đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAmazing

Bonus: The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone

Surprised that I had to create this thread myself, but I'll be glad to do it.

I haven't seen the recut, but the episode was so focused on the original that I don't feel like I absolutely have to just to discuss it. It's been long enough that I'd have to watch both versions back-to-back to notice the differences.

I have to agree that Part III is a really mixed bag. The single most on-point review of the original was just by a random Rotten Tomatoes user who said that it was decent, but that the Godfather series deserves way better than just "decent."

Another thing that I really have to bring up is that I wouldn't give so much of a pass to Sophia Coppola as the hosts did. Sometimes she does a good enough job, but there are other moments where she feels like she's just a random person off the street flatly reading lines. Like, not even "amateur" is a good enough description, because your average amateur theater actor could do better than that. She's a great director, but not a great actor.

2 hours ago, CaptainAmazing said:

I have to agree that Part III is a really mixed bag. The single most on-point review of the original was just by a random Rotten Tomatoes user who said that it was decent, but that the Godfather series deserves way better than just "decent."

I haven't watched the new cut, but I remember thinking the same about Part III. A lot of folks said it was terrible, but I thought it was just that: decent. Sofia isn't good in it, George Hamilton is a poor replacement for Robert Duvall, and some of the plot is hard to follow. On the other hand, Andy Garcia is pretty great, the direction of Talia Shire's character is interesting, and the end of Michael's story works well. So yeah, a mixed bag but I never thought it was a bad movie. It's just nowhere near as good as the originals.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this