 — Clifton Was Here

He should have Neil Hamburger on but then 90% of the time have Gregg Turkington telling stories about being in Zip Code Rapists. Ok I'm done. Sorry.

I love what Scott is doing. He is really going to the roots of comedy of late, and hitting all these angles that are fully out of the mainstream. This is what CBB (and CDR) were all about. Just going for it. The fact that Earwolf is now becoming commercially successful (seriously, think about all the ads and all the things Earwolf stars are now in) but he is going even deeper into the rabbit hole makes me no end of happy. This is brillant.

Tony Clifton is a real person, with a lot of stroke in the entertainment industry, and Bob Zmuda is a character that he has played for a long time. The student became the master.

...and, of course, on this episode Tony is playing the character of a version of himself that is fully one with Bob Zmuda.

Very likely. As newcomers enter into the world of CBB and begin to figure out the show, I'm reminded of the first few episodes I listened to and why I love this podcast so much. Veteran listeners sometimes forget what it's like to spend a significant part of each show getting a feel for the pace and format of CBB, or learning the nuances of unfamiliar characters. After a few listens, you begin to feel more a part of the club.

I really thought that guy tried to kill himself with that heavy coat.

For real, though, I actually thought Bjork was going to be on an episode. Once Besser starting doing it, I obviously realized what was going on, and cried laughing, but... sigh. To be innocent again!

"I'm familiar with it from Family Guy."

Perfect time for Ben's orchestra to kick in with the wah-wah-waaaah

Why would newcomers from the TV show not get that there's characters on the podcast? There's characters on the TV version.

It's been a bit of an odd run of episodes lately, Bob Zmuda not really being Tony Clifton, Adam Pally not really committing to being bro a few weeks ago. Before that, Tim Heidecker as himself but as a character version of himself, and last week the Burning Love episode was a bit different because it's characters from a pre-existing show. This isn't a criticism of those episodes at all, it's just that they're all slightly atypical first episodes for someone to listen to.

• Like 1

Tony Clifton, still not funny after all these years! Should have had Adomian on doing Giamatti describing how Zmuda always embellishes his contributions to Kaufman's output. And how his hotel room still smells like farts.

• Like 2

Very likely. As newcomers enter into the world of CBB and begin to figure out the show, I'm reminded of the first few episodes I listened to and why I love this podcast so much. Veteran listeners sometimes forget what it's like to spend a significant part of each show getting a feel for the pace and format of CBB, or learning the nuances of unfamiliar characters. After a few listens, you begin to feel more a part of the club.

The first one I listened to was the Amy Poehler/Adam Pally as David Fein one, and I could not understand for the life of me why this random comedian was being interviewed together with Amy. I felt so stupid once I realized what was happening, but yeah. It takes a little while depending on which episode you start with.

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of people complain about the quality or tone difference of this one. I look at it in the light that Zmuda was the partner in a team of groundbreaking comedians that propelled one of Scott's biggest influences through the major standards of show business back in the day. In meeting one of your heroes, you adjust your behavior and your methods a bit. If he wants to have Clifton on, of course Scott's going to put Clifton on the show, no matter how much of a doddering asshole he is.

I'll write more in depth about this after I finish kicking my grandfather in the teeth because he can't play a decent chess game anymore.

For those of us who pathologically hate mysteries

Bob Zmuda has played Tony Clifton since Kaufman died

Kaufman is a lot like Saturday Night Live or Pee Wee Herman he just doesn't play outside the US. Todays podcast sort of died for me once Clifton showed up, meh :huh:

I thought the ep was a lot of fun. Scott struggled to keep control of the whole thing, but I felt like it was a lot of fun. Maybe I'm biased though. I've been a huge fan of Clifton's since I was a kid. The man can do no wrong in my opinion. And Schwartz is always perfect on this podcast. So take my two cents for what they're worth.

I think the best Tony Clifton thing (for me) was the little known 'People's Court'-esque show he did called 'Stormy Justice with Tony Clifton'. - I bought it on ebay from a seller who claimed to be Zmuda's ex.

I finally found it online - Worth a watch for any Clifton fan.

http://ubu.com/film/...man_stormy.html

The link isn't working for me. :-(

Ok, here's my third and last comment.

It's really disturbing me how many people aren't 'getting' what's going on here. Maybe it's a product of this selfish, me-me-me generation that doesn't 'get' anything that came before the day they were born.

I'm 35 years old, and it irritates me the amount of people my age and under who don't know of comedians from before 1990. These are the same people who find Mencia hilarious and original. Ugh...

I consider myself a 'student' of comedy as it were, and I find people like Kaufman, Zmuda, and others of that ilk to be the fathers of alt-comedy. Maybe it's because my father appreciated all types of comedy and taught me to as well.

I sure as hell am teaching my kids to pay attention to things outside the bubble they live in. That way they don't get lost in confusion when a classic comedian shows up on a program they like.

Sheesh, these kids today...

• Like 1

The link isn't working for me. :-(

Yeah... I realized a day or two later that the link stopped working. Sadly, much deeper digging or torrenting seems to be required to view it. I'm bummed... Any Clifton fan would have LOVED it.

...and, of course, on this episode Tony is playing the character of a version of himself that is fully one with Bob Zmuda.

Stop.

Bright side: this ep sold me on Ben Schwartz as one of my favourite CBB guests for "as-himself" appearances. He was stellar for the entire front half.

Why would newcomers from the TV show not get that there's characters on the podcast? There's characters on the TV version.

It's been a bit of an odd run of episodes lately, Bob Zmuda not really being Tony Clifton, Adam Pally not really committing to being bro a few weeks ago. Before that, Tim Heidecker as himself but as a character version of himself, and last week the Burning Love episode was a bit different because it's characters from a pre-existing show. This isn't a criticism of those episodes at all, it's just that they're all slightly atypical first episodes for someone to listen to.

I was thinking this as well. My first exposure to CBB was the interview with Patton Oswalt and Don DiMello, and it perfectly encompassed what the show was. I feel like if I had started out with any of the past few episodes, I would not have been sold on the show. All of them are fun enough, but none of them really captures the essence of what CBB is.