🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cinco DeNio

Musical Mondays Week 107 Preview (Cam Bert's pick)

1 minute ago, GrahamS. said:

I’m entertained by Unspooled, but the whole concept of “the essential movie list” is pretty tired to me. I agree with Unspooled’s outlook that the AFI list was/is dated, but I wish they weren’t so focused on replacing it with ANOTHER list because lists are essentially bullshit. Just find good movies in all genres to discuss. Trying to rank them in terms of cultural relevance has always seemed weird to me, because film is too subjective to work that way.

that’s my opinion at least!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I was actually having trouble keeping up with movie watching for a while. What helped me was when Season 2 of Unspooled began, I stopped trying to watch the movies. It was feeling like too much to keep up with (especially when there were other movies I wanted to see), and the new season didn’t feel as essential as the AFI list. So, while I was bummed they didn’t stick with watching great films lists, it freed up a lot of my own time.

I woke up one Thursday and realized I forgot to watch the movie for that week. I didn't want to listen without having seen the movie then I just never listened again unless they died a movie I was extremely interested in hearing their opinions on. I'm glad they are expanding the canon of movies but just a (very loosely themed) random collection of movies up for debate doesn't interest me. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I woke up one Thursday and realized I forgot to watch the movie for that week. I didn't want to listen without having seen the movie then I just never listened again unless they died a movie I was extremely interested in hearing their opinions on. I'm glad they are expanding the canon of movies but just a (very loosely themed) random collection of movies up for debate doesn't interest me. 

That’s it for me too. Like @GrahamS.was saying, lists are kind of bullshit, but I liked idea of examining those lists. “Why this? Why that? It’s good technically but does it fail on an a pure entertainment level? Why are these mostly agreed upon as being the best?” I’m not really into “let’s just watch random movies and talk.” It really feels like a re-tread of The Canon, and I lost interest in that show for the same reason.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

That’s it for me too. Like @GrahamS.was saying, lists are kind of bullshit, but I liked idea of examining those lists. “Why this? Why that? It’s good technically but does it fail on an a pure entertainment level? Why are these mostly agreed upon as being the best?” I’m not really into “let’s just watch random movies and talk.” It really feels like a re-tread of The Canon, and I lost interest in that show for the same reason.

I think lists serve a purpose. There is something valuable about a group of people reaching a vague consensus of a movie being good/important/whatever. If everyone is saying movie x is great, then maybe it's worth checking out (or avoid if everyone says it's terrible). If there weren't lists, then maybe you'd never hear of some great movie. I don't see them any different than recommendations from friends and if everyone I know is talking about it, I'm more likely to check it out. It's just that major directors' opinions have more weight on an international scale than my friends.

But we don't need to be beholden to them either. If I see a great movie on the best X movies but I absolutely know it's not for me, I don't need to see it just to check a box.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

9 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I think lists serve a purpose. There is something valuable about a group of people reaching a vague consensus of a movie being good/important/whatever. If everyone is saying movie x is great, then maybe it's worth checking out (or avoid if everyone says it's terrible). If there weren't lists, then maybe you'd never hear of some great movie. I don't see them any different than recommendations from friends and if everyone I know is talking about it, I'm more likely to check it out. It's just that major directors' opinions have more weight on an international scale than my friends.

But we don't need to be beholden to them either. If I see a great movie on the best X movies but I absolutely know it's not for me, I don't need to see it just to check a box.

I think my main issue with this new version of Unspooled is that Paul and Amy are talking about films that they both like—as opposed to having to watch because it’s on a list—and then making their own list. It would be more interesting to me if they let the listeners choose the movies (as opposed to one choice out of every 4 or 8). Right now, it feels like Paul and Amy don’t have anyone to dissent with, and as a result (unless you really love/want to know more about the movie)it seems a little flat.

• Like 3

Oh, I'll chime in with my two cents now that I'm late to the party.

For my MM choices I would say it's kinda split between things that I have seen and things I have not yet seen. I at first thought that it should be things that mean something to me so I have stuff to talk about. That's why JCSS was my first pick because it is something that is very personal to me and my mother. However, I think the downside to picking something like that is you can't really view it objectively if it does mean a lot to you. After that I started picking things I hadn't seen unless in a pinch and then pick something I had. I think I'm more likely now to go with something new to me and everyone.

Also, I'm in mostly agreement with everybody here about movies and lists and Unspooled. I think the thing that killed it for me we the Unspooled movies being a bit longer than most movies and them doing like four three hour movies in a row. I just didn't have the time, and then never made it up. It's a shame because there are still a few on the list I haven't seen still. When I heard the new premise of the sure I was unsure. I think another thing that killed the podcast for me was the fact that Paul and Amy for the most part were on the same page. However, doing something like "The AFI Top 100" you are bound to get a majority of good movies which just lends to this. The only difference is when it is something a person is insanely passionate about I could listen to that. Lists are good because it gives you structure and it gives you things you might disagree on, but maybe pick a list that could be more polarizing. The IMDB top 100? A whole lot wrong with how those are picked but might create more discussion as well.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Oh, I'll chime in with my two cents now that I'm late to the party.

For my MM choices I would say it's kinda split between things that I have seen and things I have not yet seen. I at first thought that it should be things that mean something to me so I have stuff to talk about. That's why JCSS was my first pick because it is something that is very personal to me and my mother. However, I think the downside to picking something like that is you can't really view it objectively if it does mean a lot to you. After that I started picking things I hadn't seen unless in a pinch and then pick something I had. I think I'm more likely now to go with something new to me and everyone.

Also, I'm in mostly agreement with everybody here about movies and lists and Unspooled. I think the thing that killed it for me we the Unspooled movies being a bit longer than most movies and them doing like four three hour movies in a row. I just didn't have the time, and then never made it up. It's a shame because there are still a few on the list I haven't seen still. When I heard the new premise of the sure I was unsure. I think another thing that killed the podcast for me was the fact that Paul and Amy for the most part were on the same page. However, doing something like "The AFI Top 100" you are bound to get a majority of good movies which just lends to this. The only difference is when it is something a person is insanely passionate about I could listen to that. Lists are good because it gives you structure and it gives you things you might disagree on, but maybe pick a list that could be more polarizing. The IMDB top 100? A whole lot wrong with how those are picked but might create more discussion as well.

Speaking of being in a pinch, @Cam Bert, you're up!

The forum won't let me edit the original post so it will have to say Cakebug's pick until the end of the week.  If people would prefer I open a new thread instead, I can do that.

7 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Speaking of being in a pinch, @Cam Bert, you're up!

AHHH!

Well, you guys will have to wait until tomorrow. Trust me it will not be worth the wait.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

AHHH!

Well, you guys will have to wait until tomorrow. Trust me it will not be worth the wait.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

All right. I went through my list of picks and because it's the holiday season my mind turns to thoughts of Bing Crosby... but I thought we already are getting enough Christmas joy so way not spice it up with something Bing Crosby adjacent!

I give a movie according to letterboxd not many of us have seen but stars two funny people in a supposed serious movie. I wonder how this will pan out... I give to you my pick

71BykryC7nL._SL1000_.jpg

From what I can tell this is free on some streaming sites with ads. If not I apologize.

• Like 5

I love it when you guys pick movies I bought months ago but haven’t had a chance to watch yet 🤗👍

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I love it when you guys pick movies I bought months ago but haven’t had a chance to watch yet 🤗👍

Deep down, I think I might have known that. That or our Tomax and Xamot powers 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Deep down, I think I might have known that. That or our Tomax and Xamot powers 

tenor.gif?itemid=17284751

• Like 3

When my pick comes up you'll get a chance to watch The Ice Capades Presents: Oh! Calcutta! You're welcome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

When my pick comes up you'll get a chance to watch The Ice Capades Presents: Oh! Calcutta! You're welcome.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

All right. I went through my list of picks and because it's the holiday season my mind turns to thoughts of Bing Crosby... but I thought we already are getting enough Christmas joy so way not spice it up with something Bing Crosby adjacent!

I give a movie according to letterboxd not many of us have seen but stars two funny people in a supposed serious movie. I wonder how this will pan out... I give to you my pick

71BykryC7nL._SL1000_.jpg

From what I can tell this is free on some streaming sites with ads. If not I apologize.

I’ve never seen it, should be interesting! I think it’s a quirky drama. The guy who wrote it—Dennis Potter, I think —was responsible for the 80s  BBC miniseries The Singing Detective with Michael Gannon, which was definitely unique.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

I’ve never seen it, should be interesting! I think it’s a quirky drama. The guy who wrote it—Dennis Potter, I think —was responsible for the 80s  BBC miniseries The Singing Detective with Michael Gannon, which was definitely unique.

It was before your time, but we watched the RDJ version of The Singing Detective a couple of years ago as one of @tomspanks picks. It was...unique.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

It was before your time, but we watched the RDJ version of The Singing Detective a couple of years ago as one of @tomspanks picks. It was...unique.

Yeah, I heard about that movie. I liked the miniseries, wasn’t sure how they could cut 6 hours down to 2 successfully.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Yeah, I heard about that movie. I liked the miniseries, wasn’t sure how they could cut 6 hours down to 2 successfully.

They didn't cut it down successfully! I found the miniseries dragged but the movie was very rushed. Also RDJ did not come anywhere near Michael Gambon's performance.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

This made me think back on all my picks and it made me lol. 

• Like 4

tumblr_inline_p7ufb4C7By1s0xsnj_540.gif

• Like 3

tumblr_mqmtaujoC71sujyc4o1_500.gifv

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

tumblr_mqmtaujoC71sujyc4o1_500.gifv

RDJ will probably be endlessly grateful for Iron Man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1