๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Cinco DeNio

Musical Mondays Week 107 Pennies from Heaven

I just wanted to say I read this thread title as "107 Penises From Heaven" and thought it would be a very different film. ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

ย 

You know that was one of the thing I wanted to bring up. I thought for the first 15 minutes or so that Steve Martin was miscast. I felt he was a bit muggy at first. In the musical numbers I could get it because being a style thing but maybe I was just thinking of his more toned down later dramatic work. I think it wasn't until he picked up the accordion man that I started to click more with his performance. Then by their next meeting I was sold on him and his performance which I think only gets better the more we see his character unfold. I'm curious if going back to the start now knowing who he is and what he's really like if the performance is better for me. Like you said it's more because Martin is kind of unassuming. He can be funny, he can be charming, be innocent and he can have a bit of an edge to him. I think Hoskins was a great actor but it's hard to shake that feeling that he's two second from a knocking your lights out even when he's being a nice guy. I think Jonathan Pryce would have been good.ย 

Nooooooope. One of my unpopular opinions is that The Shining is overrated. In the truest sense of that. Not that it's bad, it's a good and very well made movie but not the untouchable scariest movie of all time it is often sold as. The biggest problem I have with the film is Jack Nicholson. He's not a bad actor but the character is suppose to slowly slip into madness as he struggles with his alcoholism and inner demons. I think you don't get that from him at all. He's almost at the same level through and film and from the start seems already a little off. Considering that the Arthur role requires a bit of the same I just don't see it at all.

Not arguing with you at all. While I like The Shining, I agree with you 100%. To me, itโ€™s a three-starย art house B-movie thatโ€™s fun and stylish, but also cold and not very engaging on an emotional level, which I feel more and more any time I rewatch it. I thought Doctor Sleep-while not perfect-was a much better film in terms of being character driven and I actually prefer that movie.

I wasnโ€™t arguing that Jack should have been cast, just wanted to point out that this oroject was already in the works before Steve Martin got involved.

• Like 2

Iโ€™d alsoย ad that Hoskins must have been right for the role because he originated it in the miniseries.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Thatโ€™s a great point! Heโ€™s such a weasel that you want to see him punished โ€” butย the punishment doesnโ€™t fit the crime at all. Thatโ€™s such an interesting dynamic. Why does a death sentence feel justified here?

Umm...

giphy.gif

(Just kidding)

• Like 3

I started watching the miniseries on youtube today. The first episode is really good. Bob Hoskins is giving a very different performance that isn't so creepy (yet).ย Unfortunately, I see the last episode isn't in youtube and there's no place to stream it. So, I guess I had better give up before I get too invested.

• Like 5

Okay. Question time! I imagine one of the thing, glum story aside, that put off a lot of people were the musical numbers. Most probably went in expecting the actors singing and not just lip synching.ย Ignoring the meaning behind the characters lip synching to already recorded songs, if we wanted to make this movie a marketable success do you think having the actors actually sing the songs would have helped it at the box office?

• Like 2

I don't think that would've helped the marketability all that much, but I think it would have made the film better. Though I guess a better film is going to be more marketable, so maybe. I liked the movie enough myself, but the lip synching was something I didn't, even though I understood why they did it that way.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I started watching the miniseries on youtube today. The first episode is really good. Bob Hoskins is giving a very different performance that isn't so creepy (yet).ย Unfortunately, I see the last episode isn't in youtube and there's no place to stream it. So, I guess I had better give up before I get too invested.

It's blocked in the U.S. but might be available in Canada or Europe.ย  If you have a VPN that lets you appear as if you're in another country that might work as well.ย  (I found a different YouTube user who posted all 6 episodes.)

Episode 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svPiW06tu2U&list=PLmRu2axUu2LFVlpd8eabc2Zn9NKoUTs9H&index=86&ab_channel=CelticUnited58

Episode 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoF_1nbnqoQ&list=PLmRu2axUu2LFVlpd8eabc2Zn9NKoUTs9H&index=87&ab_channel=CelticUnited58

Episode 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcVy8Vyk5UM&list=PLmRu2axUu2LFVlpd8eabc2Zn9NKoUTs9H&index=88&ab_channel=CelticUnited58

Episode 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ1lILsFDtI&list=PLmRu2axUu2LFVlpd8eabc2Zn9NKoUTs9H&index=89&ab_channel=CelticUnited58

Episode 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWGxKCPrhHo&list=PLmRu2axUu2LFVlpd8eabc2Zn9NKoUTs9H&index=90&ab_channel=CelticUnited58

Episode 6

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azkOYVzqucI&list=PLmRu2axUu2LFVlpd8eabc2Zn9NKoUTs9H&index=91&ab_channel=CelticUnited58

ย 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Off-topic: YouTube's The Shows Must Go On! channel is showingย Kinky Bootsย from this Friday at 2 p.m. to Sunday at 2 p.m.

ย 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Thanks. That's weird because I tried going through a vpn yesterday. It was the only way I could see the episodes after 3. It worked today though.ย 

What VPN do you use?

11 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Off-topic: YouTube's The Shows Must Go On! channel is showingย Kinky Bootsย from this Friday at 2 p.m. to Sunday at 2 p.m.

ย 

I plan to Kast this on Friday night at 9 p.m. Eastern.ย  I've never seen it but I've heard good things.ย  It has music by Cyndiย Lauper.ย  The original movie wasn't a musical or it would have been on my list of possibles.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I don't think that would've helped the marketability all that much, but I think it would have made the film better. Though I guess a better film is going to be more marketable, so maybe. I liked the movie enough myself, but the lip synching was something I didn't, even though I understood why they did it that way.

I think I was slightly put off by it in the first number, then I came around on it. I get that being a big hurdle though and I think probably was the thing that hurt the audience reception the most.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

I think I was slightly put off by it in the first number, then I came around on it. I get that being a big hurdle though and I think probably was the thing that hurt the audience reception the most.

Maybe, but I also think the story itself is dark and weird and a little inaccessible. It's not the most commercial thing, as it was presented this way. No idea if the earlier versions were better at this

I admit I was a simple mass (hey I was in my teens) when this came out.ย  It wasn't Steve Martin being wild and crazy so I didn't care to go see it.ย  I have seen him in dramas since so I was happy to get the chance to visit it this past week.ย  It was a great selection.ย  I love Musical Mondays getting me to watch ones I've meant to see for years.

LegalLateDesertpupfish-size_restricted.g

T6pU.gif

• Like 3

I watched a little bit ofย The Dictator and can confirm Jason is still in it.

• Like 1

I just started listening to McCartney III. Already Iย think I like it more than Egypt Station. Feels more raw and experimental โ€” it feels kind of like McCartney I butย with better production values.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I just started listening to McCartney III. Already Iย think I like it more than Egypt Station. Feels more raw and experimental โ€” it feels kind of like McCartney I butย with better production values.

I've listened to it once. It's definitely better than Egypt Station. I don't have any strong thoughts on it other than it's all right.

The first song has a weird sound for Paul. It sounds like some riff I would have come up with in college. Paul's voice on Women And Wives is a choice. Deep Deep Feeling doesn't need to be 8 minutes long. That's about it.ย 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I've listened to it once. It's definitely better than Egypt Station. I don't have any strong thoughts on it other than it's all right.

The first song has a weird sound for Paul. It sounds like some riff I would have come up with in college. Paul's voice on Women And Wives is a choice. Deep Deep Feeling doesn't need to be 8 minutes long. That's about it.ย 

I really liked the first song, and pretty much the whole package together. Like, it feels like a concept album. The problem is, I didn't feel a lot of distinction between the songs. It's not the best thing he's ever done, but it's middle of the road, and I don't hate that.ย 

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

I really liked the first song, and pretty much the whole package together. Like, it feels like a concept album. The problem is, I didn't feel a lot of distinction between the songs. It's not the best thing he's ever done, but it's middle of the road, and I don't hate that.ย 

The first song wasn't at all what I was expecting. So that was refreshing. I agree that it's somewhere in the middle. The only problem is no obvious single. Every album since Flaming Pie has had a song or two that was very clearly the most commercial and this didn't have anything like that. I guess that's the trade off for no bad songs either.

• Like 1

I went real nuts and just pre-ordered Ringoโ€™s new EP ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘€

• Like 1
  • huh? 1
  • Hedgehog 1

52 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

More dedicated than I am. I believe the last studio Ringo album I got was Ringo Rama.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

More dedicated than I am. I believe the last studio Ringo album I got was Ringo Rama.

I bought his Christmas album last year. I think the only complete Ringo album (aside from Greatest Hots) I have ever owned was Ringo.